Player reception for Xanadu is a bit mixed.  Those who hold large and developed deeds seem to be the majority of those against (as it reduces the value of their investment).  Players who want to explore (those who are not settled) love the idea of Xanadu.  I am generalising a bit but this follows the general pattern.

However, there is going to come a time when wurm hits steam.  Any game that gets put on steam gets a monumental influx of players (we're talking tens of thousands).  The current worlds will be swamped, new players everywhere, lag, chaos.

So, I propose that Xanadu (if it goes ahead with release) be released when the game hits steam and is connected to the other servers a week/2 weeks later.  I think the following joining would be best

Release/Pristine - Xanadu - Chaos - Rest of the freedom cluster

This order is because Release/Pristine markets are less likely to be disrupted by the merge (the big issue) and their market is less developed and won't hit Xanadu's very young economy too hard.  The pvp threat buffer between the more developed freedom cluster and Xanadu would make the venture riskier.  Perhaps (after a period of 6 months) the chaos step could be a non-mandatory one ("a shortcut has been discovered" to Xanadu).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

-1 ~~ release as soon as ready, fully and directly connected to all servers (except epic of course)

Edited by Elen
  • Like 5

IF (and I said if you people who can not be bothered to read it) it ever goes to steam we would need the land in place BEFORE steam release so that when they swarm they stay - you would also need more pve and pvp lands as if even 10k players were active same time you would need around 4-5 areas this large to keep the game balance

I propose that, if this game goes on steam, that Xanadu is the ONLY server that the new players can go to. Now, I would connect it up with the existing servers by means of sailing, but I feel that Xanadu should take the brunt of the assault to keep the current servers playable for those of us that are already here.

• Like 2

Xanadu should be released before Wurm goes to steam (if it goes to steam) so existing players can help build it up a bit in order to improve the first impression players from steam get when going there. The idea to only let new players in for the first two weeks and to open it up only once Wurm is on Steam will just make the starting areas shanty central, which will do wonders (not) for a good first impression.

Edited by Ecrir

I am in the open Xanadu and travel to all severs to everyone camp.

If and when the game ever goes with using steam if there is an influx of that many players the Dev Team can just toss a second mega-server up.

• Like 2

Release/Pristine - Xanadu - Chaos - Rest of the freedom cluster

This order is because Release/Pristine markets are less likely to be disrupted by the merge (the big issue) and their market is less developed and won't hit Xanadu's very young economy too hard.  The pvp threat buffer between the more developed freedom cluster and Xanadu would make the venture riskier.  Perhaps (after a period of 6 months) the chaos step could be a non-mandatory one ("a shortcut has been discovered" to Xanadu).

This is the worst idea i have ever seen for the placement forcing players into pvp to get to a new server is not the way to do things. Giving one side more access over the other is not fair to the others either. The only way to do this is to allow everyone a chance and hook Xanadu to the east of freedom and the west of P&R.

Only other way that would be fair is to open two new server one for each cluster if he intends on keeping them separate but i am sure there are players that made alts on the new cluster knowing that one day they could be united with their mains. This seems like as good as a time as ever to merge them. 

IF there is a steam push then they can add in another new server for that and it be only accessible from steam accounts.   

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

-1 to OP, the server placement makes no sense at all.

To put it in a simple way, forcing PvE players to PvP will never work.  And that IS forcing PvE players to PvP.

-1 ~~ release as soon as ready, fully and directly connected to all servers (except epic of course)

This. Don't faff about and divide freedom up more than it already is. Pristine and Release were meant to be connected to the main cluster after a while... but that never happened.

Xanadu is a good chance for Rolf to link Pristine/Release to the rest of freedom, even if it means putting it between them to create a good amount of distance between old and P/R servers.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

I doubt it is viable to happen at steam launch, they need to make sure they can actually run such a large server with millions of objects as well as fixing the inevitable bugs that become all the more apparent when scaling up. Probably, as previously mentioned, they will need several servers of this size to handle steam influx, maybe even host them in a place where they can quickly add servers depending on steam reception.

I doubt it is viable to happen at steam launch, they need to make sure they can actually run such a large server with millions of objects as well as fixing the inevitable bugs that become all the more apparent when scaling up. Probably, as previously mentioned, they will need several servers of this size to handle steam influx, maybe even host them in a place where they can quickly add servers depending on steam reception.

I'm not sure Steam even accepts java games, due to how insecure java is known to be. At least, that was the reason a couple years ago.

I've yet to see a single Java (not Javascript, that's a completely different thing) game on Steam.

Edited by syncaidius

I'm not sure Steam even accepts java games, due to how insecure java is known to be. At least, that was the reason a couple years ago.

I've yet to see a single Java (not Javascript, that's a completely different thing) game on Steam.

/points at the new employee of CC...

"Nudge nudge"

Edited by Druidnature

8 hits on Java development games currently in the Greenlight process:

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/?searchtext=java&searchtexthidden=&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items

Defender Story (excerpt from description) "...The whole thing was programmed in Java using LibGdx... Hats off to the Libgdx library and its great open source community !!! You guys rock !! Needless to say you need to have Java on your machine to run the game. "