Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Farming Improvement - Acidic And Alkaline Soil

I have an idea related to farming - make trees, bushes and plants growing on tiles make ground more acidic or alkaline. This should have big impact on anything related to farming and forestry - any plants on inadequate soil should grow slower, plants give lower yield or lower quality. You should be able to change PH of ground by planting suitable plants or using fertilizers. You should be able to detect if ground is acidic or alkaline at rather low farming, but higher levels of farming will give better, more accuracy results. What do you think about it?

Sometimes more realism like this makes for less convenient game play. After all, it's a game, not a simulator.

• Like 1

We don't even have fertilizer. Or toilet paper. My favorite line from 'Madegascar' when King Julius says, "Who wipes?"

Remind me not to shake hands with you in game..wait we canna do that either.

-1, Its better to reward people for being responsible then nerf them with realistic hardships such as this suggestion.

I'd +1 if: harvest yield stays as it is now. You can continue to do what you do now and nothing will change. If you choose to put the extra effort into balancing the pH of your fields you will be rewarded with yield increases. How much should the yield increase be? At 97.5 farming I got about a 5s harvest and 5s sow timers with a yield of 7 crops. That's a 7 crops per 10 sec or 0.7 crops per a second at 97.5 skill.

The general idea is to reward those who put more work into thier farm tiles, but the reward must be in excess of the time it takes to plant another tile.

The fertilizer will likely have three steps: component resources collection, creation, and application. If the yield bonus is not in excess of 0.7 per sec no one will use it. It actually needs to be at least 1.4 per sec because, similar to raking, otherwise players will just plant more tiles. Why spend the time making a system that no one will use? Keep in mind the numbers will be different for other skill levels.

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't think I'd like to have additional factors to take in when farming. I'm not on all the time so I wouldn't be able to control the pH of my crops very effectively so sorry but -1