Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Describe Your First Moments In Wurm

Wow lol, totally forgot that you lost resources on fails, that was a pain in the butt :/

My first experience with wurm was rather awkard, I found the game while looking up for free games on random sites in 2006, It was the first MMO I played and the concept was rather new to me. I just logged in to lag horribly because my computer was outdated, managed to walk a few tiles, got stuck between a slope and a fence, shouted for help in Local a few times and logged off.

Attempt 2: In 2007 I remebered vaguely of a game called Whurm, so I searched a few hours for it because I got the name wrong lol. Installed it on my new machine, and created a new account, Iulianx. I landed in just a few months before the FightFix, in NewTown the mother of all lag and capitol of JKH.

The fist hours I spent gathering woodscraps I found on the ground, the crossed the NT lake towards Pheonix Entreprise where i cut down a few trees and made bout 30 planks that i abandoned because they where too heavy to carry. Found some clay and made myself some clay jars and bowls then I asked a random guy near the clay pit if I could use his campfire to make my pottery and he agreed. It took 45 minutes for them to get done so in the meanwhile I foraged every inch of the area finding a few stuff.

Then I crossed the lake and found an offdeed settlement (Blackshire they called it), There I met Bigbadbob, Shangtzung, Stika and Startroop. They allowed me to settle there and so my adventure began.

Spent 2 hours smelting the same iron scrap to make my first large anvil to get it stolen by a noob called Aldis, that logged off. We penned the place where he left the world but forgot to make a gate so when he came back in he did trade all the stolen stuff back but we couldn't free him since Shangtzung the only prem player in our community was logged off.

After a while we all decided to make a real deed and found a nice place in the middle of a lake and founded Shanbobka. (I still laugh at the name even today :D)

I could also speak for my adventure on Wild with Startroop, We started at The Landing and where trying to join BL and on our way to his hideout, we met a guy that asked if he could tag along, we didn't knew better and accepted him. While I was chopping up some trees with then new dude, he "accidentally" targeted me and I started running around with him following me pretending to not relaise what is happening. Hearing the commotion Startroop took us both off the writ of his house and cowered inside while I died knocking at his door and desperately shouting at him to let me in while I got axed in the back.

And well, I could write a novel but these are my first experiences of both PvE and PvP as a newb :D

Edited by Iulianx
  • Like 1

Let's see I logged in for the first time and I was stuck inside of a tree.

I had to /suicide to get out. :P

I don't remember exactly what year but i think early 05 ?

I remember logging in and asking a bunch of questions in chat:

'Hey, what is a good weapon?' .... 'Damage is based on weapon weight so use a log or felled tree'

'How do I get food?' ....'Only thing is fish'

Almost everything had the human model, so i got killed trying to talk to a bear.... good times.

BTW anyone remember cart building when it wasn't very forgiving lol.

Yeah Elen, trying to make a large cart back then with low FC. Man did those things eat up planks. I swear it took about 200 planks and about 4 hours to make a large cart haha.

Edited by Kryx

Tutorial hooked me.

Logged in at the howl. Immediately got lost. Harvested a lemon. Couldn't figure out anything to do with the lemon. Started looking for a place to settle, encountered endless slums, then deeds and enclosures. Marvelled at Halcyon. Kept looking for a place to settle. Got yelled at by someone at Black Dog isle for looking for a way through the tangle of walls or something.

Eventually, found a spot halfway up a steep hill where I could practice digging for a bit.

Continued looking for a place to settle. More enclosures, deeds and slums.

Drowned. Lost useful things like compass, backpack...

Started off in the opposite direction, headed southish this time.

Marvelled at Freedom Harbour, then Exile's Gate.

Went to the southwest, finally found some empty land to call my own and some friends to mess about with. I was mega-hooked :)

Throughout the whole time, I recall the huge challenge it was just keeping myself fed. Once I had my place though, a friend gave me a fishing rod and I was set. Fish + foraged or botanised stuff = fed. Yay!

lets see, read about wurm either on massively or pc gamer, about 2 years ago.

tried it out, went thru the tutorial, picked exodus because it was brand new server.

spawned in esert. Lots of dead bodies and some ghostly guards about. several trolls were fighting these ghosts.

avoided them, found clay, went ahh tutorial, lets make some bowls. tried to do that but couldnt get a fire lit to finish them. saw the desert with all the mobs in it and thought, hmm, lets head in that direction. died seconds later to a massive scorpion, lion, croc train. lost my backpack and compass and didnt get new ones for like 6 months later.

eventually headed north to the coast, and plopped my noob shack behind Aldur's deed, i think it was called rockhaven. always working on keeping my little forest protected back then. met a lot of cool people and helped them out, couldnt prem and eventaully tired of constant need or repairing my non-deeded land.

came back after about a year.

new deed and fun began again.

Copied from an old article I wrote about my first night in Wurm:

So at the end of the tutorial, I was offered the choice of going to Freedom (the PvE server) or Wild (the PvP server). I chose PvE, and was placed in an area close to Freedom Market, a player-made town/hub/market. Now I will say that the coolest thing ever in Wurm is realizing that every single fence, road, market stall, house, or landmark was made by the players. There was also a pretty active worldwide chat channel, and you could hear the sounds of wood being chopped and nails being hammered in the distance.

The pop-up window that greeted me to my new server said “GO! EXPLORE! The further away you go, the better experience you’ll have!â€, so I started off in a northeasterly direction, armed with nothing more than a 2-week-old player-made map for navigation. Unfortunately in my haste to get started, I missed picking up a newbie compass at the market, so I was relying completely on landmarks and general directional fortitude. I walked for literally hours, having to stop to catch my breath periodically, especially at the top of steep hills, before I could go any further. I passed into the wilderness, through the steppes, past giant mountains, and into lush forestlands. Oh, and it was nighttime and raining.

wurm.20110322.1841-1024x640.jpg

Yes, it was that dark. It was actually really creepy… you have to be really careful because you never know what will be out there waiting for you.

scorpion1.jpg?w=640&h=400

What in the world?!?!?!?!?

scorpion2.jpg?w=640&h=400

AIYEEEEE!!!! Giant man-sized scorpion… and that is a YOUNG one. Apparently there was a scorpion nest in these parts. I’ve since then seen an actual giant scorpion and they are grotesquely, monstrously huge.

Just past the scorpion was a giant (but young) man-sized spider as well. I asked in chat and apparently scorpions and spiders, but especially scorpions, are an extremely tough fight, and I had zero fighting skill and no idea how the combat system works. Between the two of them, I didn’t think I would be able to make it any further, so I ran up a friendly looking path lined with oleander bushes to find a place to hunker down until morning.

wurm.20110322.1851_2-1024x640.jpg

Oh look, a bed and a nice bench under a tree? Oh crud, it’s not a bench, it’s a… stone coffin. This night was getting better and better.

Finally somebody in chat mentioned that I could just go around the offensive scorpion and spider, and that if worse came to worse I could probably outrun them before they killed me. Just what I like to hear. I did get past them, and eventually made my way up to the Shipyard of Poland, a player-made seaside shipyard and dock on the northeastern tip of the mainland. I was tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, and wounded, and still had no particular goal in mind. I ended up logging off... but I realized that I had a BLAST. It was easily the most immersive game content I had experienced in a long, long time, and I knew that this was the start of a beautiful thing.