Sign in to follow this  
Enola

Wurm sounds under Kubuntu 10.10

So, I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 and the sound system works very well for me. Only drawback is wurm which seems to block all other applications from accessing sound whenever I start it (which is why I'm currently running it on silent). I guess I somehow have to integrate Wurm/Java into the soundsystem, but I'm not sure how I would go about that.

Anyone got experience with that problem and knows a possible fix for it? It's probably just a tiny setting somewhere but I can't seem to locate it.

Install the package libopenal1:

sudo apt-get install libopenal1

Make a symbolic link named libopenal.so.0 to libopenal.so.1 in /usr/lib (because the wurm client doesn't look for the newer version). It's a bit of a hack but it works. ;)

cd /usr/lib

sudo ln -s libopenal.so.1 libopenal.so.0

Set sound to "Hardware (OpenAL)" in the wurm client.

If you're running the pulseaudio sound server (you should by default, especially if it's a new installation), check that OpenAL is using that one as well. Edit /etc/openal/alsoft.conf

sudo gedit /etc/openal/alsoft.conf

and check that the device section has drivers=pulse set.

## drivers:

#  Sets the backend driver list order, comma-seperated. Unknown backends and

#  duplicated names are ignored, and unlisted backends won't be considered for

#  use. An empty list means the default.

#drivers = alsa,oss,solaris,dsound,winmm,port,pulse,wave

drivers=pulse

That should be all. My installation was upgraded (and modified) a lot of times and don't know how much of this is actually needed.

If you install the package pavucontrol as well you can control all sound application's volume settings individually (and turn down wurm when the crafting around you gets too much).