Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Log Cabin and New Roof Type

I know I have seen this suggestion before, so I certainly will not take credit for the idea, it is an old idea as it is. I think there should be something a bit easier for a new player to build, easier that is than building something that requires iron/clay or high skills, as well something the older players may enjoy.

I present the pioneer home.

230xNxgreen-roof-design2.JPG.pagespeed.i

Now this would be a building option using logs from trees, or perhaps a log bigger than a regular log created from a felled tree. I suggest calling this a hewn log (should be larger than a regular log, so maybe make these 48kg?), hewn from a felled tree with a ax and wood cutting skill. Log homes are essentially logs piled one on top of the other with clay or mud/grass used for chinking the gaps between the logs. 

Wall list suggestion:

11 hewn logs

10 clay or 10 dirt/grass (maybe have 2 wall types, one with lighter chinking colors)

Sod Roof 

5 Sod

10 Shafts

Sod

1 grass tile dug yields 1-3 sod's (gardening skill)

- sod can be same as peat for bulk, and can be planted to create grass

• Like 1

-1 to sod roof (technically speaking sod soaks up water and would be a leaky roof which just doesn't make for logic sense lol)

-1 to hewn logs (regular logs would work just fine, in my opinion, as many things in this game use small objects to create large textures without concern for super realism)

+1 to log cabin

Let me educate you, (you naysayer) on sod roofs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod_roof as for leaky roofs there does not exist in wurm a roof that stops the rain or snow as it is.

Regular logs would be too small for constructing the log building walls. Also just using regular logs for construction simplify things too much.

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Let me educate you, (you naysayer) on sod roofs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod_roof as for leaky roofs there does not exist in wurm a roof that stops the rain or snow as it is.

Regular logs would be too small for constructing the log building walls. Also just using regular logs for construction simplify things too much.

Regular logs would be the perfect size. lol  Remember, each wall tile is only 1 tile wide, not several tiles, and the log model itself takes up that amount of space, so just graphically speaking its the perfect size.  Booyah. lol 

Oh and let me clarify; I realize that nothing stops rain or snow from entering your house in Wurm, HOWEVER, realistically a sod roof would soak up a lot of water and become moldy and allow water through.  That's what I was saying. lol  Basically a sod roof sucks the mostest.

Edited by Slickshot

It is a game slick, I don't think anyone in wurm has to worry about soggy roofs, sod is a viable means of roofing and has been for centuries and still used today, in fact a sod roof built right will outlast a thatch roof any day.

Using 'just' logs not hewn would not build a very uniform wall, a log needs to be shaped to fit in each row, so simply using a 'log' would not suffice.

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

It is a game slick, I don't think anyone in wurm has to worry about soggy roofs, sod is a viable means of roofing and has been for centuries and still used today, in fact a sod roof built right will outlast a thatch roof any day.

Using 'just' logs not hewn would not build a very uniform wall, a log needs to be shaped to fit in each row, so simply using a 'log' would not suffice.

You're not quite using the right word there.  At least not the specific word needed.  "Hewn" implies being cut or chopped, while "planed" is more specific to what you're describing.  A planing tool helps to trim or smooth out the surface of a piece of wood to make it flat by pulling or grinding the tool along the grain of the wood.  Sorry, semantics.

Edited by Slickshot

11 hours ago, Slickshot said:

You're not quite using the right word there.  At least not the specific word needed.  "Hewn" implies being cut or chopped, while "planed" is more specific to what you're describing.  A planing tool helps to trim or smooth out the surface of a piece of wood to make it flat by pulling or grinding the tool along the grain of the wood.  Sorry, semantics.

I can't help your lack of knowledge, maybe try google or finish school.

You are doing nothing more than trolling my thread now, go away.

21 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I can't help your lack of knowledge, maybe try google or finish school.

You are doing nothing more than trolling my thread now, go away.

Lack of knowledge?  Planing is the correct term, look it up on "Google" if you don't believe me.  Trolling?  Aren't we still on the topic of what type of logs to use for a log cabin?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewing

In woodworking hewing is the process of converting a log from its rounded natural form into lumber (timber) with more or less flat surfaces using primarily an axe. It is an ancient method still used occasionally to square up beams for timber framing.

Plane:  A carpenter's tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing and leveling wood.

I think material specifics should be something like 5-10 logs and 15-20 moss.

Edited by Slickshot

Well a plane is not used very much in log home building, traditional tools for shaping logs are draw knives and adze's. But you would know that if you spent some time looking it up.

The finished walls of a log house in wurm would be more than a tile long typically, and hence the requirement for a 'larger' log to be used in the construction, these are idea's and your constant trolling is not contributing to the idea of a new wall type or roof type.

Moss would be great, but a typical player starting out will have even less luck finding moss than clay.

My ideas aren't contributing?  I suggested moss (more realistic resource for log cabins than mud and grass) and made a material requirement suggestion.  You're being extremely aggressive just because I didn't agree with your initial idea.

The original intent would be something that newer players can easily build without hard to find materials, but you go ahead and suggest moss anyways. Don't know what server you play on, but that one is not easily obtainable.

Then you continue to talk about soggy roofs and using just regular logs, soggy roofs have no bearing on this and actually are not a factor on an actual sod roof.

That hardly contributes anything to the idea.

You sir are trolling, and is one of the reasons I don't bother reading your silly interviews, its like a kid interviewing a sports star.