Sign in to follow this  
Arvid

Altar of Accelerated Rot to speed decay of ruins

I've heard quite a few stories of how players have been waiting for that #%&?# house to finally rot, so they could deed the spot it was occupying. I've been in that situation a few times too myself.

So how about being able to buy an item at the nearest trader called "Altar of Accelerated Rot" (or something to that effect), which when planted in an off-deed house missing at least one wall would speed the decay of said house?

• If the owner of the house should happen to come back in time, he can simply right-click->reset on the *item* and it will go poof and reset the extra damage it caused.
  • When a player enters a house in which such an *item* is active he gets a message saying it.
  • The extra decay caused should increase proportionally with the percentage of walls missing (1 wall missing = small effect. 1 wall still standing = big effect)
  • Price could be maybe 2 silver

With so much empty land, is this really an issue?

There is always somewhere else available that is just as good, if not better.

Also, someone built it and expected it to last a certain amount of time.

Maybe they will come back? You can't always tell.

If you speed up off-deed decay too much, it makes off deed building pointless.

Slow it down too much and paying for a deed loses some of its value.

It's a fine balance.

25 minutes ago, Kerry said:

With so much empty land, is this really an issue?

There is always somewhere else available that is just as good, if not better.

Also, someone built it and expected it to last a certain amount of time.

Maybe they will come back? You can't always tell.

If you speed up off-deed decay too much, it makes off deed building pointless.

Slow it down too much and paying for a deed loses some of its value.

It's a fine balance.

Yes, it's very fine balance and that's why i developed this idea.

Instead of generally speeding up decay, why not enable players to speed up decay exactly where they want it the most? At a cost of course and at risk of losing their investment, if the owner of the house comes back in time.

I've tried to balance the idea the best I could, so that it would be used only where players really, really want it.

The thing is, there is no "if the owner comes back in time" after the houses are speed decayed completly and the new owner did build over it. So you only could set the timer back in the short time until the house is completly gone and new ones are started to build. So at least the previous owner has not the chance to come back after certain time and reclaim its house.

Edited by Sirene

1 hour ago, Sirene said:

The thing is, there is no "if the owner comes back in time" after the houses are speed decayed completly and the new owner did build over it. So you only could set the timer back in the short time until the house is completly gone and new ones are started to build. So at least the previous owner has not the chance to come back after certain time and reclaim its house.

Correct. The owner will have less time to come back to save his house if that's what he want. Some may like that, some may be "meh, whatever" and some may not like it. That's true no matter what we do, btw.

Edited by Arvid

I could at most see something in the shop that could be bought to 'reserve' a small area you want to deed but can't at that moment due to buildings etc, in such a way that IF it becomes free and clear you will be the one who can go claim it (for a selected, shortish time of course - lets say 'day the land is clear plus 2 weeks' for instance). This is a slow game, everything takes time, and likewise decay of things should take the time meant for them to decay. (Maybe shop should sell 'portion of patience' too ;) ).

Of course there allready is the option to deed next to it and put peri over it also (though granted that isn't always technically possible, the open area can be too small for instance - so for those times this 'reserve-for-me'-stake, for that tile and some tiles around it, could serve).

Reservation should somehow only be eligible for the sake of then deeding it though, either putting down a new deed or enlarging an existing deed over it (could perhaps be done by making any actions on those tiles impossible until either deeded or reservation relapses.)

Edited by Kianga