Sign in to follow this  
Guest gnarus

Archery changes

Archery is useless.  It is near impossible to hit a moving target now.  I think it should be easier much easier.  Everyone who fired a bow at the VH seige has to know what im talking about.  Cannot hit someone unless they stand there (want you to kill them?).  This is the classic rolf over nerf and i hope it is fixed.  No one had even been complaining about archery for a while and then it gets this massive nerf.  Same with the shield nerf.

I know you might think it should be very hard to hit someone who is moving, but think about how hard it would be to hit someone rushing you.  It would be easier and easier, and someone running away is not much harder to hit.  And even if it isnt realistic archers should be able to hit moving taergets, especially at high skills.

I agree, Gnarus, though I would try not to bash Rolf like that, though I understand you're frustrated.  I think shield give a percentage to block vs. arrows based on shield skill but don't take into account how good an archer is.  IOW a 99 skill archer still would only hit a 50 skill shield person very rarely.  ATM you can wear a shield and block almost all arrows standing still with decent skill, or just move around and almost never be hit.  Arrows went through shields into arms, and while moving targets are harder to hit it really should be a skill vs skill check not a %.  Afterall hunters shoot moving targets, as did archers, and didn't have these issues.  Shields blocked too much and still block too much.  Decreasing skill gain didn't solve that, but just made those who had trained it more powerful as people can't catch up to them well.  Standing still with a shield should block a decent number of arrows, but it's too powerful at too low a skill atm.  Archers now can only effectively fight people without shields who don't move.  Faceshots are maybe too powerful, so maybe should have been taken out in melee and archery, and just kept the onld accuracy system and reduce shield effectiveness or make it a check vs weapon or archery skill to block. 

*edit It seems it's easier to hit a person who has a shield on now, just too hard to hit moving players.

I think this could work...

If moving: Harder for the archer to hit, BUT if the arrow "hits" the player that player should have a much harder time blocking it with a shield since he isn't concentrated at it. Reduce the penalty slighty also, like 25%. Should balance itself out I think.

I wasnt bashing rolf we all know how his nerf updates are really extreme when first implemented.  But he usually fixes them after.

I think this could work...

If moving: Harder for the archer to hit, BUT if the arrow "hits" the player that player should have a much harder time blocking it with a shield since he isn't concentrated at it. Reduce the penalty slighty also, like 25%. Should balance itself out I think.

Good reasoning and good idea.

Well, I just started the game about a week ago and tried archery for about 10 mins then gave it up as the most useless skill in the game.  I think I shot 35 arrows at a deer from behind.  Neither of us were moving, and not once did I even hit the thing.  I won't even go into what a pain it is to make those arrows and have all but 1 of them break.  I didn't gain anything in the skill was still 1.00 when I quit,  I'm assuming cuz I didn't hit a damn thing.  I then tried to use archery on a wolf that kept chasing me.  That was useless, I could never possibly get out of range to even take a shot without it reaching me and half killing me before the first arrow went off. Get real who the hell even in real life takes 15 seconds to fire a bow at something that's charging them head on. 

Since new people can't even hit something not moving or facing them, and you can't gain skill in it as a beginner I'd have to say that any nerf made to archery recently is screwing every new player to the game.

Since new people can't even hit something not moving or facing them, and you can't gain skill in it as a beginner I'd have to say that any nerf made to archery recently is screwing every new player to the game.

It is possible to train up your archery to 40 overall, and also 30 in each bow, by using an archery target.

This will make you much more efficient than with 0 skill, but under the current nerfs, it will still make you pretty worthless.

Ye i agree.

The recent nerf to faceshot/headshot accuracy while moving was indeed needed, but there was no reason to translate this nerf to the 'regular' shot option. I think that accuracy while shooting moving targets using the regular shot option was fine a week ago.

The only reason headshot/faceshot needed a nerf in accuracy while moving was because of the insane amount of damage it dealt. All archers who had the faceshot ability had to do was spam it and they'd get a roughly 33% hit rate - and it only takes 2 faceshots to kill. Given those odds it didn't take much thought to figure out what to use - there was no trade-off in using it.

Ye i agree.

The recent nerf to faceshot/headshot accuracy while moving was indeed needed, but there was no reason to translate this nerf to the 'regular' shot option. I think that accuracy while shooting moving targets using the regular shot option was fine a week ago.

The only reason headshot/faceshot needed a nerf in accuracy while moving was because of the insane amount of damage it dealt. All archers who had the faceshot ability had to do was spam it and they'd get a roughly 33% hit rate - and it only takes 2 faceshots to kill. Given those odds it didn't take much thought to figure out what to use - there was no trade-off in using it.

I agree special shots like that should only be likely to hit if the target is not moving.  And regular shots should be able to hit anywhere while target is moving as before.  What skill is aim at face?