Sign in to follow this  
Zencro

Chat mutes - question/observation

I've noticed that when you get muted it says this :

[14:49:45] You have been muted by *name removed* for 1 hours and cannot shout anymore. Reason: Gonna let you stop yourself before i drag your corspe across the server

now , what I would like to emphasise is this part of the mute message... : and cannot shout anymore.

Now I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it's intended , but not only can I not shout , but I can not PM nor can I speak in Local. Just making an observation.

meaning you can not open kingdom chat. you type/shout int  chat box and it opens kingdom chat

meaning you can not open kingdom chat. you type/shout int  chat box and it opens kingdom chat

I got muted because of freedom chat , and the problem lies in the fact that it's not only freedom chat that has me muted , ALL chat channels have me muted , be it PM or Local , meaning I can't speak at all to anybody for the duration of the mute , which in turn makes the game unplayable , because let's be honnest for a second, if you have the capability of staring at a timer for one hour without doing anything else you are blessed with amazing focus , but for the rest of us it would drive us insane.

Also , there is no indication to other players that I was muted... And I was discussing something rather important with someone else when this happened and he had no idea until I told him one hour later. (he kept talking to me for several minutes before he though I logged off)

Easy solution: Don't do stuff that will get you muted. If you were muted, it was for good reason, therefore it's your own fault

Easy solution: Don't do stuff that will get you muted. If you were muted, it was for good reason, therefore it's your own fault

The question was not whether or not I got muted , but what happened after I did get muted. Do not try and pull a red herring on this topic please,  thank you.

You're not the first to complain about that and quite frankly, you won't be able to change that with your thread. It's been said numerous times already that the powers-to-be don't intend to change that (which I'm grateful for).

Being muted has to hurt, otherwise people won't understand that there's rules and that you gotta follow those rules. Sorry for you, but next time try to avoid certain topics in the global channels ;)

Being muted has to hurt, otherwise people won't understand that there's rules and that you gotta follow those rules. Sorry for you, but next time try to avoid certain topics in the global channels ;)

Understandable , but it won't provide the wanted effect... now instead of just not speaking a lot in the freedom chat , me (and a few other people that have talked about it) are completely boycotting it , and I'm playing on the chaos server,  so if you think about it , already that there's nobody chatting on there,  now it will be even more lifeless and boring , never mind the fact that new players will think it's deserted and everyone is just afk.

The wanted effect is to keep people who do muteworthy things out of Kchat and stop them offending people, pretty sure mutes do that rather well. IMO I think mutes should be absolute even stopping village chat being used.

Yes , mutes keep people out of kchat , but the issue is that they keep people out of every other chat as well , not only kchat.

its very simple ABIDE BY THE CHAT RULES

Not to be rude or anything , but that's just deflecting the issue , and as I've mentioned in the game (and as many people have agreed with me over PM) , the chat rules are far too vague and the GM's/CA's tend to wing it when it comes to interpreting those rules(meaning they don't judge everyone the same way).

THe only letup I can see would be to give players 60 seconds of speech after they're initially muted, only in village local and pm though - so that they can announce their punishment to people who might just think they're being rude. Deliberate irony x)

THe only letup I can see would be to give players 60 seconds of speech after they're initially muted, only in village local and pm though - so that they can announce their punishment to people who might just think they're being rude. Deliberate irony x)

Serverwide message in Event saying "X has been muted for 1 hour"

Totally agree , or at least some kind of automated message whenever someone tries to PM you that says you are muted for X minutes and can not talk.  But chat in local should not be muted unless specified , because that just ruins it for not only you , but other people you may encounter.

Serverwide message in Event saying "X has been muted for 1 hour"

You had time to write that before I did , but the server wide would get annoying , only show the message to someone who is trying to PM a muted player.

Not to be rude or anything , but that's just deflecting the issue , and as I've mentioned in the game (and as many people have agreed with me over PM) , the chat rules are far too vague and the GM's/CA's tend to wing it when it comes to interpreting those rules(meaning they don't judge everyone the same way).

Then I do wonder why there's so many people who managed to not get muted or even warned in years using the chat. And I doubt it's because of CAs or GMs liking them.

Though, I guess the idea about auto-answering PMs and perhaps adding a note to village/alliance chat that player a has been muted, might be a good idea.

You would be surprised as to the favoritism that the moderators have in game.

The mods? No.

The CA's? Of course, they are normal people. They still enforce rules though.

The mods? No.

The CA's? Of course, they are normal people. They still enforce rules though.

They inforce rules , but they don't enforce them equaly... Let me give you an example shall I? these are pulled from actual logs of the game.

[14:36:13] <Gaustyrr> christ man why do you have to be so damned annoying?

[14:36:13] <Snakegal> if you have a problem with it contact a head GM

[14:36:20] <Zencro> i could so badly give you an amazing example to that , but then i would get permabanned

[14:36:20] <Gaustyrr> shut the hell up already

Now that broke a few rules , since I find someone telling me to my face "shut the hell up already" an insult. What did that person get? Nothing , not even a warning.

whereas this...

[14:45:38] <Horton> a wise man once said - be careful who you poke in the eye

[14:45:44] <Snakegal> no need for trickery just follow the rules O.o

[14:45:57] <Corvand> thats why you poke both eyes Horton.

[14:46:30] <Birdwatcher> I agree. Then it comes to another issue what rules to 1 admin are to another is diffrent.

[14:46:31] <Corvand> then is admin fun you just cant see

[14:47:01] <Snakegal> there's written chat rules

[14:47:02] <Zencro> horton , don't take this as insulting , but since you brought on quotes... "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter"

[14:47:20] <Corvand> O boy here we go again..

[14:47:24] <Corvand> *walks out*

[14:47:24] <Zencro> i'm just sayin

[14:47:26] <Marchesa> who says you have freedom of speech in a game?

[14:47:26] <Zencro> lol

[14:47:44] <Marchesa> you agreed to the rules when you logged in

[14:47:51] <Marchesa> simples

[14:47:54] <Birdwatcher> I agree snake actually not trying to disagree just bringing up some things since they are adding alot to the game some of that stuff might help alot.

[14:48:13] <Snakegal> most stuff are based off it at least

[14:48:32] <Horton> Im about to pray to Who to clense this land of unbelievers

[14:48:32] <Horton> Im about to pray to Who to clense this land of unbelievers : by this he meant mute me , guess we now all know who was the person in the initial post.

Now do you understand what I mean by the CA's are bias?

PS: if anybody has any doubt ,I can send you my full log.

PPS: not trying to bash Horton , out of all the CA's/GM's (that I've met) he was the most rational one.

If you have a problem with the actions of staff, you're supposed to take that up with Oracle, the head GM.

It's not the actions of a single staff member that I have problems with , it's human nature to favor someone , and since none of the staff are paid and are all in fact normal players they will all make relationships in game , and no matter how hard they try and deny it they will favor their friends rather than random people. So telling Oracle about it will not change anything and I'm sure he has much better things to do.

And now to stop derailing this post , yes I do have problems with how the staff handle situations , but that's for another post and another time , this post was about how the mute function is flawed.

..., this post was about how the mute function is flawed.

It works well. Maybe it should have another wording then 'shout', but the system works efficiently regardless of the wording.

Don't challenge moderation in public, or post your logs of it. If you have an issue, please contact a GM.