Sign in to follow this  
Bart

Support Beams

I'd like to see a change to support beams

On-Deed

No Change to Function while above 30 days in upkeep.

[02:38:11] The cave wall has been reinforced with thick wooden beams and metal bands. These sturdy beams look well cared for and will last indefinitely.

Off-Deed or below 30 days upkeep

Support beams will slowly decay, meaning over time, abandoned mines will be reclaimed by collapses and/or can be altered without the need to deed an area to remove them.

No decay:

[02:38:11] The cave wall has been reinforced with thick wooden beams and metal bands. These sturdy beams look like they will last a long time. (180 days left?)

Then varying degrees of decay:

[02:38:11] The cave wall has been reinforced with thick wooden beams and metal bands. It looks like the wood is beginning to rot here. (90 days left?)

[02:38:11] The cave wall has been reinforced with thick wooden beams and metal bands. The beams look very feeble and rocks have fallen through in some places. (20 days left?)

Of course for those who have off-deed mines you would be able to repair the beams, maybe using 4kg of a log (something not too excessive)

During the last 30 days of upkeep, decay as with all things should be increased, and the chance of having a cave-in should increase to help the area be reclaimed

Alternatively, Support beams could act similar to roads, if people walk onto the tile they are connected to, they will not decay

Edited by Bart
  • Like 1

-1, repairing support beams, that would be terrible...

Same as repairing walls?

This type of topic has been brought up before, and it has never ended well. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Some way to bypass them is really a better idea then anything else, nothing in wurm cant be bypassed except for reinforced walls(and lava walls I guess)

Currently, you can place a deed over reinforced tiles, if they need to be removed.

I wouldn't mind reinforcements decaying after a long, long while.

I think the center of any previous arguments is both sides settling on a common definition of "a long, long while."

+1

I heard about them collapsing on GV before. Could this have to do with people not entering the mine for a long time, like how road tiles decay when not used?

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Well, that is actually a good time frame for decay, roads take for ever to decay away even when not walked on. I think setting them to the decay of roads would satisfy both sides, as the people who want decay will get decay, and the people that wish for it not to be, it will get beams that take forever to decay away, and will be either deeded over or forgotten by the time a good portion of the beams will have decayed.

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 1

I think the center of any previous arguments is both sides settling on a common definition of "a long, long while."

well, thats why i put (180 days) like that, i think half a year if you don't repair at all is a decent amount of time

Currently, you can place a deed over reinforced tiles, if they need to be removed.

Well, you can currently be permanently trapped/ items can be 100% protected using reinforcements. Can't always drop a deed, and really shoudnt have to.

-1 to any form of support decay on freedom, they are critical to deed security. Also every hr added to maintainence is an hr removed from actually playing the game or interacting with others. They are easily removed by deeding over them, and if u cant deed over them its because someone is already protecting them with a deed. I do see that making them destructable under ones own perimeter would be very useful without adding to griefing possiblities.

Edited by tobaul

Same as repairing walls?

walls are build most of time just on deed, boatmines/safemines dont have or can be on deed, bad comparison here imo

I'm wondering if they can be destroyed by casting lava on top of them then freezing the resulting lava wall...