Sign in to follow this  
Clesh

After reading the wiki, I have (Basically) no idea what CR is/how it is calculated.

I just started getting into leveling my FS! I was excited to get hear and then read the Fighting wiki page, which declares...

The best way to train fight skill is by fighting opponents that are near your CR.

Well, that's awesome! There must be some clear cut identification of what my CR is somewhere, right? Well, let me click over to the Combat Rating wiki page and comb through a wall of text that's mainly about PvP....

Players have a base combat rating of 4......  Also your basic fighting skill is added 1 per 10 in skill, so if you have fighting 59 you have a CR of 4+5.9=9.9 in base CR. Monsters have their type modifying base CR, making Champion creatures have maybe double the figure of the standard type.

Okay. I can identify my base CR as 5 because I have a base of 4 and 10 FS. Got it. But how do I know what a monster's CR is? Is it also a base of 4 CR modified by their FS? How do I know what modifiers = monster CR?  This is where I became frustrated and confused with the combat system and/or the wiki. There is no clearly designated CR equation for players or monsters. I had to read a wall of text to find what my player CR might be, and I still have no clue what a monster's name means in terms of CR. Any tips or guidance? I'm a frustrated noob.

Edited by Clesh

I've been playing Wurm for 16 years and I don't know how it works, I just try to ride a horse and stand above from what I'm hitting.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Chakron said:

I've been playing Wurm for 16 years and I don't know how it works, I just try to ride a horse and stand above from what I'm hitting.

I'm totally okay with this method! And experimenting with what I can/can't beat. But what's really frustrating to me is reading the wiki and seeing...

The best way to train fight skill is by fighting opponents that are near your CR. That way, the skill you gain will be far superior than training against a creature that is either too strong for you or simply a very easy match.

So, now I feel like I'm wasting efficiency while trying to train my FS, or I won't be gaining proper exp for what I'm fighting. It just feels a bit bad seeing a declaration like this without a clear and simple guide on how to calculate the all-important CR on one page, in one place. If a variable is declared to be all-important, I feel like it should have a clearly defined equation and/or table about it that is directly accessible from such a declaration.

Edited by Clesh

In a nutshell you gain 1 CR every 10 levels. You can drink alcohol to boost your CR, careful when doing this if your new to it. You can use a "greenish potion" every 4 or 5 seconds to get 1 CR up to 5 CR. (no wiki update for that rename yet) These are from saccing high value items as a priest also, maybe with praying also. Being mounted helps as you gain a height advantage (green is good), some things -CR you. Some wounds can kill your CR and make you take massive damage, use LT if you take a lot of damage when you fight basically. Otherwise Venom or BT is recommended with BOTD or WoA, CoC (nimble people are misguided). Don't turn your back on a enemy, big CR loss there. First person mode is ideal when fighting because the game sometimes calculates your back facing the target if your using third person. Be in a huggable position for CR to be work well don't do max melee range it's not ideal. Some weapons work better than others, also if you're using plate against trolls and wonder why you're dying that's because they use blunt damage and it crushes you.

Using leather will get you destroyed by hellhounds but trolls will miss/glance often. The freedom meta tends to be sickle + shield or staff.

General

Warbonus (only works for PvE)
Nimbleness gives CR (I only recommend this for killing uniques / rifts or pvp)

Mounted +2 CR

Priest +3 CR (at 90 faith and when your in influence, so build altars at your events)

Normal stance gives +3 CR

Aggressive stance gives +4 CR

Defensive stance gives +2 CR

Truehit for Aggressive/Normal CR  (+3 from a 90 cast)

Excel for Defensive CR

Keep inventory weight under 37kg less is more CR.

Inventory under 25 items

Some tool weapons (give a -2 CR penalty like sickle or scythe but sickle is still going to outclass in PvE but isn't that good in PvP because of a recent nerf)

Some special moves can remove CR from your opponent 

Meditation has some daily abilities that can give CR.

(more if you check the code, it's kinda funny)

PvP

Chief is +2 CR

Executioner / Royal Avenger +3 CR

Enemies nearby in local gives you a CR bonus

Misconceptions

Carts and boats do not lower CR

Wearing backpack/satchels or quivers do not lower CR

Resources

Sindusk Combat System Explained: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DcmhFgG98O6H2tteBtDehhRcn9cdWAD0lQvIdFA69iU/
Wurm Armor Comparison: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13BjvB2QPGiEwNFQI4Dchghf8_5Ji_yqOA_YjEatB5WI/

Wurm Data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15LXwuTEXdoBbd5agghwDslb-a5xOpA2u1lYshYMxW8A/

Creature Modifiers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dbk6lBbh2mS7s8WbTsKT8uzhU8YUL3xIit4NSqgoHmA/

Edited by Emi
added more
  • Like 1

Most have us have given up trying to work it out. If you manage to work it out, please tell us all. :P 

cabE4d.gif

For skill gain, we know the theory that the monster's Combat Rating should be similar to ours, but most of us don't have access to all the variables in play for any given fight in order to make those fast changing calculations.   In Esc > Settings > User Interface > Skill Tabs Updates, set your skill ticks frequency to Always.  After each fight, check the size of your skill ticks and you will learn from experience which monsters, which techniques and which weapons are giving you the most skill. 

The monster's fighting skill (see table below) is a pretty good indication of the order in which you should try fighting them. Start with domestic animals or a wildcat and progress up through them until they get too tough!  These tough ones will be best left for another day.  Note that different mobs fight in different ways depending on factors such as hunger level, age (older animals have increased fighting capabilities) and any fighting traits bred into them etc.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Creatures

The monsters' conditions (e.g. champion, greenish, alert) where applicable, affect different aspects of their combat such as speed, power, stamina, chance to focus and chance to frenzy (see table below) so it can actually become quite complicated to work out who will get the upper hand.  

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Animal_conditions

There are just so many factors used to determine Combat Rating for each opponent, and they change with almost every fight, that most of us, if we were to try, would have probably gone nuts trying to work it out.  To win fights, what we can do is try to tip the balance in our favour, by beginning each fight fully healed with full health, food, water and stamina, choosing higher ground, preferably mounted, and wielding a good quality weapon with a Life Transfer cast.

• Like 2

Thank you for the detailed write-ups!

• Like 1

1-70 fight skill is very easy. But then if you're looking at 70-90+ it just comes with time. I would start grinding weaponskills rather than looking at the fighting skills. Than before you know it, you'll have 90+. But Sindusks guide will tell you everything you need to know about CR, since he's the one who wrote it and implemented it anyways lol.

• Like 1

Theres ALOT of modifiers to Combat Rating. Something as simple as the ground slope you are in relation to the target, moving, and flanking can make a difference.

If I had to guess, it was intentionally designed to be arcane and difficult to understand in an attempt to make combat more difficult to master. So in a way, you might say that CR is working as intended.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sindusk said:

If I had to guess, it was intentionally designed to be arcane and difficult to understand in an attempt to make combat more difficult to master. So in a way, you might say that CR is working as intended.

Aye, if only it was more visually engrossing. If I wanted walls of text, Id play a MUD. It's fine as a placeholder though, or under-the-hood diagnostics.

Not asking for much, Oblivion for example cleverly disguises the dice rolls in a manner that tricks the user into thinking its twitch combat.

Granted there's always the balance of keeping things fun with trying to model RL factors. Let alone a simple system versus complex.