Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Exciting Changes & Announcements for Wurm Online

On 7/6/2023 at 3:07 PM, Miretta said:

About argument to merge servers to bring people together:

1. If people wanted to play with others in close proximity, they WILL seek others out, we have recruitment threads and people who will jump on the opportunity to invite others to their village. They can choose it, it's available, no one is forced to play by themselves if they don't want to
2. the same way: players who don't want to play in direct proximity to others WILL seek out remote places and they certainly would not like it if someone was to suddenly force everyone together.

Those are 2 different playstyles and one should not be prioritized over the other, they are both valid and both present and possible in the way wurm currently is.

Meanwhile there are many players who probably enjoy wurm for it's longevity and the long lasting impact you can have on the world. It's one of the strengths of wurm. Deleting everything to create one mega server so "people can be more together" is going to ruin this and this was already very badly received on previous occasions (the tutorial server that once existed *gold something* and other cases and as others stated, playernumbers didn't recover from that).
Then I want to remind about lag/server capacity. Even if we were to bring everyone together, have you forgotten how laggy it is during events like impalongs or dragon fights? do you want to promote that this should be happening everywhere all the time? It would make the game unplayable.
Not to mention the drama....From all my years playing wurm, the more people are together in a small area, the more conflict is likely to come out of it. GMs could probably attest to that.

Also why is it, that people jump on the idea of merging servers, but not on the idea to do everything possible to increase players? Is server merging the more attractive/easier/shortterm "solution"? or is it a matter of not believing that wurm can ever have more players than what we currently have? Server merge is not a solution, it's an easy shortterm "quickfix".

Also, if you wipe wurm, you also wipe part of the game. The history of wurm, what players left behind, at this point, can be called "game content".

It's not that that wurm players want to be far apart, it's that there's simply nothing bringing us together making us want to live near each other.

It's a matter of benefit vs negative.  A neighbor will disrupt your plans for different builds, etc, and possibly create drama.  Meanwhile there's really no benefit to being close together, as you can simply mail anything to each other.

The game needed a lot of changes to really succeed in that area, more multiplayer opportunities.  Wurm has always had this problem of each player doing their own thing, and 1-3 players of each village literally better at everything than the casuals.  Then the casuals quit, leaving only the 1-3 super grinders, and they do everything for the village.  Still no playing together, as you will literally spend hours at a forge or whatever grinding away, effectively reducing the game to single player.

Edited by sweatygopher

I have 16 years of upkeep in the coffers on deli.. (7gold plus trader)
if there are any plans to sink the servers i'd recommend offering refunds to those most gratuitiously affected by their own investments.
If server merging doesn't destroy anything i'm all for it.

Edited by Steveleeb

2 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

I have 16 years of upkeep in the coffers on deli.. (7gold)
if there are any plans to sink the servers i'd recommend offering refunds to those most gratuitiously affected by their own investments.
If server merging doesn't destroy anything i'm all for it.

Which is why I, on NFI, would not be happy with server merges.

10 years head start is a LOT of savings.  Multiply that times everyone on SFI - active and who would come back, even just to check it out/cash out.....

I'd instantly go from being comfortable with my silver balance to being dirt poor.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Homestead said:

10 years head start is a LOT of savings.  Multiply that times everyone on SFI - active and who would come back, even just to check it out/cash out.....

I'd instantly go from being comfortable with my silver balance to being dirt poor.

I'd be really curious to see just how much more money is on SFI compared to NFI. I don't really care for dealing with the market much in Wurm so I don't have much frame of reference, but it really does feel like SFI is going to have way more money floating around than NFI. Combined with there being many more years to build up items on SFI, it probably would completely overwhelm NFI's economy overnight

23 minutes ago, Homestead said:

there's no compounding interest in wurm so i'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, if someone has 7 gold in their deed upkeep they obviously bought it from the shop same as anyone on nfi can (for much cheaper now, i should add)

as of right now according to the currency graphs there's 3802 gold across every single sfi toon ever made, and 2222 gold across every nfi toon ever made. the vast majority of that is most likely on people that won't ever log in, as for example there's currently 370 gold across epic which has basically 0 playerbase to actually have silver, and if they were still active would have sold it pre-rmt removal/moved it to freedom/sold for nfi currency of which the current going rate is <1s sfi to 1s nfi. for silver per server cadence is just behind xanadu with 1042 gold vs 1021 gold, second is harmony vs inde at 777 gold vs 772 gold, so per person nfi has more silver on average and it'd be the other way around

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Homestead said:

That is a thing called envy.  If you were rich before you would still be rich.  "Wah, someone else is even richer" is not a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Homestead said:

just corius, why do it matter that someone has more upkeep then you or even coins? will that effect you in anyway?

Theres probably a few on SFI that has horded silver over the years but i think most is in the same boat, just keeping deed above.

• Like 1

I did some stats on the MRTG logs. These numbers are subject to me not having screwed up the calculations, of course.

North currently has on average 25.07 silver per deed in upkeep, south currently has on average 21.33 silver per deed in upkeep. Here north actually is richer.

The total bank money is known but there is no definitive player count, so instead you can calculate the average money in bank accounts per deed as a proxy. North has on average 106.76 silver banked per deed, south has 127.39. South has a bit more money in the bank but it's actually not a big difference.

• Like 3