Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

Fist weapons, for a "monk" style...

So, currently the closest we can get ATM to a "monk" theme combat is to either

1: use a staff

2:completely weapon less.

Both, for a PVE perspective at least, aren't very viable. While I'm sure fully possible, it's not going to be very fun doing very little, if any, damage.

I'd like to be able to play my priest as if it were a "monk" it combat. But how to do this, is the question at hand...

So , I think it should still need to be worked off skills to create the weapons, instead of just buffing fist damage, that way we can influence the damage - and enchants - like we do currently with other weapons.

So, I propose fist weapons. I personally don't think they should be "visible" on the players character, and should look like your just punching, and use the same current dialogue as weapon less. (However, depending on what/if anyone thinks otherwise, feel free to say - that's just how I'd like it)

We would improve these the same as other weapons, (weapon smithing) and have iron and steel versions. (Maybe other types, if people want them ^_^) and be able to use the current enchants on them. IE: they'd work just like other weapons, basically.

I think they should be faster then any other weapon currently, and also the least damage per hit out of them all. This would work on either a new skill, fist weapons, or (even better Imo) use weapon less fighting.

OverallI think they should be the least damage weapons in game (even with there super speed) but have some unique things, these are just ideas to go with it -

1: at a certain skill level, have a chance to deflect arrows being shot at you

2: have a higher chance to dodge mobs (maybe players too? Depends on PvP players & devs thoughts here)

Special moves could include something along the lines of increasing atk speed for a short time, or maybe doing a slower, but harder hit. Could also allow the "kick" while using them, or maybe even a slow while aiming towards the lower parts of the body.

Any feedback, suggestions, ect welcome. I'm not looking for this to be overpowerd, just really fun. (And let's face it - who wouldn't love running on a priest punching that boar that looked at you the wrong way?)

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 2

+1

I think a monk character would be more into meditation than religion :P lol but saying that...

It would give me a shining reason to create a priest, i would like to play a monk.

I'm told Unarmed combat isn't really a viable skill at the moment so i'd imagine sooner or later it'll probably beg to be done.

Also to clarify didn't mean only for priest of course, just allow them to use it. ^_^

• Like 1

Awesome idea, make weaponless fighting usefull coz now its completely useless.

Special moves with a kick or ur bare hands would be awesome.

Would benefit Fo priest more than anyone, a good bearpaws cast isnt too bad on weak creatures even without skill.  You kick when not wearing armor (i think just leg armor?) but very weak attack.

would be neat.  Right now a high bearpaws cast and a good oakshell with a bit of unarmed is do able in pve.  Also the steel staff does good enough damage to work in pve as well.  I am all for more options for alternative fighting styles like mentioned above.

You kick when not wearing armor (i think just leg armor?) but very weak attack.

U kick much harder then u hit with ur hands. Not that weak ;)

I wanna be wolverine...Hmm but than we need adamantite on Release lol

/edit so +1

Edited by Biervampyr

I wanna be wolverine...Hmm but than we need adamantite on Release lol

/edit so +1

You'd need some super regenerating skin, too!

1) I don't consider this high priority.

2) Many games have "uber awsum ninjaz!"

3) This isn't very medieval

I would be okay with spiked gauntlets but then there would need to be some minor chance of disarming or breaking weapons, thus making this a back up option to train for. 

3) This isn't very medieval

The inspirations for this game stretch across the full range of the medieval ages. Although the public perception of them doesn't include it, unarmed techniques were mixed into effective fighting forms and recorded in manuals as early as the 15th century (which is the timeline caravels happen to be from).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampfringen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts#Late_Middle_Ages_.281350_to_1500.29

Edited by Sevenless

Implement throwing weapons first. Or boomerangs.

Who needs a melee system that will be less viable for all kinds of circumstances?

They need to make the long spear a viable hunting weapon. Then you could roll your monk style just fine.

Hope the quote works. If not I agree with Sevenless the style should be European not Asian. I would really like more of a close range fight style with daggers or concealed weapons but weaponless is cool too.