Sign in to follow this  
Ripsipiirakka

Windmills

Yeah Windmills as building wich can mill grain to flour without failing.

things you need=

-5 large nails

-50 planks

-20 shafts

-grindstone

Just activate grain and click on windmill and there would read mill and then the flour would appear inside windmill.

But this would only happen in wind stages as breeze and gale.

I just thought to share my idea with you.

Oh yeah 25 carpentry would be needed.

Yeah Windmills as building wich can mill grain to flour without failing.

things you need=

-5 large nails

-50 planks

-20 shafts

-grindstone

Just activate grain and click on windmill and there would read mill and then the flour would appear inside windmill.

But this would only happen in wind stages as breeze and gale.

I just thought to share my idea with you.

Oh yeah 25 carpentry would be needed.

Increase plankage 100

Increase shafts to 40

Increase nails to 10

Make new item 'Windmill Grindstone'

Recipe for making 'windmill grindstone'

Equip Iron Lump on Large Anvil

Create -> Windmill or Large Grindstone

6kg of iron lump needed to create.

'Least you can do for an automatic flour generator

I agree with dzine that the amount of items required should go up. Should it also not require sheets, so it can actually catch the wind?

Instead of a metal grindstone, it should obviously be a stone one, way heavier then the current grindstone. So maybe a large grindstone, 20-50kg or so?

A 1x1 house already needs 80 planks, so this should require at least something like 250-500 planks, I mean, they would be as big as a tower and just look at what those need.

I would propose: 500 planks, 200 shafts, 100 large nails, some sheets, large grindstone. Or something like that

I agree with dzine that the amount of items required should go up. Should it also not require sheets, so it can actually catch the wind?

Instead of a metal grindstone, it should obviously be a stone one, way heavier then the current grindstone. So maybe a large grindstone, 20-50kg or so?

A 1x1 house already needs 80 planks, so this should require at least something like 250-500 planks, I mean, they would be as big as a tower and just look at what those need.

I would propose: 500 planks, 200 shafts, 100 large nails, some sheets, large grindstone. Or something like that

I do not think that it is worth THAT much effort... I say instead of 100 planks or 500.. 250 planks, 50 shafts, large grindstone made by a masonist, and 35 large iron nails.

I don't know what kind of windmill has sheets, i have never seen one,

We should also be able to make Iron windmills and Iron windmill blades.. TolarTexasWindmillFarm604SFenstermacher.jpg

Would those tiny windmills really be strong enough? Would they be able to produce enough force to power a grind thing? They don't really look like the right type of windmill for that ;)

Not sure if they were sheets, kinda looked like it. Some of the pictures I was basing it off:

p254689-Netherlands-Dutch_Windmill.jpg

dutch_windmi_24788_lg.gif

Add shards and mortar for basement. Cloth-sheets/sails (4) for wings. Maybe some steel metal springs.

Animation: speed of winds depend on wind power. Orientation (yes some of them rotating:)) shows you direcion of wind

Size like tower.

Ql of windmill depend on masonry/carpentry (if we made wooden or stone mills).

Windmill worsk like oven with hotfoodcooking. Miller put grain to the mill like in oven (maybe we need some special bags?) and wait when it will be ready. The bigger ql of windmill the faster it mills. So ql of final flour depends on skill of you Milling (like hotfoodcooking).

So I guess all mechanics already in wurm. Only models need. But it is not a big problem.

those metal ones are pretty much just large weather vains...  Some of them are used form pumping water from aquifers but they generally don't generate enough force for milling.

Also, Windmills weren't the only mills out there.  There were animal driven mills that worked just the same, but with more reliable milling capabilities as long as you kept your mule fed.  These were found in more urban areas as windmills were generally placed on top of hills for maximum wind catching.

I'm not convinced by the idea, but if it should appear, you should require 2 grindstones (or windmill grindstones which I would suggest as preferable). One on its own can't grind... I know we only use 1 for standard grinding, but that can be done with any old rock on a grindstone.

TolarTexasWindmillFarm604SFenstermacher.jpg

Photos you linked are cool.(And the other photos well they are much more further stages of windmills) Because they are not only windmills as everyone suggesting for grain. They are power plants. In my country they used its spinning power to get water from underground, and it can be used for milling. And blacksmiths used those to pump air in their oven for better heat. And more...

Maybe adding more futuristic thought like this would be better. You can add a part for usage for these windmills. with one item and some additions there can be more usage of one item. You can cart the part attach it and use it for you will.

Add a "grindstone" for milling

Add a "saw" you got saw machine

Add a "spindle" you got cloth string machine and much more tailoring machines...

Add a "rope tool" you got rope machine

Add a whetstone for sharpening

Add a "pump and some pipes" you get water anywhere. Pumping some water to your dried farm

Attach a forge to pump some air to fasten heat, and go higher temperatures (metals have different melt point)

Don't attach anything shows wind direction.

(well new items needed to fit to spinning shaft of the windmill)

So wurmians have met with "the wind power" by the ships... and some secret wurmian laboratories maybe working to control this mysterious power deep in the woods :)

Why not water power as well?

We have no rivers (yet).

Using mills to automate the tedious flour grinding process makes sense because it's ridiculously hard to produce any useful quantities of flour (because bread is hard to make and not very useful), but that's the only reason and even that doesn't feel comfortable. If you begin to automate crafting you're forcing Wurm into an industrial revolution. I'd like Wurm's current low-tech-magical fantasy setting to remain more or less in the same state.

Why not water power as well?

We have no rivers (yet).

Using mills to automate the tedious flour grinding process makes sense because it's ridiculously hard to produce any useful quantities of flour (because bread is hard to make and not very useful), but that's the only reason and even that doesn't feel comfortable. If you begin to automate crafting you're forcing Wurm into an industrial revolution. I'd like Wurm's current low-tech-magical fantasy setting to remain more or less in the same state.

It can still be low-tech with new things. We just need to think about on both directions. It need to be well balanced and not speeding up the production. Only reducing some right click actions.

Production can be fixed for Gale:1min per item.

And container of the windmill can be limited.

Maintenance could be hard.

No skill gain, Ql depends on machine

Something can get stuck and make it stop working (they are not very well calibrated machines)

I think it can be fun to watch and try to keep them work :P

I repeat my suggestion about windmills (if we dont want it to industrial and overpowered).

Let's it work like oven and hotfoodmaking. For example you put inside mill 10-20 special bags (only this amount fits inside). Inside each bag you can put 1-5 unit of grain. QL of Windmill (probably with wind modification) affects on speed of milling.

QL of flour depends on milling skill person put grain inside (same formulas like with Hot food cooking-meals).

Examine on grain shows you ready status ("only grain", "semi-ready","almost done" and so on)

I think factories will be a good idea. If the game actually gets a city or two then it will become interesting because then it isn't backward rural village and fort online.