Sign in to follow this  
LordArth

Farming, cooking healing Update Suggestion

Farming update

As you all know, farming and crops harvesting are an important part of Wurm Online. We have several veggies in the game but some essentials are still missing. 
I think we need to add those new veggies to allow future suggestions for brand new recipes and even custom recipes. Of course this change might impact affinity calculator sites but it should not big a big issue as there are just a few I suggest to be added. 

Screen :

Spoiler

Capture-d-cran-2023-09-21-23-17-04.png

Cooking update : 

Some ideas to add in the cooking domain ! 

Herbs mix  :

Spoiler

Capture-d-cran-2023-09-21-23-19-24.png

Tea recipes :
I have seen that we can't make tea by combining several herbs wich is really not cool knowing that adding a few more variants would allow ur to use tea more often in the game and even try to benefit from it's affinities. I will give some examples of mixes but way more can be added ! If the idea is liked I will add way more custom tea recipes.

Spoiler

Capture-d-cran-2023-09-21-23-25-49.png

Bulion recipe
I am Romanian and I thought a little bit of Romanian cuisine would not hurt ! Bulion is a sort of sauce made of tomatoes and vinegar and other ingredients ! We could either use tomatoes or tomato juice but I'll let you decide. It is very often used to make "Ciorba" a sort of soup like chicken soup for example but with a bit different taste from classic soupe.

Spoiler

Capture-d-cran-2023-09-21-23-23-13.png

Healing Update : 
really think that we need a remake of the way we heal ! It is not realistic (using string to bandage for example) and it isn't interesting at all... Creatures and sometimes players are a dedaly enemy and we should have way more content about healing methods ! This is why I have the idea add one new skill as well as 5 more items.
Apothecary skill will allow players to craft healing potions with small instant HP regeneration. It won't be a big change because of the cool down of 1h (maybe more ?) that will prevent spamming potions. Also, the health regeneration will be small, up to 10% ! The quality of the potion should not impact the health regeneration (allowing new players to benefit from it, not only veterans) but a potion inferior to 10 QL would not give any effect. 
(on the picture I made errors about the names, all herbs should be chopped except lemon)

Spoiler

Capture-d-cran-2023-09-21-23-32-37.png

• Like 1

I'm giving this a -1 mainly because we have like 700 food and drink recipes in wurm, and presently only 4? (Excluding intermediate ingredients, breakfast, meals, full house pizza?, stew, khavesi, unfermented moonshine,  and I guess sandwiches) are really made with any regularity, given there's little to no benefit or reason to make anything else. Well, that, and Eggplant is not a friend of tastebuds. But mostly because I don't think it's of any benefit to add to the complexity of an already complex system, when it has no depth. Even though it wouldn't take that much time to add any of this stuff, I'd still rather they added anything useful. 

As for the healing suggestion, this would be a VERY serious nerf to healing, especially for early game players, and I don't think it would go over well at all. Especially when you say that potions under 10ql would give no effect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I'm giving this a -1 mainly because we have like 700 food and drink recipes in wurm, and presently only 4? (Excluding intermediate ingredients, breakfast, meals, full house pizza?, stew, khavesi, unfermented moonshine,  and I guess sandwiches) are really made with any regularity, given there's little to no benefit or reason to make anything else. Well, that, and Eggplant is not a friend of tastebuds. But mostly because I don't think it's of any benefit to add to the complexity of an already complex system, when it has no depth. Even though it wouldn't take that much time to add any of this stuff, I'd still rather they added anything useful. 

As for the healing suggestion, this would be a VERY serious nerf to healing, especially for early game players, and I don't think it would go over well at all. Especially when you say that potions under 10ql would give no effect. 

I don't agree on the cooking part but let's say it's something where each one can have it's own opinion. 

Meanwhile, I can't say you are right in the healing part... I saw new players avoiding fighting at any price because of the fear to die and most players don't even go in PVP because they are scared as hell to die fast and without even understanding what's happening. Ofc a player enemy could use potions as well but creatures don't. So in the best of cases new players would be encouraged to practices their pve earlier and there is nothing bad about it. 5-10% of life regeneration is a very very small quantity. In my opinion this is something we should work on instead of always saying no to new ideas because of the fear to change a couple things. 

The cooking stuff I agree with Arroncus on there are a lot of recipes that just are not used overall because they serve no real purpose besides being filler to a system that is unnecessary complex without giving much joy to it is just a chore at times to restock and the thing is why even bother when you can go buy 200kg of ql 95+ pizzas and itl last you for a year+
Adding more recipes and ingredients won't do much to it.

New players will die quickly in pvp yes 2-3 huge axe hits to the head and they drop dead, well build accounts 5-6 hits to the head and they are dead there isn't much difference there really just the rate of how fast these hits land on you.

A potion isn't going to help people who avoid combat suddenly enjoy combat when that 10% healing can be achieved with life transfer and a huge axe already, you want new players to have a easier time to heal yet the way you go around suggesting it would benefit long term players more then day 1 newbies or week 1 for that matter.

Players just have to learn what monsters they can and cant attack and that means sometimes dying which is not as bad as it is made out to be really.

12 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I'm giving this a -1 mainly because we have like 700 food and drink recipes in wurm, and presently only 4? (Excluding intermediate ingredients, breakfast, meals, full house pizza?, stew, khavesi, unfermented moonshine,  and I guess sandwiches) are really made with any regularity, given there's little to no benefit or reason to make anything else.

I beg to differ because i am always trying out new recipes and my standard fill recipe is mountain goulash with a preference for dagwoods over pizza for ccfp food my drinks of choise are usually fruitaids and whatever distilled liquer i have made recently of course i usually do not follow the crowd in trends so it couldjust be me. dont get me wrong i have made pizza before but i have just found that dagwoods that are wrapped  and portioned tend to last longer in my larder than wrapped pizza does and i believe that is largerly due to the large amount of salt in a dagwood made properly as opposed to a single full house pizza. i also like to try each recipe i discover to see what its effects are or for sheets and giggles

• Like 1

more veggies - opens up some opportunities with cooking wherever we could use ANY vegetables, obvious buff, nothing special;

spices etc.. big MEH ...same with tea and herbs;

alchemy/healing covers.. something there could use some buff with passives or w/e.. some opportunity comes with new foraging/botanizing, if something new and rare is added and could be mixed for certain effects;

1h for cooldown on a healing mush is crazy.. given.. once you use it, you'll likely in open combat get instantly slapped again and need another application, simple cotton bath needs some buff since 5seconds per action on 0.000000001 wounds x10000000 times is crazy dumb, obvious.. unaddressed... and reason to hate and be disgusted by any ice and fire aoe at rifts 🥵🥶🤮

Late game internal wounds aren't big issue(bigger wounds normally, LT fixes them and farmer's salve isn't required once you get better stats and gear), but 100000000000000000000 tiny scratches go away easier by waiting for them to naturally heal than actually hitting something with LT to heal the damage, since it only heals 1 wound at a time, it's just dumb how unbalanced pve mass combat is. 

• Like 1

More options for healing would be nice, especially with a more complex alchemy.

Tich's cooking overhaul laid the foundation for such already actually.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:08 PM, wipeout said:

you want new players to have a easier time to heal yet the way you go around suggesting it would benefit long term players more then day 1 newbies or week 1 for that matter.

It wouldn't benefit day 1s at all even. The suggestion is to botanize several specific herbs, and then (with alchemy I guess?), combine them and get a result that is above 10ql simply to be usable, for a 1 time, long cooldown heale. Have fun convincing new players that this is a reasonable way for them to heal themselves up early game. 

On 9/21/2023 at 9:31 PM, LordArth said:

I saw new players avoiding fighting at any price because of the fear to die and most players don't even go in PVP because they are scared as hell to die fast and without even understanding what's happening. Ofc a player enemy could use potions as well but creatures don't. So in the best of cases new players would be encouraged to practices their pve earlier and there is nothing bad about it. 5-10% of life regeneration is a very very small quantity. In my opinion this is something we should work on instead of always saying no to new ideas because of the fear to change a couple things. 

I cannot understand how a single use, incredibly long cooldown 5-10% hp restore is supposed to alleviate people's fear of combat? With cotton, a new player can use it over and over to gradually heal up all their wounds, and there's no cooldown. With these potions, I honestly don't think anyone would use them except maybe for skilling up, because of that cooldown period, and how small the effect is. 

On 9/22/2023 at 7:03 AM, kordethbludscythe said:

but i have just found that dagwoods that are wrapped  and portioned tend to last longer in my larder than wrapped pizza does and i believe that is largerly due to the large amount of salt in a dagwood made properly as opposed to a single full house pizza.

If I'm not mistaken, datamining found out that the 2x decay reduction from an item being salted is overridden by the 5x decay reduction from being wrapped. When you have something wrapped and larder cooled and inside though, the reduction to decay chance is so incredibly large that you'd need an enormous sample to see meaningful results. 

4 hours ago, Karrde said:

More options for healing would be nice, especially with a more complex alchemy.

I agree, but more useful options would be preferable, no? 

On 9/21/2023 at 1:34 PM, LordArth said:

really think that we need a remake of the way we heal ! It is not realistic (using string to bandage for example) and it isn't interesting at all...

Applying cotton to a wound or using strips/strings of cloth has been used for a long time in real life as a method to bandage wounds. Sure, synthetic bandages have become a lot more prevalent these days for minor scrapes, but many medical kits still come with cotton gauze and covers. I can understand thinking it's unrealistic to bandage a wound with your tent because it's made of cotton,  but using cotton is both realistic and practical. I'd recommend against spinning it into string first, though. You're likely losing quality when you do so. 

5 hours ago, Arronicus said:

It wouldn't benefit day 1s at all even. The suggestion is to botanize several specific herbs, and then (with alchemy I guess?), combine them and get a result that is above 10ql simply to be usable, for a 1 time, long cooldown heale. Have fun convincing new players that this is a reasonable way for them to heal themselves up early game. 

I cannot understand how a single use, incredibly long cooldown 5-10% hp restore is supposed to alleviate people's fear of combat? With cotton, a new player can use it over and over to gradually heal up all their wounds, and there's no cooldown. With these potions, I honestly don't think anyone would use them except maybe for skilling up, because of that cooldown period, and how small the effect is. 

If I'm not mistaken, datamining found out that the 2x decay reduction from an item being salted is overridden by the 5x decay reduction from being wrapped. When you have something wrapped and larder cooled and inside though, the reduction to decay chance is so incredibly large that you'd need an enormous sample to see meaningful results. 

Applying cotton to a wound or using strips/strings of cloth has been used for a long time in real life as a method to bandage wounds. Sure, synthetic bandages have become a lot more prevalent these days for minor scrapes, but many medical kits still come with cotton gauze and covers. I can understand thinking it's unrealistic to bandage a wound with your tent because it's made of cotton,  but using cotton is both realistic and practical. I'd recommend against spinning it into string first, though. You're likely losing quality when you do so. 

Of course, for example we now have all flavors of alcohol, so that's two main solvents along with water, besides being an antiseptic. More cloth materials for w/e flavor of bandage one could want. Plus the cooking overhaul imho has set the foundations for a more robust alchemy/chemistry system: powders, tinctures, elixirs, compounds, etc. Let alone w/e fantasy elements - powdered unicorn horn.

Let alone things like surgery for internal wounds, setting broken limbs, and so on.

Then there's related items: poisons, performance enhancers (coughAncientChineseRecipecough), vitamin supplements, and the other weird, fantastical stuff that ancient chemists and alchemists got up to.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the whole overly simplified chug-this-red-health-potion-down-for-HP

Edited by Karrde

22 hours ago, Arronicus said:

Maybe you can add ur constructive opinion and try to improve the starter idea ? it's nice to judge and give feedback but try to also come with something better lol