Sign in to follow this  
Febur

[Fixed] [Bug 1480] Hitching animals to a Cart

Whenever I try to hitch a bull/horse to a large cart I get the message: "You can't mount that right now so you can't hitch either."  I tried with different horses, adolescent and aged, and every horse or bull is infact mountable, same with the cart. I even tried different carts, one only 16QL and the other 36QL.

So right now myself and another player cant hitch anything to a large cart. I suppose it might be a problem with the new breeding system.

This, I try doing it on my deed on a cart I made (signature on it) and it wouldn't let me either. Age of animals had also no influence, even locking the cart didn't do anything and I didn't even get a manage window to set permissions for the cart, this looks really bug to me.

Edit: Apparently, making the cart in your inventory bugs it and won't grant you ownership itself of the cart, you have to make it on the floor. Testing this further.

Edit2: To get ownership of the cart, it has to be finish on the floor when you first make it, you can't pick it up at all, because you will bug it and you will not get ownership of the cart, even if you drop it when you make it, and proceed to pick it up and re-drop, you will bug it. Once the cart is actually yours, by having the same message as boats "the name of the owner is etched on the stern" kind of deals, then you can proceed to assigned "rights" for the cart the same way as boats. All this is needed to be able to get the manage window and to be able to hitch the cart and to let villagers, friends and everyone from be able to use such cart, again, the same way boat permissions work. No lock is need it to actually get the manage window once you are the owner of the cart but it's required, just like boats.

This looks more like a remake of how carts are suppose to be working, or an intended "new" feature more than a bug to prevent anyone from just walking on a deed or anywhere and taking such cart by simply hitching animals to it. I believe this is not a bug at all but an oversight on the news section about the fix to how carts actually work. We need to think of a Large Cart now the same way we do about boats. Lock it at all times and set permissions accordingly.

Ok, but with all the bugged and unowned large carts around, can we get some kind of deed permission to take ownership of them or something?

Ok, but with all the bugged and unowned large carts around, can we get some kind of deed permission to take ownership of them or something?

More likely to be a no on that one, because that will defeat the purpose of this (dragged a cart I found to me deed and proceed to claim it even if it is not mine kind of deals). Just do like I did and dragged all the "I can use this anymore" carts to a cave or fence area and let them decay, as you can't bashed them either. Or find a lava tile and dragged them there to get ride of them, and make yourself a new cart.

Yeah... you can still hitch animals to large carts, it just has to be your cart or one with the right permissions.

What bugs me however is that you can still embark on a cart as driver even if you don't have permission.

IMHO this whole change was poorly done:

• No notice was given that this change was coming
  • Nothing was mentioned in the update notes about this change
  • Even the CAs didn't know this change was coming or how it was supposed to work.
  • The change was poorly thought out prior to implementation.

A game world where you have to explore the world to discover new things and figure out the mystery of the game world is interesting.  However a game mechanic with randomly introduced changes without notice or explanation is not enjoyable.

I logged in today planning to complete several tasks, for which I needed use of a large cart.  We originally started out as a single village, and now most of my former villagers have created their own deeds, and we're all allied and play together.  Some of the villagers have made carts, some have not.  We've also inherited a few - some from a friend who left the game and his deed in our care, and some that were clearly abandoned.  None of the carts are locked, and that's not a problem for us - we keep them on deed behind locked gate.  Nobody "owns" a cart - some deeds have a cart assigned there, and anybody doing work at that deed can use the cart - until today.

The best information I can obtain is that in order to get the functionality we had before with shared carts, we now have to *carefully* build a large cart for every villager for every deed they might visit and want to hitch a cart?  You've got to be kidding me!  I login today and and this is what I'm faced with before I can do the stuff I wanted to get done today (Yeah, I know "Welcome to Wurm!").

It seems this change is being implemented to make large cart usage/ownership similar to boats.  (Of course we don't know that because there is no official information on the change).  But if that's the case, why is it not implemented the same as boats:  "Without an attached boat lock anyone can use the ship"?  So if you don't want the cart shared, you slap a lock on it (and no open, embark, or hitch). If you don't want the cart moved, then "moor" it just like a boat (think chained to a fence or a tree).

Had there been notice of this change, maybe some of these problems could have been predicted and avoided.  Had there been mention in the update notes, at least we'd have some idea of what was intended.  If the CAs had been informed, they could have clarified what was intended and given some idea if it's working as intended or bugged.  Instead we're left fighting amongst ourselves as to whether it's working right and what to do to fix it.

I'm sorry to go off about this.  But it's not been a good few days for large carts:

I'm not against change, but it seems that changes in Wurm are not being managed well.  Let's do better on future changes please!

It's just a bug. Intention was to disallow hitching animals to carts you cannot unhitch them from.

The best information I can obtain is that in order to get the functionality we had before with shared carts, we now have to *carefully* build a large cart for every villager for every deed they might visit and want to hitch a cart?  You've got to be kidding me!  I login today and and this is what I'm faced with before I can do the stuff I wanted to get done today (Yeah, I know "Welcome to Wurm!").

Did you even read what I posted above you? You don't have to make a cart per person, the owner has to set permissions just like a boat, that's all. Any carts that are not yours, get ride of them as there are not yours to begging with and make a new one, set the permissions and you will set.

Wow, that's jumping to conclusions.  Perhaps you didn't consider that they might be bugged as discussed in your next paragraph?  And what about carts given to me?  Aren't those considered mine?  I was responding to the situation in general, not to your specific post, which I made clear if you read what I posted!  Not to mention I probably had already posted during your various edits to the original post...

However you accented my final pointI(s) from my post quite nicely:

Instead we're left fighting amongst ourselves as to whether it's working right and what to do to fix it.

I'm not against change, but it seems that changes in Wurm are not being managed well.  Let's do better on future changes please!

I'm not fighting against anyone, people tend to do that to themselves thinking they are always right. If the cart does not say "The name of the owner Maximilus, has been etched on the stern" then that cart is not mine, was never mine and will never be mine, no way around it, even if my 30 year friend, that plays with me gave it to me, he should had "transfer" the ownership to make it mine. And this is not knowing it all, it's just common sense.

Wurm had never "publicly" advertise any change, how it works or anything for that matter in years, since the game was created, what makes you think this will change overnight? For all we know, the change is not even a bug at all and it was what rolf intended. Did you notice that Manny (which is one of the best people when it comes to this sort of thing) did said it was a bug but the tile wasn't change to reflect that (meaning it was not really assign a bug case number) maybe because it could and it could not be a bug? Only rolf will know that.

I have the same situation.  It is a cart that is owned by someone else, on a deed that I have full access on.  Can mount and ride horse and cart, but can't hitch.  I can also access the inventory of the cart and drag it.  The horse I have full access to, including changing permissions.  Still can't hitch.  Guess I could try building a new cart, but this is an awful lot of extra work when my village already has carts available, assuming this is how it's intended instead of just a bug.

I have the same situation.  It is a cart that is owned by someone else, on a deed that I have full access on.  Can mount and ride horse and cart, but can't hitch.  I can also access the inventory of the cart and drag it.  The horse I have full access to, including changing permissions.  Still can't hitch.  Guess I could try building a new cart, but this is an awful lot of extra work when my village already has carts available, assuming this is how it's intended instead of just a bug.

Any carts that you guys have atm, better off pile them on a corner to rot and just make a new one that you can manage and use instead of sitting to wait for an answer.

Well it turns out my situation is worse than I imagined.  One of my "nameless" (bugged) carts has my complete sailboat in it (less sail).  Now, thanks to this change, I can't move the cart to water to launch the sailboat (my deed is far from water).  The boat is too heavy to be picked up, the cart it is in is too heavy to drag, this change won't let me hitch the cart, and since the cart has no owner, it looks like it is stuck on my deed in that same spot until the cart decays and the sailboat pops out on the ground...

EDIT:  Seems this is fixed in today's update.