Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

[Resolved] Launcher Freezes

The launcher freezes at 100% graphics download. It actually messes up my whole PC and forces a restart. It only happens during downloads. There are no logs to post as the launcher doesn't make them.

I am as much asking for suggestions as reporting this as a bug. I am considering white listing Wurm in anti-virus and anti-malware, but I'm not getting any indication that's causing it, and never happened before new UI.

Check taskbar to see whether there is a second instance of wurm running in task manager. I assume you know you need to log out any other ingame characters or it cannot update files.

Sometimes you simply have to reboot the computer if there are leftover instances of Wurm that are not exiting gracefully,  but it absolutely should not "freeze up" the entire computer and require a hard restart.  If it is, it could also signal a overheating or hardware problem (ram, storage disk, power supply).  You might also want to run a disk error check to make sure there are not bits and pieces of orphaned files floating around from the hard reset crashes.

I also consider it rather important to have Wurm installed NOT in a system folder (such as Program Files or Users), but instead in a standalone folder such as C:\Wurm\ or D:\games\Wurm.   Windows will sometimes scan, backup and index files in "system folders" and it is possible that is simply adding to the problem. I am not sure why they decided to have the new launcher installer install to "Users" because it is also much more complicated for people to locate them there, or to keep their computer from filling up with gigabytes of files from leftover programs they no longer use. At least in program Files you are a little more likely to notice and housekeep older unused programs.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

This has happened repeatedly. Taskmanager has only 1 copy of wurm, and I am sure only 1 copy is running.

I can't reboot pc. I am forced to do a power off restart. Wurm launcher is the only program running. CPU, GPU and Disk usage are minimal.

Wurm is installed on a different drive. I am also going try a clean reinstall.

A new install has seemed to resolve this issue. After a couple years of patching, was probably needed.