Sign in to follow this  
Valdor

6th Year of Wurm! Some tips for those wanting to play.

Going to make this post a short one, but yes, I made another year playing the game and even accomplishing a few things in it. I have proudly failed to stay away from the forums and yes... having no kids does help.

I don't want people to just play Wurm for the sake of playing (I think Wurm has succeeded way beyond Minecraft as a great game), however if someone feels that they have a few problems with finding any meaning in digging, woodcutting, smithing and leatherworking, then this might help:

*I never got my character banned from the game. I don't intend to do so and I hope this never happens. It may come as a shock to some, but getting a character banned actually diminishes the enjoyment of Wurm. My time online varies, but it usually stays in the very enjoyable range of between an hour of play every few days, to a six hour marathons on some lazy weekend afternoons. Incidentally, I found that Wurm is a great hangover cure on those early Saturday mornings when every other activity is just out of the question.

*Caring about the people you meet here is something that also keeps me pinned. The best way I found to keep in touch with those I met online was - to my shock - playing Wurm. Yes, you can keep in touch with them via Facebook, Messenger, Skype, IRC and a variety of other sophisticated means, but take my word for it here... through extensive research over a long period of time I found that hopping online to Wurm (even if only for a few minutes) produces much more immediate results than all the above combined.

*Talk with someone about Wurm. Preferably in game. I find it keeps me steadily interested in our virtual world and validates my conviction that I am not wasting my time. When a loved one needs you, shut down your computer completely (not just Wurm) and go enjoy RL. But when nothing is going on, it's amazing what digging, woodcutting, mining and other activities that are very strenuous IRL but a bit less so in Wurm can do for your smile.

Not much more do add. I guess other people that have been able to enjoy the game might contribute as well if they still watch the forums (and let's face it, I know you are watching).

And no, this is by no means my last post!

See you soon.

Valdor.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry, Malvado, I just couldn't resist. No disrespect, brother :) And also, if anyone IS experiencing any form of game addiction, or think they may be showing such symptoms, then by all means, seek help. Don't delay. And come back to us when things are under control. Otherwise, see you in Wurm, you crazy, overworked, underpaid, malnutritioned, semi-frustrated, but very entertained player that should probably be doing something else right now, but what the hell, we only live once!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 18

yolo

so spend as much time sitting in a chair as possible.

Edited by Haydn

More like 6 months playing Wurm for you mate.

Let the playing for 6 years thread for those that played for 6 years (almost 4 and counting here, so not me).

yolo

I prefer to sit on an exercise ball. :P

• Like 1

Valdor, Point - Counter Point nicely done with your post here. I had been tempted to post within that "other" thread but since I could come up with nothing but a reflection of negativity it emitted, I have chosen to refrain comment within. Your more considerate approach here is the wiser decision, I can see.

Beyond this I can not see how playing online games for any extended amount of time can be classified as an addiction. To me it would just indicate a neglect of personal responsibilities that are of more importance than whiling away the hours playing said online or pc games. This is something that a person can overcome through self discipline rather than trying to label it as an addiction that the individual has little control over.

Each person must choose for themselves how much time they can devote to games such as this one and accept that they are responsible for any negative effects should they arise. I would not presume to tell anyone what those limits would be nor take their responsibility upon myself for doing so. We each have our own demons to confront and ultimately that responsibility is wherein the solution resides.

I see Wurm merely as a pleasant diversion and enjoy my time within these creatively unfolding worlds on whatever basis suits my inclinations. Perhaps those less sure of who they are would need some guidance in this respect on how to structure their game time and if that is the case then of course they should seek out the same. As for me I shall follow the road as it unfolds before me with little care for what remains behind.

=Ayes=

yolo

If your butt takes a while to go from flat to normal again when you stand up, you know you're playing wurm right

Well without making a long post and sparing myself being a complete hypocrit...

The Op's post I honestly can't really make out, at one point it sound like he's going to give tips to help people break a addiction on wurm if they believe they have one, which would be great and welcome advice. However the way it's wrote up, it seems more of a "I need attention"

With that said, I'm going to assume by what people have posted here that it's the former and it was meant to help. I'm glad you've managed to find a way to break away from wurm, I've had many - many - "addictions" over my short life so far, and I still have a few that I have just recently (within 3-4 weeks) started trying to break. It's good to see I'm not the only one with the issue :)

To those wanting to shorten your time, or quit, wurm though (and maybe apply this to other things) you shouldn't need to get yourself banned. I took a look at why I was addicted, I realized its because I thought I couldn't do things in the real world, or that I didn't know what to do, and I was "waiting" for something. I came around to realizing that things were actually waiting on me.

So maybe your stuck in the same case, stop saying "nah, I don't feel like going to do it" and instead go out, enjoy the sun, maybe go talk to some friends if you have any in person, go to launch. Go drive around in that new vehicle you got and haven't drove!

I guess overall what I'm saying is, (in my case, which may help others) I was the one holding myself back. Depressing myself, always having bad thoughts, and always tried to blame others even when I knew the truth.

Stop holding yourself back, Because

everyone else is just waiting for you! :P

Good luck!