Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Q re: Genesis on horses

Sometimes I'll see a horse auction where the buyer puts in bold that Genesis was never used on the horse. In fact, I see this a lot.

Why would this matter? Are they just proud to have a "natural" good horse, or does Genisis cast on a horse have any future impact on its breeding status (ie, a "silent trait" that doesn't affect the parent but can still be passed down?)

Genesis removes the text for some traits, but not the negative effects.  The most evident one is "some illness" which could prevent a horse that seems perfect from pulling a cart, or possibly even being ridden.  Now, with the changes to how traits are passed on, there is a question of whether Genesis will actually stop the bad traits it removes from being passed on.  In the past, due to the random way traits were assigned, Genesis didn't really guarantee removal of a bad trait from the gene pool.  So, folks are just trying to share as much info as they can with buyers.

Most people say that not because they want to e-peen a good horse at all but because Genesis it's kind of "broken" in the sense that it does remove the trait name but apparently not the effects. Would you be mad if I sell you an 8 trait speed horse for 10-15s and then you can't ride because illness was there but removed by Genesis but I never told you? That the only reason people like me add that piece of info to he sales.

Thanks so much to both of you!

So if I am a beginning breeder, would that not mean I should always, under all circumstances, always avoid using Genesis on any of my animals? At least as long as its results continue to be somewhat suspect? Or are there exceptions to that?

Thanks so much to both of you!

So if I am a beginning breeder, would that not mean I should always, under all circumstances, always avoid using Genesis on any of my animals? At least as long as its results continue to be somewhat suspect? Or are there exceptions to that?