Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened_One

Unfinished Eastern Canal - Map Complete

OMG, folks.  I'm busting.  I'm just busting!  Guess what?  The unfinished canal already has both entrances punched through!  Originally I thought only the western entrance was cut open.  But as I explored the tunnel I eventually made it through to the eastern end... where I found an open entrance there too.  Awesome!  The hardest part is already done.

For a little background into this unfinished canal, read my prior posts "Unfinished Eastern Canal - Map 2" and before that "Unfinished Eastern Canal - Map 1" which itself contains a link to the first post in the chain.  This post is the last of this series, though periodic updates will come in the future as the canal's work progresses.

qfpBTAM.jpg

The black rulers mark tiles by 10's (short lines) and 50's (long lines) using the tunnel's western entrance (black square) as tile 0,0.  I ran out of columns in the Excel spreadsheet, so the eastern end of the canal is shown below the rest of the canal.

The black squares are the canal's entrances... one at the west end, and two at the east end (although only one of these is intended for ships).  The eastern entrance has only a few tiles (blue) that are water accessible.  Both entrances are only 1 tile wide.  While the eastern entrance can be widened, the western entrance has been reinforced, so we may need to get a priest to cast a spell on it or call a game master to remove the reinforcements.  Of course, a 1 tile opening is good enough.  But it would be nice to fancy it up a little.

The red squares all throughout the tunnel are iron veins, all locations precisely marked (I counted and re-counted tiles for exact spacing.)  There are also a few sandstone and rocksalt veins here and there, and a tin vein at the eastern entrance (purple square) right next to one of the iron veins.

You'll notice a cavern in the middle with an "F" in the middle.  There are 2 forges there, with some bsb's, a lamp on a post, and even a bed.

Further east almost to the very end of this map at around the 220 tile mark you'll see a very interesting discovery... a source spring! (blue square).  The previous builders built a 1x1 wooden enclosure around the spring, with double doors on the west and east sides of the structure which are unlocked and open to everyone.  The caption when you mouse over it reads, "Future Underground Lighthouse", which I find very interesting.  No doubt intended to shed light for ships sailing through.  There is a 1 tile passageway on either side of the spring's room for ships to pass by.

Near the eastern entrance at around the 270 tile marker is another cavern with a bed, a lamp, a few containers and an altar of Nahjo.

Almost the entire canal's surface is a few slopes above sea level.  But it shouldn't take long to continue that blue waterway in the east so boats and knarrs can start using it.

Over the next few days and weeks I will be working on it periodically.  The first thing I'd like to do is straighten-out the edges to clear out the cave-ins.  As I go I will also reinforce them to prevent further collapses.  Since my settlement is just outside the western entrance, I will start from that end and work my way east.  I will also dig-out the ceiling, but I will leave the floor until last so I can reach the ceiling.  I will likely cut just a single tile below water to get the canal operational, and then widen out the floor over time.

If anyone wants to join in, by all means, it's all right there.  Most of the hard work has already been done.  I tell ya, I'm just busting!

Edited by Enlightened_One

It would be an idea to widen the tunnel around the "Future Underground Lighthouse" building. So that there is more than just a tile that slopes down into the water.

I see what you mean.  Yeah, you're right.  There is something of a "V" shape on either side already, so I guess that means there are 2 tiles on each side in order to get that V.  I just assumed it was 1 without taking a hard look at the configuration.  And 3 tiles would give us a nicer U shape.  Good point.  I'll have to widen it there.

Edited by Enlightened_One