Sign in to follow this  
kiatio

Much Needed Updates

Ok guys frist of all i love the game of Wurm online, even being a new player not even a week of game time, tho i have noticed a big lack of content that would help out alot, with this game being 20 years old im really surprised that they have not done it yet, and its as follows,

1. Bugs- ive noticed wurm still has alot of bug's when it comes to game play, 

- work out all past bugs and codding errors

2. content

- Spawn's the spawn's really need a change, the worlds as a whole is rather empty when it comes to wild life that you would expect to see, both domestic and wild, 

-  expand on the Npc system  instead of the rare npcs that there is, breath some life into the worlds, add in npcs to fill in road areas, towns and kingdoms, upon this you could add on to the quest system and trade systems, allowing players the chance to sell/buy to traveling npcs for items they dont need or would be hard to find, this could include rare items and new content, 

-  current systems - expand off them.. add content that you see other major titles having that wurm lacks, change the timers, shorten them down were your not waiting 20 minuets to craft one part of a item, this would include making current systems more user friendly, more to the new players, this could include a option for players to choose game plays { easy } with new user friendly system that is { dubbed down till a certain point before getting harder or { advance } for veteran players that would like to keep there current play style and features that they are use to, 

the game as a whole hasnt really changed in 20 years from what ive been able to see and find online, by making these changes and advertising the game more, i believe a bigger player base would come into play, and spend time learning the game, a big turn off is the complexity when Frist joining, alot of players get overwhelmed by this and leave within the frist few hours, 

• Like 2

Hey welcome to the forums! I'm glad you found wurm, and yes, it can be totally overwhelming at the start!

We all absolutely agree on point 1, and that's an ongoing process that I think a lot of work is spent on, the problem is sometimes it's really hard to work out why the bug is happening, or what's going on in the background, it's not a matter of majorly obvious bugs in the code not being fixed, so it's always a priority!

As for your second point, I think the thing to remember in terms of the suggestion of content is a lot of that is by design. 

Games usually don't drastically update and change their original design simply because of trends in the industry. When making a game now you wouldn't include the timer system and the skill system in the way that wurm does, but that doesn't mean wurms system is inherently wrong, or needs fixing. It's a game that has continued to grow and adapt within the same design as when it was introduced, and I'm yet to see more than a handful of games make changes that lead towards that.

For example, we all know about Runescape, and in fact Old School Runescape, which rejected the modern changes the game went through specifically to RETURN to the old design based on player demand, and has proven incredibly popular. The same thing has happened with World of Warcraft with WoW: Classic. The game not meeting modern more casual friendly gamers isn't a failing of the game, it's a feature of the game that it is old school style. 

As for the NPC system, this game has always been a player centric sandbox, much moreso than any other "sandbox" game out there. The changes you're referring to create more of a theme park game with more linear guidance and developer based direction (rather than given a hatchet and a world and told to have at it). To dive more into what a sandbox or theme park is, Josh Strife Hayes did a video on that here:

Some events created had a quest chain that did get positive responses, but I think adding too much of that would ruin the core of what wurm is, and that raises a problem of potentially alienating the existing players without guarantee of new players replacing them, 

Ultimately, there's a lot of work that wurm needs to do in many areas, deepening skills, revamping systems to be more intuitive and engaging, and yes, fixing bugs, but I don't think a major shift of approach or design is the answer. 

All in all, there's a lot of amazing stuff out there in Wurm, but much of it does rely on your ability to set yourself a goal and work towards it, talk with your community about it and see if you can find some goals that get you excited!

• Like 3

you make some vaild points and im not saying complety change the game or is mechanics',  all im saying is give it some life that is lacking,, for example when while you were in the woods you would expect to see wild life, squirrels, rabbits etc all things that players could hunt, harvest etc instead you see a wild animal once in a blue moon, alot less then you would expect, i understand the concept of what wurm is supposed to be, but give it some life, fill in some the areas, im not saying make a complete cavillation of npcs, but fill in some space by having them spawn at certain intervials or locations for a periods of time, thus allowing players to interact, buy/sell trade etc, items, and the timers, you wouldnt have to change them to much just shorten the longest ones down some, allowing for more of a progressing item, for example, would you rather spend 3 minutes creating one part of a forge, or say 1-2 mins and then being able to create a another part, alot of the problem when it comes to new players joining is the complexity of it, when you join your overwhelmed on what to do, yes it there is a tutrorial to help and teach you but at the same time, it dont really explain alot of the mechanics that wurm has and how to do certaint things, all im saying is yes keep the current systems etc just bring some life into the game that its lacking in, i can walk 5 feet into forest in my back yard and see more wild life then ive seen in most of the map, 

• Like 1

yes anything would be good ,even guys that ride the roads and talk a bit npcs and wildlife of old back