Sign in to follow this  
Skyhawk

Serious heat issue with wurm

Are there some instrution sets or something in the wurm background that make AMD's work harder or something? Running Wurm with minimum settings and my antimalware stuff shut off heats my processor to 59C in less than 5 minutes. Running Dawn of War vs 7 computer opponents and all the AV and such over 30 min has the occasional spike to 52C but levels out at about 50C. What's going on?

The game is more processor intensive then graphics (for some reason, since most calculations should be done on the server). Wurm has always heated the CPU more then normal games do.

I never had a heat problem with my old processor. I upgrade and it heats more?  :o

BTW, speedfan was also reporting that at the most, only 25% of each core was being used.

Might this have something to do with the "fix" back in beta where folks with better computers could walk faster?

Yes, wurm runs insanely hot for no reason.

Well I don't know about processor heat, actually. My video card gets extremely hot, though.

heh, my graphic card goes up from 50 C to 90 C (yeah I know, that might not be healthy) and my CPU from 35 C to 55 C while playing Wurm. I don't see it as a problem though. Some games do heat up the hardware components a lot, not just Wurm.

Initially, I thought it was my video card that was causing my system to shut down. I looked up the specs for the card at the manufacturer's site and it said that it was -designed- to run hot.

The specs from the AMD site list the max temp for the x2 dual core 6000+ as 55-63C. Wurm causes my core to hit 59C in less than 5 min

Fact: heat kills electronics. The hotter it runs, the shorter the lifespan.

It's not that Wurm runs the CPU hot, it's that it runs the cpu MUCH hotter than everything else.

It's an issue that the devs should look into.

there is no issue, wurm just uses more than most programs i know(including crysis), i fixed it by installing extra cooling...

I have a pretty big Thermaltake on the thing already. When I exit Wurm, it pulls it down to 33C in seconds.

Stika, are you running a dual or quad core system?

A little bit of Googleness suggests that Java has some "issues" with multicores and threading. Apparently, if certian code is not enabled, a multicore has to work harder to do the same job as a single.

http://mlee888.wordpress.com/2006/03/31/java-performance-in-dual-coremultiprocessor-environment/

The guy in the above link also seems to think that Sun's Java has trouble dealing with threading, too.

im using a very tweaked out AMD 4500xp system,

i dare sare my new system will be e8500 or better, but only after the issues are adressed...

the overheating in wurm is a sympton of a much bigger problem, thats what i like about the program. its a great application to do heating benchmarks with. i can count on it to make my video card and cpu work, and work hard. if you think your cpu is hot, you should monitor your video card. mine was playing up bigtime until i installed a pci slot fan in it.

i also have the thermaltake tai chi case, it is a brilliant case for dispersing heat, even without the watercooling the aluminium fins all over the case increase cooling out of sight. so much so that with all other applications except wurm, heating was never an issue.

i live in the tropics too, so heat definately plays a part in equipment faliure here, its one of my main parameters when building a unit.

There is nothing in Wurm that makes your CPU or GPU run hotter than any other application that uses a lot of CPU and graphics.  Try looking at Crysis and 3DMark if you really want to stress your CPU and GPU.

Skyhawk, your link was from 2006. The Sun JVM multithreads very well. There are many documented examples of Sun JVMs running hundreds of Java Threads. Even so, just like many current games and applications, most of the Wurm client's work is done in a single Thread. We are working on improving this.

Indeed, I am running both quad core and 8 core (2 quad core processors)

Wurm seems to snuggle down into that processor pool very comfortably.

There is nothing in Wurm that makes your CPU or GPU run hotter than any other application that uses a lot of CPU and graphics.  Try looking at Crysis and 3DMark if you really want to stress your CPU and GPU.

Skyhawk, your link was from 2006. The Sun JVM multithreads very well. There are many documented examples of Sun JVMs running hundreds of Java Threads. Even so, just like many current games and applications, most of the Wurm client's work is done in a single Thread. We are working on improving this.

lol i have played crysis, trust me with my AMD 4500 crysis didn't run as hot as wurm does. and my heat issue was in the video, once i adressed that, i had no more issues. But then i'm not complaining either, i tend to like programs that make my systems work.

and gurubear, what programs actually utilise the quad and dual,quads these days? i find that if something isn't needed it tends to be ignored... like the extra wattage in a psu, its there if you need it but is rarely used. so i wonder if this is the case with cpu's.

Rendering/video-editing takes advantage of it usually. There are other applications too :) Personally I'm waiting for the octo-core Nehalems >:]

Ok, let my try dialing the question back. Why does wurm run hotter on a dual core 6000+ than a single 2000+?

It's nice to say that, yeah. But it's simply not true, Wurm runs far hotter than any application I've ever compared it with (TF2, Black and White 2, Battlefield 2, and other things without 2's in their names that I can't think of) and it's absurd.

Wurm runs toasty warm on my computer, but seriously I would not worry about it until you start to get problems like these... :o

wurmhotgraphicsvn2.jpg

Fix your computer seriously. They actually do require maintenance which people seem to neglect and just blame the computer manufacture or the program that causes the problems. I clean my computer every 2 months and always update the software and clear out the old software i don't need. There are a number of simple things that you can do to improve your computers speed and make it last longer.   

Fix your computer seriously. They actually do require maintenance which people seem to neglect and just blame the computer manufacture or the program that causes the problems. I clean my computer every 2 months and always update the software and clear out the old software i don't need. There are a number of simple things that you can do to improve your computers speed and make it last longer.   

Then stop assuming that all posters are incompetent bastards who do not maintain their computers. I clean mine regulary, I play a lot of other (new) games and Wurm is extremely demanding in terms of heating. As I said previously, my graphic card hits 95*C while playing wurm and doesn't even come close in any other game or application. It's not normal.

I teach, among other things, computer technology and an A+ prep class. I think I know a wee bit about computers.

I have a monster ThermalTake HS on the processor and using high end HS compound (applied correctly, thank you). I know it's not a HS issue by the way the temp quickly cools down (in seconds) to ambient once I exit Wurm.

Why then is it not obvious to you why wurm is more CPU demanding if you are so good with computers? No other game has a player world which is equally structured that I have seen and is not processor intensive. Just because it is more of a strain on your computer does not mean there is a problem with it. Most people on this forum are to quick to blame the wurm client for the problems when it does not run correctly and in nearly all cases the problem is fault in another piece of software and the hardware. About the heat problem get another fan they cost next to nothing.

Why then is it not obvious to you why wurm is more CPU demanding if you are so good with computers? No other game has a player world which is equally structured that I have seen and is not processor intensive.

Dawn of War and C&C take at least twice as much processor vs a single opponent than Wurm, it is not more CPU demanding. Wurm doesn't seem to have much in it that requires a lot of the cpu on the client side, otherwise we would see a lot more exploits. You have an interface, some 3d sound... The combat, local, chat, crafting, etc is probably all handled server side.

Just because it is more of a strain on your computer does not mean there is a problem with it.

Running my processor hot is one thing, but if you read back, I am asking / wondering why it makes a better processor work harder. If the new engine in your car has more horsepower than the older, it should be easier to go up the same hill.

wurmhotlolz.png

About two minutes after I quit wurm. It ended up being at 65c, but I got impatient and I want to go to bed.

There is a problem here. The fluctuations you see in the beginning are me playing with the windows in the game, minimizing the event window and chat window to see if that has any effect(it does) and also having it so that it doesn't have the render wurm(minimize it, I play it windowed). Both of these things made the heat sink considerably considering that I only tested each of them for a minute each.