Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Overhaul To Winter.

OKAY, so this is going off of the longer winter months, just want to put that out there ( 5 months being winter, inplace of 2 or whatever it is now. Like it was pre-1.0)

WINTER. A peaceful nice quite snowy time of the year.. But WAIT, this is Wurm, let me restart that.. 

WINTER! A hellishly cold time of the year when all wurmians cling to the warmth of their fires indoors, daring not step outside lest you be taken down by the cold and icy winds!

I propose a HUGE overhaul to winter, to bring more of a challenge to the game, and a bit more realism. I mean, come now ;) This is Wurm not some pansy normal game!

FIRST of all, Winter re-put back the 5months like pre 1.0.

SECONDLY, the cold of winter affecting your character..

The autumn months are ending, you can feel the chill of winter in the air.. <-- This is an event pop-up you get, much like say.. it always showing you /who when you get online? In the last two weeks of autumn, it gives you this everytime you log on aswell.

THIRDLY, Fur/cloth clothing! SO, let's say you walk around OUTSIDE without anything on during the winter months, you can get very light ''frostbite'' wounds on your hands/feet, which will overtime turn into  light/medium etc frostbite wounds... UNLESS, you're wearing fur or cloth clothing! Leather armor just won't do for the ordinary peasent during winter.

UNLEESSS, you're in a house with an oven/forge/campfire going, so let's say you're within a 3-tile radius (3x3) of a forge/oven/campfire during winter, while in that radius, if the fire is lit, you will suffer NO ill affects from the cold.. AAANNNDD you will recieve a buff, BUT ONLY IF YOU STOOD IN THE 3-TILE RADIUS OF THE LIT THING FOR 2 MINUTES OR MORE, and the buff '' Warmth'' will give you cold immunity for a real-life hour ( so 8 wurm hours)

I know, this is a little complicated but bear with me.

FARMING DURING WINTER: It's impossible. What with the often freezes, your plants are gonna die. This will instill the point to FARM DURING THE REGULAR MONTHS, and get a nice veggie supply for winter, or you're gonna be living off of meat.

LIVESTOCK DURING WINTER: A small chance ( 1-5%? ) for an animal outdoors to catch a frostbite wound, bring it near a lit forge/oven/campfire though and it'll immedietly go away. ( This is optional, methinks. Would be fine with or without. )

Will add more ideas as I get them/they're posted below.. It's just, I know this makes the game harder folks, but Wurm is not an easy game, and should be made a little rough/real.

Longer winter months would be awesome but no it shouldn't affect your character , it could kill newbies in the game that don't know how to do anything. Also walking around in Fur Armour in pvp during winter errr just no lol 

Longer winter months would be awesome but no it shouldn't affect your character , it could kill newbies in the game that don't know how to do anything. Also walking around in Fur Armour in pvp during winter errr just no lol 

Switch over to your chain for war, but stay in furs on the homestead.

i think its just over the top maybe on freedom servers? but i dont think on pvp servers this would work well..

As farmer I am very biased and the instant I read the farming limitation for that implemention suggested: Nope!  -1

I prefer the dynamic seasons as it is now, it gives a nice realistic feel to it.

Edited by Raamkozijn

I think winter is fine currently, people especially wouldn't like their crops dying over during winter.

As cool as this sounds, all that would happen is a bunch of people would let their prem run out for the entire winter and Rolf would make a lot less money.

• Like 1

As cool as this sounds, all that would happen is a bunch of people would let their prem run out for the entire winter and Rolf would make a lot less money.

Meh, good point..

Wurm seasons just seem.. so uninfluencing. Nothing changes playstyle :/

As farmer I am very biased and the instant I read the farming limitation for that implemention suggested: Nope!  -1

I prefer the dynamic seasons as it is now, it gives a nice realistic feel to it.

You do realize you just called uneventful season periods in this game dynamic right?  The only thing that happens when one season gives way to another is the change in textures of the environment ( a very small change mind you ).  I think AT BEST the word you are looking for is "different" and not dynamicDynamic expresses compounding changes and fundamentals in game play, not a difference in a few textures.

While I would like to see winter be a bit longer, the game is not ready for seasons to have any real effect.  We still need sheep for wool clothing, fur clothing/armors still need to be created, and true winter would cause new players to starve before spring comes and they can farm.  Also, with the grind needed to get skilled in farming, no one would want extended periods when they could not farm to gain skill.  So -1, we don't need or want that much realism in the game.

You do realize you just called uneventful season periods in this game dynamic right?  The only thing that happens when one season gives way to another is the change in textures of the environment ( a very small change mind you ).  I think AT BEST the word you are looking for is "different" and not dynamicDynamic expresses compounding changes and fundamentals in game play, not a difference in a few textures.

I went with the word "dynamic" as that's what it was called when implemented. As opposed to the manual changing of the seasons that was done before, it now works on a timer, thus being dynamic; A force that stimulates change or progress within a system or process. (The change in this case being the textures changing with the season.)

-edit- fixed a typo

Edited by Raamkozijn

I'd be down with something this. A better idea for the farming limitation would be to simply just freeze the growth timers during winter, or slow them down significantly. Maybe it would be worth it to alter the growth to enable fields to become messy without advancing in age, to permit raking during winter but not harvest. That way people aren't really losing anything to the season, and can resume as normal once spring arrives. The main reason I like this is because it would make stockpiling resources a bit more meaningful. Right now it isn't very rewarding when you know that all you're doing as a farmer all year round is topping off your ten-thousand-veggie-strong stores that never really runs any risk to shrink.

I don't think we're ready for continually inflicted cold damage however. A de-buff at most is all I can imagine working out, countered by clothing items that we don't yet have.

Finally, the fact that some players, who are in their comfort zone with the current mechanics, oppose this doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

I went with the word "dynamic" as that's what it was called when implemented. As opposed to the manual changing of the seasons that was done before, it now works on a timer, thus being dynamic; A force that stimulates change or progress within a system or process. (The change in this case being the textures changing with the season.)

-edit- fixed a typo

Dynamic is still too strong of a word for what happens when seasons change on Wurm.  It isn't complex and compelling enough to have earned the word dynamic.