Sign in to follow this  
KellyTxX

Dog breeding

ive started breeding dogs and i have a champion dog who i use to breed with when i can (i use him alot =P)

Then a angry and a fierce The fierce is a female while angry being a male

then 5-6 other normal dogs

One of them has the constantly hungry trait =/

a few questions to all of you doggy breeders, can they inherit traits from parents?

Can they inherit being a champion or angry or fierce from there parents?

does what they breed with matter?

And other general breeding tips dog or otherwise =P

I updated the wiki with some more information:

http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animal_husbandry

When breeding a Champion or other characteristic with another will result in a slight chance that the offspring will inherit that characteristic.

Breeding two Champions together will increase that chance dramatically.

Same works for traits as well "Constantly Hungry" for example.

Longer blood lines will support more traits. (For example: A 4th generation dog can have up to 6 or so traits where a 1st generation dog (the first offspring from wild dogs) usually only have 1-3 traits.)

Every time you breed, the offspring has a chance of inheriting its parent’s traits along with other random traits.

If you want to breed out a bad trait just be sure that both parents don't have the trait and eventually the offspring may be born without it.

In other words, if you breed two animals with the "Constantly Hungry" trait together, there is a pretty high chance that the offspring will also have that trait.

If only one of the parents has the trait, the chance is reduced considerably.

At least that's what I've been seeing...

I did a spreadsheet and wrote down the traits of my horses and their parents.

For single parent traits there is no noticable pattern of inheritance. But for two parent traits there is strong support for inheritance. 5 out of 6 two parent traits have been passed down to the foal.

[table][tr][td]Parents with trait[/td][td]Foals with trait[/td][td]Foals without trait[/td][td]Chance[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2[/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][td]83%[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1[/td][td]26[/td][td]47[/td][td]36%[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]0[/td][td]23[/td][td]148[/td][td]13%[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Don't take the chances for granted. the size of the sample is to small to get stable  numbers

I have not done any breeding on dogs since I left JKH, but I do breed cows, horses and unicorns currently. Recently I acquired a female champion unicorn, and decided to try and breed her in hopes of getting another champion unicorn (male perferably so I can breed them together). I bred her with a regular male unicorn. Yesterday I logged on I found that she had given birth to a male chapion unicorn on the first try. :D

Here is a picture:

wurm200911171741.th.jpg

I have currently bred her again in hopes of another champion.

As you can see it is possible to breed a champion animal with a regular animal and they give birth to a champion one. But seeing since I have only bred her twice now and only have results from one I can not tell you what the chances of that happening is. But to be honest, I think I was just lucky that it happened the first time. I don't think this time she will give birth to another champion one, but we will see.

I had a similar situation like Magen, only with greenish dogs.

I had two female and been wanting to breed them to make more greenie pups, so i cought a (wild) normal dog and bred him with the two females.

After weeks of trouble in keeping them both from aborting (their demand in food is great if your not one full of veggies and meat) One gave birth to a male normal pup with some impressive traits, the other gave birth to a greenie male pup :]

I'll soon mate the female green dogs with some ragging dogs see how that works.