Brian

Wurm Map Generator FX

On 10/25/2022 at 12:54 AM, Brian said:

Do you mean that you stop working on it, close the program, and try to pick up where you left off?

Do you see the word "PREVIOUS" in the upper left-hand corner of your maps? If so, you're looking at the image you created last time. You will need to have saved the actions you took to create the maps in order to read everything back into memory, then load those actions when you open the project. If a height map exists, it will be loaded when you open a project, but all the other features must be loaded after the project is opened.

I generally save each major group of topological features in a separate actions file, so that I can go back and change them without disturbing the others. For example, I might have these action files:

dirt.xml

beaches.xml

trees.xml

resources.xml

...etc...

After I open the project, I would then load all those action files, if I want it the way I had last saved them. Be aware that changing the order may cause some differences, since some biome types may overwrite others. For example, clay will overwrite sand.

I suppose you could create everything and then save all the actions in one file, but that makes it difficult to make small changes later.

This program is not compatible with the old actions format.

I should probably go back and update the documentation to clarify a few things, as people encounter issues.

Apologies for not seeing this response a year ago lol, only have it now because I'm encountering it again. The way this application organizes your maps as projects makes it feel like you can close it and come back to it later. Would it be possible to automatically save this actions file when you save the project? I don't think anyone who isn't already familiar with this setup (namely people who've had the work they've done on a map lost because of it) would expect it to work this way.

Also, can anyone enlighten me as to why this is happening? I just want to paint a river and every time I try it opens up an entire gulf. All I did was draw a single straight line in the paint mode.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by HatTrickPatrick

On 10/1/2023 at 8:34 PM, HatTrickPatrick said:

Apologies for not seeing this response a year ago lol, only have it now because I'm encountering it again. The way this application organizes your maps as projects makes it feel like you can close it and come back to it later. Would it be possible to automatically save this actions file when you save the project? I don't think anyone who isn't already familiar with this setup (namely people who've had the work they've done on a map lost because of it) would expect it to work this way.

That would be a nice feature, I agree, but at this point in time at least, I don't have the bandwidth to put into it; it would be a big job.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, HatTrickPatrick said:

Also, can anyone enlighten me as to why this is happening? I just want to paint a river and every time I try it opens up an entire gulf. All I did was draw a single straight line in the paint mode.

1.png

2.png

3.png

It's probably your river slope. If the area is fairly low in height, a gradual slope of 4 would spread it out quite a bit. Try a much higher value.

I'm not sure if you still pay attention to this, or if anyone does, but I can't get the installer for the launcher to work? I follow the instructions for the Java Launcher exactly, but then before it finishes installing, it pops up an error message that reads "The application could not be launched: Cannot find/execute RUN script." with a close button. I don't get the 'You can try again' box shown under troubleshooting. 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:15 PM, Schilihika said:

I'm not sure if you still pay attention to this, or if anyone does, but I can't get the installer for the launcher to work? I follow the instructions for the Java Launcher exactly, but then before it finishes installing, it pops up an error message that reads "The application could not be launched: Cannot find/execute RUN script." with a close button. I don't get the 'You can try again' box shown under troubleshooting. 

Here are some of the reasons you may see this:

1. Did you extract the zip file to a folder and run it from that folder? If you try to run it directly from the zip file, the program won't be able to find its components.
2. Did it start up and check for updates, to download the latest version? There should be a launcherbak folder beneath your LauncherApps folder if it got that far.
3. Can you see the run.bat file in your LauncherApps/launcher/bin folder?