Sign in to follow this  
MasterGeldrin

Reworking Alliances / Alliance Permissions

OK this is mostly regarding Community Deeds or Group Deeds (Insanity Hills et al) as well as players with sub-deeds.

For those of us doing the above, alliance settings are too limiting. Its all or nothing at the moment which is not useful at all and poses security risks within the "Deed it or lose it" catchphrase.

gWPoG.png

This is how we are now. Nice and simple, but as said, all the citizens [Gold boxes inside main deed] have full permission [Permission indicated by red arrow]. Green arrows are allianceships.

This is how we need to be :

lFgf2.png

Now give it a minute. I know it looks complicated but it is far from it.

Yellow boxes are players (Citizens).

Red arrows are permissions.

Green arrows are allianceships.

Dark blue are Mayors with -full- permissions.

Light blue will be explained later.

This set up is pretty much almost the same as it is for interdeed management, (The roles) but extends outside of singular deeds.

All of the citizens are members of the main deed. By removing the permissions system based on deeds and putting based on citizens you allow greater flexibility being able to set exact permissions for your own deed and allowing your allies to set exact permissions for them on their own deed.

So an in game example:

JoeWorker of Village B wants to Work for Mayor of Village A. A & B still need to ally, -but- A will be able to set just JoeWorker with permission to do one specific task without allowing the rest of Village B those same rights.

For safety's sake: Lightblue arrow is an optional Checkbox for those in an allianceship. Checking the box will allow or disallow allies their permissions. (Think of it as an on/off switch without having to uncheck all the permissions)

---------------------------------------------------------

I know this is long winded, and probably didn't need an image but some people like myself can interpret things easier with a diagram.

TL;DR

Change the Deed permissions system from Deed Based to Player based!

I agree some additional depth is needed for multi-deed communities. But for some villages, having a matrix of every player would be pages and pages long and completely unwieldy.

I agree some additional depth is needed for multi-deed communities. But for some villages, having a matrix of every player would be pages and pages long and completely unwieldy.

Just have deed permissions manageable like boat, house, large cart permissions.

Just creating a role for each deed you're allied to would be fine by me.

Just creating a role for each deed you're allied to would be fine by me.

This is basically what I was suggesting, except having more than one role for each deed. As I said you might one group of citizens from an allied deed some permissions and another group from the same allied deed a different set.

Just allow each "ally" to be assigned a role, like a citizen can.  That would probably be simpler to implement, and would solve a lot of the problems.

Being able to assign roles to individual allies would be very nice, but I can conceive that the database change required for this would be a bit messy, and unlikely to happen quickly.

Adding a role to an ally is basically an extra column on an existing entry.  Adding an extra role to individuals, means whereas any individual can currently have at most one role, with the deed he is a citizen of, instead becomes potentially a role for every deed on the server/s.