Sign in to follow this  
antonslavick

Change To Stamina

I'm not certain if this has been proposed previously, but I'm curious as to why we experience a reduction in stamina when riding a horse or a cart/wagon, yet we do not lose stamina when riding a boat.

One of the key aspects of efficient transportation is avoiding the reduction in stamina that commonly occurs when utilizing horses, carts, or wagons. By eliminating this issue, individuals can ensure a smoother and more reliable means of moving goods and traveling from place to place.

QUOTE BY RETRO

m9PSU7y.png

Please feel free to leave your feedback on whether or not this is something that should be changed.

Edited by antonslavick
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

I'm not certain if this has been proposed previously, but I'm curious as to why we experience a reduction in stamina when riding a horse or a cart/wagon, yet we do not lose stamina when riding a boat.

One of the key aspects of efficient transportation is avoiding the reduction in stamina that commonly occurs when utilizing horses, carts, or wagons. By eliminating this issue, individuals can ensure a smoother and more reliable means of moving goods and traveling from place to place.

Please feel free to leave your feedback on whether or not this is something that should be changed.

While I do find it also weird that Stamina drains during riding or driving a vehicle (and it can likely be attributed to "wogic"), I can also kind of understand it.
In the sense that riding a horse requires active balance and appropriate body control to avoid falling off and steering.
The same general idea goes for driving a vehicle I suppose. You're still steering, actively maintaining a certain 'speed' if you will, encouraging and/or controlling the idea of your animals moving forward, slowing down, stopping, turning, etc;
In this regard we're not exactly "bumps on a log".

Though the same could be said for controlling a boat, which doesn't make sense why the 2 are treated differently. There's a lot more that goes into boat command/control (especially as a solo sailor) than it does to drive a cart or ride a horse.

While I don't think that Stamina drain should be removed completely from riding and driving carts/wagons, I do feel the drain is far too fast for what it is. I think it could be slowed down a good bit while riding or driving and adjusted based on the above mentioned reasonings.

I also think that perhaps there is no drain while out to sea is likely because if something happens to your boat, you're not literally dead in the water. Or the fact that it's a method of stamina recovery when you're needing to be out of your boat (in which case I feel the boat should just be anchored so it's not moving, AKA not being actively commanded).
But I do also feel that boats need to be brought into line with SOME kind of drain, with less drain involved based on the amount of passengers on said ship. Since after all, it's easier to "hoist the sails, moor/raise the anchor" and all the other boatly things with a whole crew involved. 😜

7 minutes ago, Zera said:

While I do find it also weird that Stamina drains during riding or driving a vehicle (and it can likely be attributed to "wogic"), I can also kind of understand it.
In the sense that riding a horse requires active balance and appropriate body control to avoid falling off and steering.
The same general idea goes for driving a vehicle I suppose. You're still steering, actively maintaining a certain 'speed' if you will, encouraging and/or controlling the idea of your animals moving forward, slowing down, stopping, turning, etc;
In this regard we're not exactly "bumps on a log".

Though the same could be said for controlling a boat, which doesn't make sense why the 2 are treated differently. There's a lot more that goes into boat command/control (especially as a solo sailor) than it does to drive a cart or ride a horse.

While I don't think that Stamina drain should be removed completely from riding and driving carts/wagons, I do feel the drain is far too fast for what it is. I think it could be slowed down a good bit while riding or driving and adjusted based on the above mentioned reasonings.

I also think that perhaps there is no drain while out to sea is likely because if something happens to your boat, you're not literally dead in the water. Or the fact that it's a method of stamina recovery when you're needing to be out of your boat (in which case I feel the boat should just be anchored so it's not moving, AKA not being actively commanded).
But I do also feel that boats need to be brought into line with SOME kind of drain, with less drain involved based on the amount of passengers on said ship. Since after all, it's easier to "hoist the sails, moor/raise the anchor" and all the other boatly things with a whole crew involved. 😜

1. Can you think of any downsides to completely eliminating the Stamina drain when riding or driving carts or wagons?
2. Would adjusting the Stamina drain based on the level of difficulty involved in controlling the vehicle enhance the gameplay experience?
3. How can the Stamina drain for boats be altered to more accurately reflect the amount of effort required to operate them?
4. Despite being reduced based on the number of passengers, are there any advantages to having a Stamina drain in place for boats?
5. How might changes to the Stamina drain for vehicles and boats impact the overall balance of the game?

35 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

1. Can you think of any downsides to completely eliminating the Stamina drain when riding or driving carts or wagons?

I know having little to no Stamina in a fight is a bad thing and not something you want to be caught in.
So having Stamina drain while riding or driving continuously and allowing your Stamina to drain can cause you to be in quite the jam if you encounter something that wants to eat your face.
Removing drain completely removes that part of the threat while mounted.
Also considering mounted combat seems to be common-place for a lot of people, especially at rifts from time to time (from what I understand anyway) this also says that removing drain on riding/driving removes that additional "threat" that having little to no Stamina available proposes.

38 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

2. Would adjusting the Stamina drain based on the level of difficulty involved in controlling the vehicle enhance the gameplay experience?

I think it would add some sense and reasoning behind it. It would also give further "Choose wisely" scenarios in terms of which transportation you choose to use in certain situations.
You may not choose to use a Wagon for everything if you find it will drain more Stamina to control than Large Cart would. 🤔
Or you may not choose to sail the biggest or most complex ship when you decide to go fishing in the Sea or to tackle that Sea Monster that's spawned not so far off. 🤷‍♀️

41 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

3. How can the Stamina drain for boats be altered to more accurately reflect the amount of effort required to operate them?

The larger the ship (size and sail) the more complex it is to pilot. (my best guess here).
A rowboat would obviously take the most Stamina use as it is literal "rowing" without the aid of Sails and is unaffected by the weather found in the game.
Since boats don't currently drain any stamina at all, any change to this would "more accurately reflect some effort to operate". xD

43 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

4. Despite being reduced based on the number of passengers, are there any advantages to having a Stamina drain in place for boats?

This was already answered in your first question I think. It works as an Advantage/Disadvantage system.
Not all suggestions or ideas necessarily have to be "give me better things" so much as "this seems like it fits as a whole into what already is or could be"

44 minutes ago, antonslavick said:

5. How might changes to the Stamina drain for vehicles and boats impact the overall balance of the game?

Removal of Stamina drain on mounts/vehicles I feel would be a terrible idea.
Yes they are meant to "lighten the load" and they do, but they shouldn't make the character immune to the fact that movement and travel should cause stamina. If it were made to be that way, no one would walk anywhere. They'd have a saddled horse or a nearby cart/wagon and use that to move any more than a couple of tiles across their deed to do whatever it was they'd need to do. Just for the sake of saving a little Stamina in the process. 🤷‍♀️

Adding Stamina to boat commanding would put it more in line with the land-based travel and just makes overall sense rather than swimming about in the sea for a good bit until you're near drowning to just jump onto this massive ship and sail it as far as you'd like when you should otherwise be too entirely exhausted to do so. (Not that lack of Stamina has ever stopped someone from riding or driving anything anyway). But there are threats in the water too, sharks, the occasional "aquatic bear", Sea Serpents (and whatever else is out there).

Ultimately given the fact that Stamina drain on any transportation method has little to no consequences that aren't related to combat (in the moment), there is no real pro-vs-con to changing this Stamina system.
Unless you're counting moving a very large distance and then immediately trying to sprint across a deed or something right away. 🤪

Subject and object.

The activity of the subject is directed to the object. Activities consume energy.

The player in the game is the subject and everything else is the objects. Therefore, you lose energy as if you were carrying an object (horse) on yourself.

W for Wogic

yFCMroD.jpg

sailing used to drain stamina the same way....;

now we can sail and improve items we hold in inventory(items in the boat do not properly maintain location of item/player and actions stop, even if your placement as player and the object never changes as distance);

+1
fix other vehicles, idk for riding

• Like 1