Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Timeline of Failure: Chronicles of Elyria, The Day Before, Dreamworld, Identity

I was pretty hyped for CoE but knew something wasn't quite right early on when the only benchmarks of forward movement on development were stories, poems, and lore - even when fans got agitated and demanded some proof of work. Very glad I wasn't one of the many that went so far as to financially invest in the CoE scam.

I remember CoE being hyped up by some folks in Wurm, not surprised to see it on this list. 

Won't be surprising if there's still bunch of people all hyped up and stuff,waiting to be released or something to happen and firecly defending them whenever someone mention something related to them.

I also remember Greed Monger from many years ago as I am sure Brash_Endeavors does. It is awful when investors are drawn in to put their cash into something that looks or sounds great!

It makes me feel so grateful that I play Wurm and although it may not be perfect in the minds of some, I feel that we are fortunate that we have a development team who- in my opinion- do their best to make this game a wonderful ,evolving experience.

The grass in not always greener on the other side!

3 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Yeah I was one of the investors. $500.00 but I pulled out 2/mo before it was announced and got my money back through my bank. I was one of the lucky ones that got it back before the deadline. 

Edited by Ismira
  • Like 2

Tempting to put the blame on Kickstarter for quite a long line of failures.

But unfortunately I also remember the game Everquest Next, a game made by Sony Online Entertainment, so quite a big company. Everquest Next promised amazing features like destructible terrain. The game never made it, turned out there were technical limitations that were unsolvable. Leaving many players behind who spend cash on the demo: Everquest Next Landmark.

Camelot Unchained is another one that *seemed* to have knowledgeable, professional folks behind it.  Since I am not into PvP I haven't followed exactly what went wrong with it, other than it was never released and although not officially cancelled,  some believe it never will be. 

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is another one that had a big name behind it, unclear how much Brad McQuaid's unexpected death caused that one to struggle. McQuaid, the original creator of Everquest 1,   was controversial as his personal issues made him  either a hero or a demon depending on who you asked, which is probably why their kickstarter failed a decade ago and they had to turn to private funding. Their twitter insists they are still making progress. 

So at least Kickstarter can't be blamed for that last one at least,  since people refused to bite despite the fact McQuaid was experienced with several MMOs (EQ1/Vanguard), both of which I personally enjoyed a lot. 

Speaking of old classics rising from the grave -- I am still hoping someday for some sort of official reboot of Asheron's Call ... although there is still an emulation version that is alive and kicking and seems to get periodic updates. Turbine Studios no longer exists though they did sell the LOTRO and Dungeons & Dragons Online IP to another studio, but I never heard of them selling the AC rights to anyone.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1