Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nitara

large mined room

Question for you uber miners.  Let's say I want to mine a very large room underground, quite deep.  I know I should start high.  What I want to know is will I be able to have a ramp spiraling down to the bottom that is open to the room? or should I create an entry path several tiles outside from where the outer wall of the room will be, working in as I go down?

Basically what I'm asking is can I have a large O room with a ramp progressively closer to the center (like you can with dirt) or do I need to have an additional concentric ring of Os spiraling lower? I am sure they'd need to be a full tile separated to be able to actually mine through if that were the case.  Hoping the former is true as I would really rather have the full room visible the whole time.

Thanks for any help! :)

You cant build an exact spire downwards, as Wurm doesnt have multiple stories. best is to build a ramp down. 2 tiles wide so it doesnt collapse.

If you mine the ramp spiralling inwards, your problem is that the ceiling will also have to descend inwards as you get towards the centre, as you won't be able to reach up to mine it more than about 30 actions higher than it usually goes in any place.

To get a very deep very large room, with the ceiling at the same height all the way across, you'd have to mine it first as the room of the size you wanted all at the highest level, and then manually mine it down (keeping a careful count of actions at every corner if you want to keep it regular) to create your spiralling ramp. I think this will take about 3 times (or a little more) as long to create a cavern of the size you want (i.e. around 50 actions to break a tile, but a normal cave tile is about 40 dirts tall and you have to mine every corner, so removing the same amount of rock manually requires 160 actions ), but it's possibly the only way to get the look you want, if I understand it correctly.

You are more or less correct in your OP.

You would start the room high up and make it very large.

Then you would mine the whole floor down by 20 except the one tile at the entrance which becomes a 20 high pedestal with 20 steep ramps.

Then you mine the whole floor down 20 again except that tile and the one beside it.

Repeat till you have a ramp round three walls of the room except leaving a one tile gap between the last tile on wall three and the first tile on wall one (so a very steep one-tile drop between tile 1 and that last tile on wall 3).

Then start all over again.

Yes. You need one tile between each ring of the spiral and your corner tiles should be flat.

Supposing your room is a square N tiles wide you would drop something like 20 * N*2*(N-2) each three ramps. The next three ramps you would decrease you would use N-2 instead of N.

Not perfectly exact but it should give you a rough idea.

Your overall drop would be something the above applied N/2 times.

If your going to be entereing the mine regularly on foot rather in a cart you have to be careful of high slopes as you're likely to fall off inside the cavern. An alternative is to make the tunnel in 1 tile wide, and switch back and forth leaving only a single tile in betwee, Then make sure you reinforce the single line of tiles between the tunnel lines. This means you need 1/2 the reinforcements to secure your tunnel.

Thank you all for the help!

hehe.  I won't mention how large I want to make this room, or why... but yeah.  long term project.  Need to save up for a very nice pick maybe.  heh.

If you haven't yet, read up on gaining mining skill, a regular pick is good to start with.

falling in a cave doesnt matter. no fall damage there.  might be a bit slower to get back out if you are almost to the top and slip tho.

but yes to the OP the idea is feasable. just have to keep careful track of your mining as you go..

Thank you all for the help!

hehe.  I won't mention how large I want to make this room, or why... but yeah.  long term project.  Need to save up for a very nice pick maybe.  heh.

I'm guessing you want to build a colossus at the bottom.

Trying to think up a sort of if-not-worst-case-then-still-pretty-horrible scenario ...

Imagine having mined out a 3x3 with 300, 500, whatever tall walls ... and then having the middle tile collapse.  :o

Trying to think up a sort of if-not-worst-case-then-still-pretty-horrible scenario ...

Imagine having mined out a 3x3 with 300, 500, whatever tall walls ... and then having the middle tile collapse.  :o

fufufu2.jpg

Rolf should put in a Mag spell to wizkill veins, if he hasn't already.

It would have some strategic warfare value too.  ;D

That wouldn't be impossibly bad - regardless of the height of the walls, the ore vein would take the same number of actions to remove. Okay, so it's 100-65000, but it might not be too bad.

Here's something worse... imagine if a block of 4 tiles together collapsed, so the corner where they all joined no longer had the height of the top (and bottom, but particularly top) of it pre-defined. Since you couldn't ever get above it to mine it down, I think you'd basically have to collapse your whole room (or a sizeable section of it so you could run a path from the highest level to the collapsed section) and start over.  :'(

You're of course right, Artashes ... one tile wouldn't be too bad. Granted, a vein would be a challenge, but doable. But if it was only one tile, the ceiling corners would of course still be at original height.

Very expensive: but cant you use a Shaker Orb to kill a vein?

Yes but you might just get another vein for your trouble heh.

What? Can shaker orbs be used to kill veins?  :o