Muse

Customized Wurm Logo and Website

I think it is safe to say, that the new Wurm Logo has been met with a 'colourful' response from the existing player base.

Some players have hinted that the old (or new) logo offered them more (or less) incentive to purchase premium and silvers in the shop.

I think a solution to this would be to use a Cookie to store a code representing the player's preferred logo choice (old or new), and use it to customize their website and shop experience each time they visit.

Cookies are already used by the Wurm website and stored on our computers, so it should be simple to use stored data to choose the logo graphic to suit the player.  The cookie could also store player preferences for less (or more) AI graphics, and flowery text.

In the meantime, the maple leaves have been removed from the old logo and made into delightful free necklaces to hang around our necks - be sure to pick yours up in game now! :) 

I think that misses the point.

The whole thing about the website isn't just about what we personally want to see, it's about how Wurm is presented to the world, and what that says about the people that make the decisions on how the game proceeds. Being able to change it for just ourselves does not change the larger problem.

To give a silly example: suppose we have a favorite restaurant, and they decide to start adding literal dog ###### to recipes. But they give you the option to register just how much dog ###### you want in the stuff they cook for you.

That does not solve the issue. I don't want the restaurant to serve dog ###### *at all*. I don't want dog ###### in the kitchen, or in the place I eat, even if it's not actually in my own food. And I don't want my favorite restaurant to become known as the place where they cook with dog ######. Plus, I have a lot of questions about the management that decided that offering dog ###### as an option was a sensible idea to begin with.

As much as I prefer the old logo. The way I see it with branding is that times change, some things move forward, and other things get left behind.

Going back for special events/promotions is one thing, but in my opinion brand consistancy is key and the logo should be consistant across the board.

On that note I'm still curious why the old logo is on the forums and in game in places.

I've not seen a website offer a way to change their own logo's before for their userbase online.  Also cookies would not be a good way to do it anyway since not everyone accepts cookies or wants cookies on their machine (As per the cookie pop up box that comes up offering you that option)

I've normally seen users create either add ons for internet browsers to revert back websites to a older state graphically or provide mirror websites that host a old version of the website with fixed links so that everything works correctly. 

If users want that experience then it is up to them to provide it and not the company. It is also best for it to work only locally on the users machine too, to try and avoid shut down from the company.

Edited by Zexos