Sign in to follow this  
Jeixi

Server Resets/Crashes really hate animal lovers

So, you might remember me as the guy who lost a cow a while back when the server crashed. Well, I happened to be in the middle of leading a bison I found to my home, when the server was reset this morning. Now, I highly doubt I'll still be leading the bison when I log back on, and he'll most likely wander onto a nearby deeded area where I can't lead him, or disappear entirely. Also, I'll have to go check on all my other livestock to make sure none of them are outside the fences, or gone entirely. Maybe I don't really NEED that bison, I have lots of others. But still, I'm getting tired of losing animals to server resets and crashes. I should have really stuck with farming oak trees.

• Like 1

bison isnt a big loss and there are always 5-10min notifications.

Best way is to lead it to a cave with you on a restart if far from home or tame it.

Wow, it's a miracle, the bison was still in the same place when I logged back in. Now to check on all my other critters.

Okay, all the critters are in their pens. Guess a quick server reset isn't as bad as a crash.

Crashes cause the problem because AFAIK unlike players who regularly have their location saved on the server, animals fairly rarely get saved.  When a crash occurs the server returns to last known locations, which is fine for players but can be bad for animals.  Those animals can sometimes return to a place hours if not a day or 2 before, if they have not moved much.  When this happens, it is nice to remember where you had been with the animal, it will likely be somewhere along the path you had taken it unless enough time has passed for the animal to wander.

When the servers reset, or it is an announced downtime, I assume animal locations get saved where they were at that moment.

My animals some how keep hoping fences I and others keep finding them far from home. I'm now moving them to other deed and plan to double fence and a third fence hedges. Even my saddled horses move a few tiles from where I leave them.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't saddled horses supposed to move just a little? I know they don't graze all over the place like the unsaddled horses, but I was under the impression that a saddled horse is still allowed to move a little... one or two tiles around.

Can someone clarify this?

how about i leave it in a donut house and find it the next day 6 tiles on otherside of the donut building.  or leave in stone building  then in the morning it's outside?  my deed is cursed

Yea, that is suspicious. I was refering more to a horse just moving a tile or two, no more.

how about i leave it in a donut house and find it the next day 6 tiles on otherside of the donut building.  or leave in stone building  then in the morning it's outside?  my deed is cursed

My area is mostly tall stone walls with one side mostly fences on a really tall hill overlooking the coast. I've had to go sailing the coast to find my animals really far off, and found a few horses out in the middle of the ocean. I had a cow somehow teleport into someone else's fenced in area before also a good five minute walk away from where it had been. I had a Raidhappy disappear entirely. And this has just been in the past few days. This kind of problem could really disrupt someone's farming, even put them out of the livestock business for good.

from what ive seen of my saddled horses,theyll stand right in one spot,wont budge on their own,and starve.i have to move mine routinely or he goes from fat to just a name to,well,cmon.sigh.but i do it,id rather rolf fixed real stuff<goes to turn and move and lags in rl as the distant walls render fully

well,i cant get on,i get hung up on connecting... and then after a bit get that software in my machine aborted the connection.did a file check and all,just wont get past that

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't saddled horses supposed to move just a little? I know they don't graze all over the place like the unsaddled horses, but I was under the impression that a saddled horse is still allowed to move a little... one or two tiles around.

Can someone clarify this?

I can vouch for having seen two saddled horses on different occasions stand there and starve to death when their owners left for long periods and I couldn't get to them, Both had access to grass on all the tiles around them but never budged.

I can vouch for having seen two saddled horses on different occasions stand there and starve to death when their owners left for long periods and I couldn't get to them, Both had access to grass on all the tiles around them but never budged.

Aged Starving Loyalsteed: That grass on the next tile looks so delicious.. But Master is gone, so I can't ask his permission to move. Oh well. I'm sure I'll survive til he logs on again....

I had two get out of a stone locked pen when the server crashed/reset. Found one the other is still lost. Guess its time to build them a indoor stable lol.