Sign in to follow this  
Mishia

Horse's Randomly Dropping Dead

Over the last week or so a number of my villagers are complaining about dead horses, I had assumed it was due to disease as one villager had a few with disease, possibility for spreading etc. Some of these horses were /carefor too.

Until this morning I entered a villagers house to put some things away, noticed an aged brown horse by the forge hitched up and well fed... I walked away to do something outside the town when I heard a neigh, didn't think much of it, less than 10mins later that villager logged in to find his horse was dead. This is on the Deli server btw.

I can't find much on the forums about it, so I thought I'd throw a post up after someone commented that they've seen other people complaining about the same thing.

I wonder if the horse NERF Rolf did recently which makes them die of disease easier has something to do with this????

Anyway you cut it, it appears to support the theory that underlying mechanics are not working as intended. Supports also, from my perspective, that if one wants to get a handle on the server environment one must take care of the underlying mechanics before adding more variables. Such as disease, and enchanted grass tweaks. Fixing before tweaking, would appear to be a prudent course of action for the long term health of the game. From a person who has never written a line of code in his life anyway.

Also I guess another intangible to be fair would be one of the illness traits? Could on of those, if this horse had one of those traits, casue an early death?

Edited by Crovak

Lol sounds like a equine murder mystery. Are you sure noone snuck in after you and off'ed it while you were away?

The disease change isn't in-game yet (as far as I'm aware, Rolf said it was upcoming and there's been no down time / patches in 6 days). So I wouldn't go blaming it on that quite yet.

2 of the horses that died only 1 was dieased.

However, 2 more horses have randomly died that were quite a distance away from the diseased horses in a guys house, both were healthy and fat.

To top that off, someone I know recently took over a deed that had extreme amounts of diseased horses, none of which died for a week until I personally offered to help out and cut down over 30 of them with my sword.

We've just had some horses die on the otherside of our deed (20 tiles or more), again, fat, healthy, groomed everyday and not diseased.

Btw, this change? Because it still doesn't account for whats going on, most of these horses are in wide open spaces. We don't own enchanted grass anyways.

Bugs with animal disease allowing for congestion were fixed: Creatures on enchanted tiles won't be safe from disease and keeping creatures well fed won't automatically prevent them from being affected any longer. Grazers will now strive for enchanted grass, but there is also a small chance now that it may disappear when grazed upon (a lot smaller than packing).

Also I guess another intangible to be fair would be one of the illness traits? Could on of those, if this horse had one of those traits, casue an early death?

The deaths on our deed are all 4~5 good traited horses, I bought and checked them myself before they came into the village. We don't let ill/hungry/deformed traited animals live longer than a day. :D

Lol sounds like a equine murder mystery. Are you sure noone snuck in after you and off'ed it while you were away?

We wish - it would make things alot simpler... but no, villagers houses are private and only I can enter my friends house.

Edited by Mishia

Just logged in to find my best horse laying dead in the locked field. Ven. but cared-for, fat, no disease, groomed just before I logged off, ample food while I was offline.

Just logged in to find my best horse laying dead in the locked field. Ven. but cared-for, fat, no disease, groomed just before I logged off, ample food while I was offline.

Keep in mind that the /care command does not grant eternal life to animals, so since it was venerable, it could have just finally passed away. The /care command only *extends* their life span.

No, it was barely ven. Born 16 november 2011, so just 6 months old. Also had the unusual strong and healthy trait (and no bad traits to counter that, no bad traits at all, also not any fo'd away). I do think something is not as it should be. Also wasn't wounded in any way.

Edited by Kianga

Keep in mind that the /care command does not grant eternal life to animals, so since it was venerable, it could have just finally passed away. The /care command only *extends* their life span.

You sure about that?

http://wurmpedia.com...ing.2C_coloring

"In order to bring the animal situation in control you may now start to "care" for animals. This prevents them from dying to old age."

cared for isnt immortality... remember this game is pretty realistic and immortal pets would make no sense