Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Android Client

I'm pretty decent with java right now, and am learning Android development. I am sure this has been asked before, but I didn't get anything when searched.

How about an Android client? I'd be glad to sink my teeth into it!

Maybe not even a client, it would be nice if we could get a wurm API to access information from outside of the game.  Like deed information, or merchant information.

Maybe not even a client, it would be nice if we could get a wurm API to access information from outside of the game.  Like deed information, or merchant information.

Hmm, like your merchant or deed? That would require a plugin supported by the devs, of course, as right now you have to log into the game and go to said merchant or deed.

I think something like access to ally/village/freedom/gfreedom chat should be enough. :) "Real" Wurm client on mobile phones is still impossible to create.

I think something like access to ally/village/freedom/gfreedom chat should be enough. :) "Real" Wurm client on mobile phones is still impossible to create.

How so? You would just have to re-do the GUI to support smaller screans, and add support for touch. Lastly, make calls to OpenGLES instead of base OpenGL.

Problem I foresee with this is that no android tablets or phones have a graphic processor capable of rendering the sheer amount of stuff Wurm Online has.  Granted, it would try, but you'd get near zero FPS as it's constantly trying to load objects, items, terrain, etc, etc... basically even if you do manage to get wurm to work on an android device, it'd be unplayable.  Today's Technological limitations.  Perhaps in a few years mobile devices will have the required integrated components for a game this size.

That said, I think it'd be awesome to be able to access ingame chats from an android client, for the purpose of chatting or spying etc.  Being able to manage one's deed settings would be nice, but would need some sort of security.. perhaps by linking your wurm account.. something I don't see happening unless it was an official code club app.

Never know, prove me wrong!

+1 for API. Eve Online has one and it's all great. I'd love to access all details of my character from outside the game.

How so? You would just have to re-do the GUI to support smaller screans, and add support for touch. Lastly, make calls to OpenGLES instead of base OpenGL.

Wurm is all about GUI navigation, optimizing it for mobile devices would require A LOT of work to be at least "possible to use".

Such api would be awesome for several applications.

I'd also like an api for adding text from third party sources to the chat prompts. The context I have in mind is customised guard summoning text, especially if it's randomized in some ways.

However, caution would be needed to avoid potential abuses injecting text using console commands or whatever.