Sign in to follow this  
Hailiah

A Guide to Archaeology Fragments

There is a lot of data, I will put it in spoiler sections.

Note, these are fragments found doing normal archaeology and not from the Magranon Fissure Holy Site.

Note, I have been doing archaeology for several years and it has been tweaked and fixed several times.

Current skill Archaeology 99.2 and Restoration 95.

Statue Fragments

e71nqBA.jpg

Notes

Moonmetal fragments only come from caches.

I suspect that drake and lava fiend fragments can also have a chance to be moonmetal via caches.

I suspect that all the statuette type fragments can have a chance to be moonmetal via caches.

Statuette fragments that are alloy and moonmetal are only from caches.

Tich marble statue fragments have been discontinued and turned into metal (however there is a known bug with this)

Metal Fragments - Lumps

oTphcIg.jpg

Metal Fragments - Heads and Blades

17okwsd.jpg

Notes

I have had moonmetal head and blade fragments very rarely (a long time ago) from caches and I guess that's possible with alloy versions.

Usually anything with the unidentified metal fragment tag in a cache is either a small or large shield.

Metal Fragments - Others

wxk6UHD.jpg

Notes

I have had a large shield fragment in moonmetal from a cache and I guess that alloy ones are possible.

Armour Fragments

SgPcMgh.jpg

Notes

Normal metal and alloy armour fragments can come both from the ground and caches, however I haven't personally found any armour in moonmetal from a cache.

Tool Fragments

sYLS87W.jpg

Notes

You get metal and alloy tool fragments from the ground and metal tool fragments from caches (but I have not had alloy or moonmetal ones from caches)

I have included both types of crude shovel fragments, the old type some players still have and it is probably still possible to find them in dumped fragment piles.

The new type are however the only ones found by actually doing archaeology.

Container Fragments

VoBV1TX.jpg

Notes

Normally from the ground but, I have had a container fragment in a cache a long time ago.

Unidentified Fragments

These fragments are slightly different they stay as unidentified fragments for both stages of cleaning, chisel and metal brush.

Sometimes referred to as junk fragments, but to a new player they can be useful in providing higher quality shards and ores that they may not be able to mine and or find.

They are also more commonly found (and at a higher quality) in areas where there never has been a deed.

KHVFPsW.jpg

Weapon Fragments

I assume that moonmetal weapon fragments are possible, but I have not had any.

WLLAYmS.jpg

Wooden Fragments

kZeK7CQ.jpg

The wooden fragments have been tweaked quite a bit and there are the old 'birchwood' types still out there, but these can be combined with the newer wood types, for a finished item.

Older players will remember arrow shaft fragments, these were changed to plank fragments.

If you search areas that have never had a deed you will also get more of the wooden fragments at higher quality, more often.

Right I think this is finished, if I've missed anything please let me know.

Comments and pictures of your finds are most welcome and will help expand our knowledge :)

Edited by Hailiah
fixing adding
  • Like 4

Addition 

Today I investigated in a new area, with just 1 disbanded deed, the deed had a short inhabitation length (1 year 11 months) and a short disband length (4 years 11 months) so the Caches contained only 10 fragments.

Luckily I managed to get 5 Caches from it, a fairly large deed. Interesting results though compared to areas I normally do with bigger caches.

I stated above that it had been a while since id had container fragments in a cache and as you can see these had both container ones and flowerpot/planter ones.

(Reports over 90ql)

Cache 1, 6 statue 3 armour 1 metal

Cache 2, 3 statue 3 armour 3 metal 1 flowerpot frag !

Cache 3, 3 statue 3 armour 2 metal 2 container ! - (small amphora & measuring jug frags)

Cache 4, 4 statue 2 armour 3 metal 1 container ! - (pie dish frag)

Cache 5, 5 statue 2 armour 2 metal 1 planter frag !

There are 2 other things to note, with larger caches the number of statue fragments is usually 50% or more of the cache, 3 of the caches here are not like that.

I stated above that if a cache has a 'metal' tagged fragment then it was usually a small or large shield fragment, of the 11 metal fragments from the 5 caches only 2 were small shield fragments, the rest were head or blade fragments.

I don't know if this is a recent tweak or just the nature of this disbanded deed, but the data has been added to my spreadsheet :P

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 1

Can confirm that, statuette of axeman in moonmetal exist. (Cache)

XJBcqVQ.jpg

Can confirm, alloy blade and weapon fragments from Caches (Large maul, medium maul, Chisel blade)

• Like 1

Can confirm a steel lump fragment from a cache (10 fragment size) and a moonmetal armour fragment.

XC5A2jZ.jpg

Edited by Hailiah
  • Cat 1

44 minutes ago, Hailiah said:

Can confirm a steel lump fragment from a cache (10 fragment size) and a moonmetal armour fragment.

XC5A2jZ.jpg

So, bug?

@jaytoo

There is maybe something odd going on with caches, but my spreadsheet has only a small amount of data, i am noticing a possible pattern, need more data.

grabs her trowel...

• Like 1