Sign in to follow this  
Muse

QoL : Website graphics captions

Let's just pretend I'm a brand new player, and I haven't tried Wurm before.

I go to the Website and there are a lot of great images which appear to be screenshots, along with a few images that actually are screenshots.  How do I know which pictures are real in-game graphics and which are not?

Suggestion: 

If a graphic is a real screenshot from the game unaltered in any way - put a caption or footnote under the image: 

"Actual in-game graphics"

If the image has been touched up in any way, including enhanced by AI - put this caption or footnote under the image:

"Artist's impression"

There is nothing wrong with displaying the artist's impressions or AI enhancements - they can be beautiful - as long as everyone is informed and sees them for what they are.

Spoiler

In the UK, the digital content (i.e. the game) must match the description (See Section 36 of The Consumer Rights Act 2015). 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes/division/3/1/4?view=plain

If the digital content differs from the description, then it no longer conforms to the contract.

Depending upon Swedish, international and local laws, the descriptions and screenshots on the website of an online game may be considered to form part of the contract between the online games company and the player.  It is vital that everyone knows which of these pictures are AI images so that they know that these don't form part of the contract between the games company and the player.  In the UK if the player and company have differing beliefs as to what forms part of the game, (i.e. they have different contractual expectations) then there is no contract.

It's universally accepted that screenshots are vitally important in helping a new player accurately judge the suitability of a game before making a purchase.

As an honest company trying to attract a new player, why wouldn't you want to give me this accurate information, prior to contract?

Please keep the new player accurately informed at every stage. 

Edited by Muse

Tbh if I was to research a game for the first time I probably wouldn't even look at the official website, I'd go to steam reviews (which has screenshots on the page) YouTube videos, and maybe some Google Images of the game. Personally I see official websites as a utility for things like in-game stores, forums etc.

In my opinion I also do not think its that uncommon for games to use artwork on websites, promotional materials, and box art. Its one of the reasons why I go to the sources mentioned above to get a clearer picture of the overall game.

All that said I do hope they add a screenshots section soon as I think this would be beneficial in showing off the actual game and how its community helps to build it.

• Like 1