Sign in to follow this  
shylor

Character Interface

I would really love having a character interface like standard games. This could be a graphical interface that showed the character, show wounded areas of the body highlighted and hovered over for more detail, and have slots for things you could equip, like boots, gloves, shields weapons and such.

I think this would greatly increase the new user experience.

You can already view your character by pressing the "Y" key (by default.) I suppose it'd be cool if that window was expanded on though :)

I agree ;) it would be nice to have a more user friendly interface in many ways ;) but i think I heard they are working on stuff like this, just as they are not many people, they have alot to do ;)

(and before someone complains: without removing complexity)

why are you suggesting something we have already

I think he's suggesting a paper doll type of window where you can just drag armor and weapons directly from your inventory to it and it automatically equips it. The damage would be highlighted on the paper doll in the areas that are affected also.

So it is and it isn't the same thing. For one it would make equipping and removing armor less tedious.

Edited by Laiwyn

Yeah only thing i got a problem with the most is switching from bow to sword and shield.

Yeah only thing i got a problem with the most is switching from bow to sword and shield.

Or a click on a piece of armor to equip, if another piece of armor is worn it swaps.

Or a click on a piece of armor to equip, if another piece of armor is worn it swaps.

+1

+1 to removing body from the inventory window. It should be graphical UI on the character window, if necessary using 2D boxes for equipment slots, though selectable 3D is preferred. If you have a backpack that should just open another inventory window so we can drag/drop from that over to our personal inventory much easier.

Just because the program thinks of body as a container of containers, does not mean that a click tree is the best way to show it. It is incredibly annoying after a bad fight having to expand all to see all your wounds, because that expands all the containers on your torso as well. If you have a bad foot then just red outline/shade it on the character. There is no need to know some part of the leg is bad with character UI, because you can see it is your foot that is bad without having to expand the tree.

Edited by yarnevk

Then there must be an option for Left or Right for gloves etc so it's no longer one click :/

Anyway we are working on a GUI design but we are still in the design (documentation) state.

I can see where this is going, but it would be a massive overhaul considering the mechanics behind how arrows from quivers are taken, wounds are inflicted/displayed, holding containers, casting on wounds, healing other players' wounds, etc etc.

Would be interesting if people could come up with a mock-up GUI rather than throw ideas around like a rag doll. Even thinking about how it would work hurts my head. :D

+1 to removing body from the inventory window. It should be graphical UI on the character window, if necessary using 2D boxes for equipment slots, though selectable 3D is preferred. If you have a backpack that should just open another inventory window so we can drag/drop from that over to our personal inventory much easier.

There needs to be a way to display wounds though and a traditional drag-drop character sheet would be hard to display this neatly since there is currently no limit (health aside) to how many wounds can be inflicted in one place.

+1 A paperdoll like in Ultima would be great, and maybe its not necesary to make a huge change, the inventory/body could be kept like it is now, but the "character view" window could be added the function of being able to equip stuff to it directly, or apply bandages to it directly. A small backpack and/or inventory icon on the lower corners of the Character view window to drop stuff there directly when you click and drag things that your character is wearing.

Think of it for a while, hands could be like a previous step. you click "take" on whatever is on the floor/butchered corpse/ etc. an icon (maybe like a pile of items) is displayed in the character view window, could be in the hands or upper corners, then you just drag that stuff to either the backpack icon, the inventory icon, or whatever container you might be wearing, like a quiver. You could do all this without actually opening the tree-shaped inventory.

Of course that if you want to tidy up your inventory you would need to open it anyway, but the paperdoll/character view could be used as a fast and visually appealing basic interface for the inventory.

Paper doll are in the works, (ready some day â„¢)

• Like 1

There needs to be a way to display wounds though and a traditional drag-drop character sheet would be hard to display this neatly since there is currently no limit (health aside) to how many wounds can be inflicted in one place.

You do not need to display stacked wounds on the paper doll, you just need to select them for treatment. All that needs to happen is the multiple wounds on the foot add up and make the foot redder, in the same way as the foot tree part gets redder now. If there are multiple foot wounds have a side/popup box showing the selected parts wounds or just treat it like a stack and sequentially treat them without manual selection. My point is with the paper doll you do not need that for the leg, because you can see a wound is on the foot without expanding the tree.

I would not say do it exactly like Ultima, the container inventory there is designed to annoy thieves because the icons are a jumbled mess on top of each other that makes it hard to find things. For PVP you can use some other mechanic to annoy pickpockets (like the usual timer) You still want to preserve order with tiled icons and option of showing the old list/sort tree. Basically just like Windows windows with all the various display/sort options.

Edited by yarnevk

Of course that if you want to tidy up your inventory you would need to open it anyway, but the paperdoll/character view could be used as a fast and visually appealing basic interface for the inventory.

That is a good way to handle containerized inventory as a first step, use the paperdoll to open/select the existing inventory list tree at the right spot, then eventually take the next stop of containers windows of container windows.