Sign in to follow this  
CoinLab

Coinlab Faq: How To Earn Silver Coins With Your Graphics Card

Have not received any coins all weekend is this thing still working?? Also the website does not update?? Stats and Leader board have been the same for days now...

Have not received any coins all weekend is this thing still working?? Also the website does not update?? Stats and Leader board have been the same for days now...

Once in a while something in the automation fails and the Coinlab owner needs to come on to do manual payouts.  Seems like it has been broken all weekend, but I recall that he said it's only the payout / graphs that are broken, the amount you earned is safely recorded in a database somewhere.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/61990-coinlab-faq-how-to-earn-silver-coins-with-your-graphics-card/page-27#entry811278

Here was the last time with a similar issue

Edited by Odi

Would it be worth me signing up for the Coinlab with my 4gb nvidia GeForce 770 gtx or would it cost me more in electricity then I'd would make in game, as I've read up that the coinlab doesn't respond well nvidia cards?

Would it be worth me signing up for the Coinlab with my 4gb nvidia GeForce 770 gtx or would it cost me more in electricity then I'd would make in game, as I've read up that the coinlab doesn't respond well nvidia cards?

It would cost more in electricity and cooling costs than worth it, until Coinlab has changed their client to do something other than bitcoin

So.. what should I expect to get out of my 7970 OC card?

I've read ppl getting few hundred per hour, but that must have changed by now, right?

And another thing, yesterday I was able to use 100% of my GPU, but now it just hoovers around 90%

what gives?

I'm running on 

win7 64

i5 3570k

16gb RAM

Ok I did some calculations

I gain about 100iron per hour, when i'm not using the PC.

My card is rated about 500w/h, I belive.

so it takes me 100 hours to make 1 silver, which is 4.1 day's

500w/h cost me about 0.02Euro, to make 1 silver takes me 100 hours which would cost about 1,85Euro

by purchasing 10silver at 16Euro I get the silver for 1,6Euro

Either my 7970oc card is porly configured or something, or it's not worth for me to mine at this rate.

On another note, I was trying to use cgminer, but I always get this error

[2013-09-13 15:59:37] Started cgminer 3.4.2
[2013-09-13 15:59:40] Probing for an alive pool
[2013-09-13 15:59:45] Pool 0 slow/down or URL or credentials invalid

I'm using this script in a *.bat file to start the miner

cgminer.exe -o stratum+http://pool.coinlab.com:8332 -u wurm_cybersnake -p x -I 8

is something wrong in the script or am I doing something wrong?

Ok I did some calculations

I gain about 100iron per hour, when i'm not using the PC.

My card is rated about 500w/h, I belive.

so it takes me 100 hours to make 1 silver, which is 4.1 day's

500w/h cost me about 0.02Euro, to make 1 silver takes me 100 hours which would cost about 1,85Euro

by purchasing 10silver at 16Euro I get the silver for 1,6Euro

Either my 7970oc card is porly configured or something, or it's not worth for me to mine at this rate.

On another note, I was trying to use cgminer, but I always get this error

[2013-09-13 15:59:40] Probing for an alive pool

[2013-09-13 15:59:45] Pool 0 slow/down or URL or credentials invalid

I'm using this script in a *.bat file to start the miner

cgminer.exe -o stratum+http://pool.coinlab.com:8332 -u wurm_cybersnake -p x -I 8

is something wrong in the script or am I doing something wrong?

remove the "stratum+" since coinlab does not support stratum.  You are looking for the normal -o http://pool:port for the original getwork protocol.

Stratum is a protocol to reduce bandwidth usage of the high hash rate of the new custom ASIC hardware that can get many GH/s.  Your top end card does only about 0.7GH/s, and most GPUs only 1/2 or less that speed.  Since the coinlab pool was designed with GPUs in mind, they have not kept up with the newest innovations in bitcoin mining.  Instead they have focused on creating a client that can do any kind of work, as opposed to just bitcoin.

Don't forget about the added cooling cost of keeping your room temperature down, and the reduced life of the GPU being run at high temps continuously.

90% is probably because you are using the computer somehow.  The coinlab client is much more conservative to reduce the impact on desktop interactivity.  cgminer has options to set how intense the processing should be:

--intensity|-I <arg> Intensity of GPU scanning (d or -10 -> 10, default: d to maintain desktop interactivity)

Thank you for the reply Odi.

I've managed thanks to you to start cgminer, it's running at stable 71°c now, might be able to lower that

with some more fans, although the winter is just around the corner here so heating should not be much trouble :P

But i'm only able to squeeze about 600MH/s out of it, is that it or do I have to do something else to get more?

I did change the Intensity to 10 but it's still hovering around 600MH/s

A few day's ago I was getting about 120i/hr yesterday I was getting about 100i/hr

and now it's dropped down to 75i/hr?

I took a look at the bitcoin market and it seems to me that the bitcoin is getting stronger

but yet i'm getting less and less bitcoins, am I looking at the wrong market or?

Any one care to explain this to me?

A few day's ago I was getting about 120i/hr yesterday I was getting about 100i/hr

I took a look at the bitcoin market and it seems to me that the bitcoin is getting stronger

but yet i'm getting less and less bitcoins, am I looking at the wrong market or?

Any one care to explain this to me?

I don't pretend to understand all of it so if i get it wrong someone please correct me but what I think we are seeing is:

The bitcoin network computation power (everyone running bitcoin miners) has increased from around 200 Thash/s to just under 1000 Thash/s (5 x increase) since July

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin-ever.png

thereby increasing the "difficulty" level

From the Bitcoin Wiki 

"The difficulty is adjusted every 2016 blocks based on the time it took to find the previous 2016 blocks. At the desired rate of one block each 10 minutes, 2016 blocks would take exactly two weeks to find. If the previous 2016 blocks took more than two weeks to find, the difficulty is reduced. If they took less than two weeks, the difficulty is increased. The change in difficulty is in proportion to the amount of time over or under two weeks the previous 2016 blocks took to find."

"To find a block, the hash must be less than the target. The hash is effectively a random number between 0 and 2**256-1"

"The difficulty is set such that the previous 2016 blocks would have been found at the rate of one every 10 minutes, so we were calculating (D * 2**48 / 0xffff) hashes in 600 seconds."

"At the time of writing, the difficulty is 22012.4941572, which means that over the previous set of 2016 blocks found the average network hash rate was around 157 Ghashes per second"

Essentially as the computational power of the bitcoin network increases they make it harder for each block to be solved to maintain a constant delivery rate of blocks, therefore making it take longer to correctly solve each block and lowering the amount of reward based on blocks completed.

At least that's what I'm understanding the overall decrease to be from.  I too experienced short term decreases in the past which may have been contributed to incorrect hashes and other issues.

Essentially as the computational power of the bitcoin network increases they make it harder for each block to be solved to maintain a constant delivery rate of blocks, therefore making it take longer to correctly solve each block and lowering the amount of reward based on blocks completed.

At least that's what I'm understanding the overall decrease to be from.  I too experienced short term decreases in the past which may have been contributed to incorrect hashes and other issues.

The iron per hour is calculated by

iron per share * shares found in an hour

iron per share is posted at http://pool.coinlab.com/partners/wurm/stats and I'll go into that later.

shares found in an hour is how many shares you find with your hashing.  Similar to how tossing a coin is 50% probability of finding tails, 200MH/s on average finds 2.8 shares per minute, or 168 shares per hour.  So it is better to sample more than an hour, otherwise variance kicks in.  10 flips of a coin may likely end up at 7 or 8 heads, but 100 flips of a coin will rarely be more than 60 heads.  If you calculate the per hour rate and extrapolate, it's like saying that because 10 flips ended up at 8 heads, 100 flips would be 80 heads, or 1000 flips would be 800 heads because of a very small sample.  I usually look at daily returns instead of hourly, and you usually have a week to compare with the same iron per share.

For iron per share, this is calculated by coinlab.  Most mining pools use just bitcoins per share, as opposed to converting to euro then to iron

1 / current difficulty = probability of a share (difficulty 1) being a solution to the current difficulty as well.  This is because a 100,000,000 difficulty solution is also a 1 difficulty solution by design of bitcoin

The current reward is 25 bitcoins per block (a solution) which is how you calculate the bitcoin per share (1 / 112,628,549 * 25 = 0.00000022196).  It goes down to 12.5 sometime in 2016.

Coinlab then calculates the cost of converting the bitcoin into euro and giving it to Rolf in exchange for silver.

Thank you for the reply Odi.

I've managed thanks to you to start cgminer, it's running at stable 71°c now, might be able to lower that

with some more fans, although the winter is just around the corner here so heating should not be much trouble :P

But i'm only able to squeeze about 600MH/s out of it, is that it or do I have to do something else to get more?

I did change the Intensity to 10 but it's still hovering around 600MH/s

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

With cgminer, you can specify options to change various things (in the README).  You can find what others have tried on that website.  With the Coinlab client, you need to use something like MSI Afterburner instead.

GPU only options:--auto-fan          Automatically adjust all GPU fan speeds to maintain a target temperature--auto-gpu          Automatically adjust all GPU engine clock speeds to maintain a target temperature--disable-gpu|-G    Disable GPU mining even if suitable devices exist--gpu-threads|-g <arg> Number of threads per GPU (1 - 10) (default: 2)--gpu-dyninterval <arg> Set the refresh interval in ms for GPUs using dynamic intensity (default: 7)--gpu-engine <arg>  GPU engine (over)clock range in Mhz - one value, range and/or comma separated list (e.g. 850-900,900,750-850)--gpu-fan <arg>     GPU fan percentage range - one value, range and/or comma separated list (e.g. 25-85,85,65)--gpu-map <arg>     Map OpenCL to ADL device order manually, paired CSV (e.g. 1:0,2:1 maps OpenCL 1 to ADL 0, 2 to 1)--gpu-memclock <arg> Set the GPU memory (over)clock in Mhz - one value for all or separate by commas for per card.--gpu-memdiff <arg> Set a fixed difference in clock speed between the GPU and memory in auto-gpu mode--gpu-powertune <arg> Set the GPU powertune percentage - one value for all or separate by commas for per card.--gpu-reorder       Attempt to reorder GPU devices according to PCI Bus ID--gpu-vddc <arg>    Set the GPU voltage in Volts - one value for all or separate by commas for per card.--intensity|-I <arg> Intensity of GPU scanning (d or -10 -> 10, default: d to maintain desktop interactivity)--kernel|-k <arg>   Override kernel to use (diablo, poclbm, phatk or diakgcn) - one value or comma separated--ndevs|-n          Enumerate number of detected GPUs and exit--no-restart        Do not attempt to restart GPUs that hang--temp-hysteresis <arg> Set how much the temperature can fluctuate outside limits when automanaging speeds (default: 3)--temp-overheat <arg> Overheat temperature when automatically managing fan and GPU speeds (default: 85)--temp-target <arg> Target temperature when automatically managing fan and GPU speeds (default: 75)--vectors|-v <arg>  Override detected optimal vector (1, 2 or 4) - one value or comma separated list--worksize|-w <arg> Override detected optimal worksize - one value or comma separated list

For example, on my 5770s, I would underclock memory to 300MHz based on what others tried.  That let me undervolt it as well to reduce heat.  And I was able to overclock one to 900 and a second one to 950 and still have a stable machine.  The memory underclock was due to a Catalyst driver bug that would reduce the hash rate if the memory clock was at stock.

If you want to be even more advanced, you can install various versions of Catalyst, and search through threads like

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=180067.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84989.0

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, September 24, 2013 - spambot
Hidden by KaiH, September 24, 2013 - spambot

Mainly because in the detailed procedure in making it, the full lace front wigs provides the illusion how the hair is originating from your head.

How much iron should I earn with bellow specification of my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570

GPU: GTX 660Ti

RAM 8GB

Windows 7 64 bit on SSD

Please PM me if possible :)

Thanks in advance

Gamurin

I have mined various coins over the years (ltc, btc, ftc ,wdc etc), if you are using an NVIDIA card it probably wouldn't be worth it at all unless you have a GTX Titan, AMD cards are better for mining bitcoins because of the way they work and their architecture. If you use an NVIDIA card you will probably just be wasting electricity. The best card for these tasks in terms of cost, power usage and hashing rate is the AMD HD 7950. Although if you want some iron anyways go ahead and start running the program!

Edited by kaepora

I have just recently downloaded and installed the software. I can start it but it does not connect. at the bottom is says connecting to compute pool.  If more information is needed please include how to obtain said information. any help would be aprecated.

I don't know about anyone else lately, but I have been running my system for the last couple weeks, and in all this time I have made less then 15c yet, by my calc, I should have had a few silver by now, and when I sent in  an e-mail to the coinlab folks, I have yet to receive any kind of response.

Worse part is that the graphic they have, shows that my user didn't do more then 20 hours of work the one week, and yet my system was running the client non-stop and I didn't get paid for any of it...

if anyone else has noticed this kind of thing happening, please e-mail them so that we can at least get some kind of response.

Also here is my system specs as well,

AMD FX-8320 8x core processor w/ 16g ram

and 2 AMD Radeon HD 7800 series v-cards with 4g ram total.

If anyone has any ideas on how to stream line my drivers or anything to boost my iron output please shoot me a msg.

Edited by Tilaras

Tis not possible to make any returns on this guys, unless you pay next to nothing for power.
Dito with bitcoin minning there is not many places in the world where you can run it at a profit.

The only exception would be if coinlabs have done a deal with CodeClub to buy coins for less than 1E/month, which may be possible but I did not read that in their FAQ so sus.

Edited by AlexLong

Everyone should be warned that this is not profitable. I've tested it on two computers with nvidia and ATI card and nowhere it was profitable. It is only wasting energy...

• Like 1

Depending on your gear and geographical location it can be profitable. For 99% of people it won't be though, but I am sure some of the younger audience don't have a problem leeching on their parents powerbill.

Edited by Lau
  • Like 1

Everyone should be warned that this is not profitable. I've tested it on two computers with nvidia and ATI card and nowhere it was profitable. It is only wasting energy...

Very strange... why is it allowed in the Wurm forum, let alone pinned?

Very strange... why is it allowed in the Wurm forum, let alone pinned?

When this was first released over a year ago, it was quite profitable for AMD cards.  nVidia was never really a contender.

I found out about Wurm from bitcoin in April, and it was profitable back then.  However, the release of hardware designed specifically for bitcoin mining over the past half year has made it 50x more difficult to mine since April, while the price has only increased 2x.

I do not think GPU mining will ever be profitable again, so coinlab needs to find new work to do aside from bitcoin mining.