Sign in to follow this  
TheMadDoctor

Multistory Floors

I think paving is applied to wood, clay and stone based floors for the same reason listed before, to simplify the skill needs for these floor types. It was the use of a broad brush to make it so you have the ability to use any floor type with only needing 1 "under used" skill in place of 3.

And basing your arguement, or attempting to reinforce it, on the basis of an earned title, which could have been almost anything (look at Beverages "Party Animal" for an example) isn't the best choice I think.

I spent a year as an apprentice brick layer/mason, and 4 as an electrician, hence my previous comments. After seeing the things people will make a finished floor out of, paving is not a bad choice in-game lol.

I think the problem here is the preception built up by the way the skill is defined (and reinforced by the earned title name selection) that places a specific functional use of the skill in a player's mind. In house construction, the mason AND carpenter would work together to build that sub-flooring for any type of non-wood finished floor. No matter if it was to be concrete/cement, tile or stone (worked or not).

In a wood floor, it would just be a carpenter. In-game, this provides an "unfair" advantage to those with high carpentry skills since they would only need to continue to earn carp skill to produce all of their floors, whlie those wanting to use stone or clay need to add more than just pottery or masonry for theirs.

::edit insert:: Add to this Rolf stating that he wanted these floor types to be rarer, so again, they assigned it to the skill that made the most sense to achieve these goals.

Have you considered that your country/zone/town construction rules and regulations aren´t the same all around the globe?

Where i live there is maybe 2 kind of floors that are not executed by a mason carpets, and in some cases some of the wood ones, all the rest are included in the mason dutyes wen you hire him, monolitic, tiles, clay bricks (mostly for exterior zones in farm type houses), etc.

And also about the carpentry stuff there is 2 types of carpenters, the equivalent of the ig fine carpenters, that usually only do only furniture, ornate rails, and some minor bits, and the other kind is the one executing the structural carpentry.

Anyway is not so rare having the mason doing the wooden floors too.

I´m only say this because i really think we need to start to step away of the exesive realism, you know, if we start to dig soo dep into it, we will sooner or later discover than is not very realistic for one single person to be able to execute all profesions and at the same time exel in several ones, i bet the Deforester-Beastmaster-Master Shipwright-Saucier-Landshaper-Mastermine-Chef-Master Plathesmith winny the poo wasn´t a comon title in any period of time.

Hey I'm the one with the soft spot for paving skill.

How about we change dirt packing so it uses the paving skill instead of the digging skill, allowing people

to more easily level up paving to the low 20ies?

/Andreas

If at some time in future i discover your ign and where you live i will go and pave all around your deed in a 50 tiles radious, and let see if you still have that soft spot after.

forgot the :P

Edited by KunAlt

Anon, you are not helping, posting here is to debate ideas about the main subject, not your opinion on something you don't even develop more than just "who cares". Please, next time develop your opinion on the subject or don't post at all.

Anon, you are not helping, posting here is to debate ideas about the main subject, not your opinion on something you don't even develop more than just "who cares". Please, next time develop your opinion on the subject or don't post at all.

my post had more essence of my opinion than anyones.

Paving stays for brick/slab type floors - can tweak it though. Maybe height restriction should only apply to planning the structures? The whatever suitable skill for selecting the floor itself (based on material).

Packing dirt would become the Paving entry skillup.

/Andreas

In my opinion, height restriction should be based on carpentry/masonry skills, since the integrity of the building pass by the walls. (without strong walls your floor is nothing).

The paving shouldn't be the criteria for the height restriction since paving a floor is still paving a floor whatever the height it is.

While I could understand the paving for the kind of material needed, as Hussars mentioned, using paving skill to choose the kind of floor you want (even if I keep thinking paving should stick to roads hehe).

Paving stays for brick/slab type floors - can tweak it though. Maybe height restriction should only apply to planning the structures? The whatever suitable skill for selecting the floor itself (based on material).Packing dirt would become the Paving entry skillup./Andreas

Why move packing to pave wen the first entry skillup is there really? you can easily gain the first points of paving just laying a few bricks. srry, i can´t see the benefit of this.

Did you realize that the only floors you can do with low paving skill give carpentry skill?

To me has more sense to make wooden floor give paving skill instead.

Its like move tending and harvesting cotton to tailoring.

Edited by KunAlt

Well, the way I do see it, packing dirt does make you walk faster on those tile, like a crude road more than digging itself since you don't really dig, you just tap dirt until its hard. Changing it to paving would be more fulfilling the purpose of the action.

For a newbie it would be more easy to just grind that skill with a shovel and packing the dirt instead of mining to make gravel tile or trying to make a brick for cobblestone.

Edited by TheMadDoctor

I've been grinding my paving skill for the last two days because I needed 21 to continue my 3rd floor made of stone bricks. Every point in paving I went back to try to do my floor, eventually at 30 was able to continue my 4th floor.

All good, making several walls then making a ladder and trying to make the 5th floor but all of the sudden it was whining that I don't have enough paving skill.

That is ridiculous too, I plan to have 8 floors.... I will need 70-80 paving, that's non sense... all my masonry worth nothing in there.

Solution: Requiring a basic paving skill per type of floor, then using the proper skill (masonry/carpentry) to build the entire thing, there it could be based on a ratio of 10 skill point per floor.

Edited by TheMadDoctor

Two days? Good God. Starting from 6 paving, using sleep bonus, I was able to reach 21 by paving a 12x12 courtyard area with cobblestone one and a half times. It took me maybe two hours. :)

I used about two hours, maybe a little more, of my sleep bonus. Which then got refilled shortly after xD

I'm confused....I want to make marble floors (as I heard they need 40 paving skill) and now I have trouble with skilling paving :o

I tried packing alot of dirt tiles yesterday and it gave a more regular and bigger skillgain then paving a road with cobblestone? and why does the lowest possible house floor needs carpentry when all other housefloors need paving? that seriously makes no sense to me......normaly everything in wurm is progressivly: if you wanna get better skillgains you RAISE the difficulty and the amount you need to do and/or your start imping stuff thats related to that skill.

Why the sudden change with floors? and why is wooden floor carpentry but the other floors not masonry? I heard btw. someone making a good suggestion to that problem...maybe inventing fine masonry? and put floor boards into the fine carpentry category? and really really adjust the skillgain from cobblestone and slabs related to packed dirt?

btw about that road and floors argumentation: roads need different things than floors in a house. Roads are made with material that should be longliving, weather resistant and is layed down on pure earth mostly. Floors for houses need a wooden construction under it and dont need to be weather resistant at all.

and why the paving ? everything related to houses was always about carpentry and masonry? why the need for a new skill there?

I'm confused....I want to make marble floors (as I heard they need 40 paving skill) and now I have trouble with skilling paving :o

I tried packing alot of dirt tiles yesterday and it gave a more regular and bigger skillgain then paving a road with cobblestone? and why does the lowest possible house floor needs carpentry when all other housefloors need paving? that seriously makes no sense to me......normaly everything in wurm is progressivly: if you wanna get better skillgains you RAISE the difficulty and the amount you need to do and/or your start imping stuff thats related to that skill.

Why the sudden change with floors? and why is wooden floor carpentry but the other floors not masonry? I heard btw. someone making a good suggestion to that problem...maybe inventing fine masonry? and put floor boards into the fine carpentry category? and really really adjust the skillgain from cobblestone and slabs related to packed dirt?

btw about that road and floors argumentation: roads need different things than floors in a house. Roads are made with material that should be longliving, weather resistant and is layed down on pure earth mostly. Floors for houses need a wooden construction under it and dont need to be weather resistant at all.

and why the paving ? everything related to houses was always about carpentry and masonry? why the need for a new skill there?

I share your concerns, but don´t waste your time, you are hiting a dead horse.

I find it amusing to see so much discussion over which skill is affecting which activity in game. Just look around, this is no less wogical than most things in game. You use carpentry to plan stone houses, you need to chop thousands of trees to somehow get better ql wood, you need weaponsmithing to make some tools but not the others.