Rustblade

Shield Mechanics

I have the impression smaller shields attempt more blocks per "round"

In a tiny test I did with a medium wooden shield, I had 8 times "You raise your shield and parry..." within a 27 seconds timeframe, also 3 shield parries happened in the exact same second and then one more parry at the next second.

This short test was done fighting an aged bison on horse at 70fs, using a 79QL medium wooden shield with 9 shields skill, 18 w.m.shield skill and focus level 3.

I can't remember so many shield block/parries with my more skilled up large shield.

Those that know the exact mechanics or have similar information, spill the beans :) 

• Like 1

I'm training small shield also on this suspicion. Glad it looks like I'm not going crazy..

From what I know, smaller shields have less delay after each block but at the same time cover a smaller angle in front of you and deal less bashing damage. 

Also have to consider how much coverage you get from arrows, which is the primary use for shields, especially in pvp.

Granted I would love to see some ranged attacks in pve. Rift casters help mix things up.

5 hours ago, Karrde said:

Also have to consider how much coverage you get from arrows, which is the primary use for shields, especially in pvp.

Granted I would love to see some ranged attacks in pve. Rift casters help mix things up.

If I remember right that was planned with goblin archers in the camps, but sadly those are put on the backburner.

• Like 1

all shields get two guaranteed checks per 10 seconds/combat round after that each attack only has a chance to check shield block. more attacks against you = more block checks and bison have lots of attacks iirc. if one gets more checks per combat round it's completely unnoticeable at high skill

• Like 2