Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Remove lockpicking rule from game rules

There has been debate about it. I will repeat myself in official suggestion. 

The only 2 things that can lockpicked on freedom currently are gates and small chests, and mind you that is ofdeed. If game mechanic allows it, i don't see why rules should forbids it. After all we can bash said gates without consequences, and for small chests, well though luck if you want something secured ofdeed plenty of other ways to lock it outside of reach. who's to prove ownership of abandoned small chest...

This whole mess and confusion can be resolved with simply removing that rule that makes no sense and ruins the fun, thank you very much

• Like 5

The only time I can think about the fences being relevant too  is to protect off deed orchards, off deed farms or off deed animals pens - all of which, I assume, another player wouldn't be bashing into regardless - so I agree that maybe its time this rule goes.

With the new feature of fenced off areas having their own enclosure rules on the way too, I am sure those rules will also prevent lockpicking by default, so it wouldn't really change those too.

+1 

What reasons are there for lockpicking on Freedom servers, other than to gain access into locked areas and to unlock and loot containers on disbanded deeds or undeeded areas?  None of that seems to mesh with an exclusively PVE server.  Should the devs just allow ships and wagons on Freedom servers to be lockpicked as well?

Lockpicking is for PVP and it should should remain on PVP.  If you want to grind it, even above 90, go to a PVP server.  Lockpicking should not work at all on Freedom.

Deed it or lose it +1

Wurm is a sandbox game, and not the private property of PvP users. Lockpicking is fun, I love to pick my own locks for skill grind (though I am lazy), and no PvPer or "Deed it or lose it" thug has the right to take it away.

There are so many obvious issues with this. You could lockpick Boats, Carts, Wagons, Houses (of newbies offdeed), BSBs of people who run a community project for the good of the game, loot the private possessions of your deedmates which are normally blocked to you through locks... I'm sure we could think of more but these few are more than enough in my opinion. 

To the best of my knowledge and experience in PvE, you cannot lockpick others' boats, carts, wagons, bsb etc., none of them. Even locks of deed or alliance mates are blocked, and there is no way to allow it other than transferring ownership. Gate locks and small chests seem to be an exception by reasons unknown to me. That may be a trap to catch a warning or even a ban for unsuspecting lockpickers. That is why I am for either removing those exceptions for both or at least the chest, or allow lockpicking at least on gates where it makes sense as an alternative to destruction.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

+1 You should be able to lockpick it without breaking any rules if the game lets you to bash it open (offdeed). 

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 2

Yeah, people, i thought that is clear. I'm not suggesting for enabling lockpicking carts, wagons and what not on freedom(although i would love to).

I am simply proposing to GMs or whoever is responsible for that to remove this rule from game rules:

Lockpicking
A ) Lockpicking anything that does not belong to you is not permitted.
Punishment: You may be warned, or banned based on the situation.

As it makes no sense, game mechanics prevent you from lockpicking anything already, except from gates and small chests. And you can bash gates which is not against the rules so it makes no sense that lockpicking gates should be against the rules.

Nothing more than that. 

• Like 2