Gofs

Why did you quit playing WU?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I totally get this, but the flipside is that when people stay away due to "lack of players" then they are helping to create the lack of players.  In the wise words of another "What you are doing is the opposite of helping."  That is not meant as any kind of rebuke, just observing that the phenomenon is self-perpetuating.   You could get 10 people log into the starter spawn location at the same time and they would consider the server nicely busy.  Or they could log in at different times over a few days, never interacting but each poking about for a few minutes and leaving the "dead server".    It is a vexing issue - the WU server I call home has an amazing map, a hugely wide variety of environments and locations, a bunch of unique content and game play, established starter town infrastructure and a small community that cares, but a lot of it feels wasted because players won't stick around long enough to interact with each other and grow the population.

On this WU server players tend to be active in chat but generally each working on their own stuff, with some exceptions.  The thing is, this is exactly the same as my experience on WO, only on WO it is even quieter.  

This is probably unfixable under the current paradigm, as the WU and WO have well and truly forked.  If somebody were to develop a FOSS game of similar style and function but updated , I expect that there could well be a WU exodus.

Honestly, i would consider playing for a while if WU was at least brought up to date with current WO, regardless of how many people are playing. Perhaps i should have put "lack of updates and abandonment of the game" as the most important reason for me not playing.

If i was to log onto WU right now, all i could think of would be is that i'm playing a version of the game that's 5? 6? years out of date with bugs, worse performance, lack of QoL features and that i could be playing the full version instead. 

Edited by atazs

6 minutes ago, atazs said:

If i was to log onto WU right now, all i could think of would be is that i'm playing a version of the game that's 5? 6? years out of date with bugs, worse performance, lack of QoL features and that i could be playing the full version instead

It's a mixed bag and it depends on the WU server.  QoL updates and bug-fixes are actually doing better on some WU servers than on WO.  Funny, WO to me has always felt like a pre-release version and not the full version.  

The UI update in WO is probably the single biggest notable difference - and thanks to the way WU has been released that is not something that can really be updated in WU without some pretty fundamental changes.  I do get why that would keep people away, as the UI immediately sets the two games apart.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

It's a mixed bag and it depends on the WU server.  QoL updates and bug-fixes are actually doing better on some WU servers than on WO.  Funny, WO to me has always felt like a pre-release version and not the full version.  

The UI update in WO is probably the single biggest notable difference - and thanks to the way WU has been released that is not something that can really be updated in WU without some pretty fundamental changes.  I do get why that would keep people away, as the UI immediately sets the two games apart.  

Another reason for me not playing is all the cheats (X-ray, ESP, etc...) that are impossible to block. Yes they might go against the server rules but they are impossible to enforce and detect. They flat out ruin PvP and while you could say "Well don't use them" that's not the point.

And finally, probably nitpicking here, but a lot of the maps for many servers are just flat out bad. As in, they are badly generated with big ugly patches of trees placed around the map, with nothing inbetween them but empty terrain. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:45 AM, keoki said:

For me, it was the lack of official content updates. Once they stopped updating WU, it was over for me. I kept seeing updates to WO and so WU just wasn't fun anymore. So, I switched back to WO.

It is usually because of the updates that make me look at WU again.  I do like some parts of WO's changes, but it is always a mixed bag.  WU is a snapshot of a moment before most of the nerf updates started.  The games took their own path.  The mods that WU has gives changes that are gamer driven.  One notable thing that WU has (or the server I'm on) is that I never get kicked off my cart anymore, my guess is that is an unfortunate consequence of a past update  in WO.  It is absolute bliss to not worry about that no matter how challenging the terrain is.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:44 PM, Ayluin said:

snip

I can almost hardly believe that your server has 250 daily players honestly, I can hardly believe that any server does. Skipping the obviously fake populations like Mythmoor and that one server with Brewery int he name; Sklotopolis seems to be the most active and boy it is a GHOST TOWN.

Really sad to see, actually. Same with WO even, I remember seeing 2000+ concurrent at all times.

9 minutes ago, Camelrider said:

I can almost hardly believe that your server has 250 daily players honestly, I can hardly believe that any server does. Skipping the obviously fake populations like Mythmoor and that one server with Brewery int he name; Sklotopolis seems to be the most active and boy it is a GHOST TOWN.

Really sad to see, actually. Same with WO even, I remember seeing 2000+ concurrent at all times.

Sorry if you were confused. I did not claim my server had 250 players. I said that https://steamcharts.com/app/366220#All showed ~250 players daily. That is for all of WU, not my server. I do not lie or fake numbers on my server. I have no interest in faking the numbers. My current server is averaging [16:20:05] 44 other players are online. You are on Genesis (46 totally in Wurm). But that is because we just did a fresh launch. I imagine the numbers will wane over time. Hope that fixes the confusion!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 12:20 PM, Ayluin said:

Sorry if you were confused. I did not claim my server had 250 players. I said that https://steamcharts.com/app/366220#All showed ~250 players daily. That is for all of WU, not my server. I do not lie or fake numbers on my server. I have no interest in faking the numbers. My current server is averaging [16:20:05] 44 other players are online. You are on Genesis (46 totally in Wurm). But that is because we just did a fresh launch. I imagine the numbers will wane over time. Hope that fixes the confusion!

My bad, either way my main point about it being very depressing playing either game knowing the history of it is really what I was trying to convey; but thank you for taking the time to clarify. I misunderstood.

As for me, it seems that the main problem of Wurm. That Wurm does not have any scenario. You building your own story over this game, and it's amazing, but it is also an issue, as it is funny only when the world around you also changes all the time. If the world is frozen, you get bored, as you already seem to have seen everything in this game. And I'm talking now not about features, or some tiny rare things, that some players have never seen. I mean the whole content. The first time Rift came - that was amazing. But for the game to be fun, need more items, more monsters, more actions, skills, and as for me - more challenge. Unfortunately, it seems that Wurm decided not to move in this direction. 

So this main problem leads to the following problems:
1) Boring skill gain (so players started to use bots/clickers and other stuff). So we have slow skill gain, and the way to get to the top is to craft thousands of the same items (WU) or improve tones of items (WO). 
2) Bunch of needles, tools, nails, wood scraps, but very few armors and weapons. So in PvP or in PvE we mostly use meta, and can't improvise too much if still wanna be successful. 
3.a) Priest system. As for me, that's a total disaster. Why penalty for being Priest, remove your possibility to improve? How about PvP advantage? And I can't stop thinking that its wrong that you can cast while you wearing a plate, holding a shield and sword, and keep blocking hits, and at is same time you have an active statuette and casting spells right into to crying face of your enemy, who presses shield bash that cast timer longer than my spell. 
As for me, it needed at least a triangle balance system. Mage > kills > Warrior > kills > Archer > kills > Mage. 
3.b) Spell / ability system is very pity. Very sad action to use some kind of special hit (as melee fighter) and wait 7 seconds to make a hit. Not enough Action... Toooo slow 😕 
4) Raids! As for me, it can be PvE raids, where you as mayor of the village get writ about raiding your deed (you can accept or decline) but if you successfully defend your deed your deed members get unique rewards. 
As for PvP, I'd probably prefer to see the world without PMD (Player Made Deed). I'd probably set some Neutral Deeds at the map, as GM, and let players fight to conquer them. (Guards of deed can also lose their power at the end of the week) so at Weekends, such deeds would be pretty conquerable. 
5) Luck of uncommon mobs. Really got tired of wolves, trolls, and spiders. Thanks to the Wyvern mod that keeps Grow, there are still the same faces, but with different names. Worgs, Avengers, Wyverns... (in WO I know it's a bit better) But the problem is similar. The library is extremely small. And to be honest. The quality of Rift mobs (almost the last creatures that have been added to WU) is too bad for even 2016 year.  

ESP - as for me is poison, but I think in the WU dev channel I saw an Idea of how to fix that, will see if maybe there will be the mod to fight it