Sign in to follow this  
ScarfaceRo

A simple, yet very important, question for the DEVs

I want to start by stating that I do understand that by the rules we all agreed with, we have no ownership over anything in the game - neither chars, deeds, coins or items - and that Code Club can at its sole discretion change any rules, close any servers or block access to any of "my" belongings. I understood that when I signed up, I agreed with it and no matter what will happen I won't hold grunge against Code Club, but instead I will try to adapt and I will stay with WURM "for better or for worse".

In the light of the previous affirmation, I do understand that you are under no obligation to answer to this question. Yet, it will be common courtesy towards your paying customers and a really nice thing to do if you will answer. Personally I'll appreciate it a lot.

Xanadu is a big thing, a huge thing, that's why there is no wonder it launched a lot of rumors - tied with a steam release, accessible only by new characters like Pristine & Release were, tied to old cluster, tied to new cluster, tied to both cluster, accessible via portals like epic, etc.

Among all these warning there is however one that kinda scares me (and tbh on which I would kinda put my bet that will happen based with my previous experience with the gaming industry) - that the aim is to attract as much people as possible on Xanadu, then, over time, stop creation of new characters on old servers, eventually stop patching and supporting them and ultimately retire the old servers and force everyone to move on Xanadu.

So that's my question - are there any plans (either short or long term) to retire all servers, have us lose all our deeds (with compensation or not) and force everyone to get on Xanadu?

If that's the case, it will be at least nice to know it from now so we can at least stop investing here, take the portal right on lunch time and claim a nice spot on the new server, etc.

Again, I know you don't have to answer to this, but I think is the fair thing to do.

Edited by ScarfaceRo
  • Like 8

I don't see why the developers should waste any time answering rumours and conspiracy theories. Let them focus on developing the game.

Personally I like to be surprised, so I don't see why they are obliged to answer any questions. They asked for a test of a server. They never made any statements, nor should they.

Don't pay attention to fear mongers and people spreading rumours, and try to use your common sense for a bit.

Common sense tells us that:

The new server will be available to both clusters. There is no reason to believe old servers will be shut down in near future. There is more reason to believe that more new players

and old players will flock to the new server. Also don't get your hopes up about rivers and 3D mines. They are still working on collision code for bridges, rivers and 3D mines are probably 2 years away.

• Like 4

Closing a server when noone wants to play there anymore may be an option in the future but so far no servers have been ever closed because they were deserted.

The only time so far that servers were closed was in 2009 when Rolf created Independence as a pure PvE server and closed the old JK and MR home servers. But I believe that in the aftermath of the whole home server drama back then Rolf learned that messing with peoples deeds and belongings is a good way to lose their money.

• Like 1

. Also don't get your hopes up about rivers and 3D mines. They are still working on collision code for bridges, rivers and 3D mines are probably 2 years away.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Also don't get your hopes up about rivers and 3D mines. They are still working on collision code for bridges, rivers and 3D mines are probably 2 years away.

Speaking as myself and not as a dev (since I haven't heard specifically either way about the answer to your question):

These speculations that are frothing everyone up are silly. Why would they close down the other servers? That's just asking for trouble.

• Like 14

Asking for a simple road plan for the game and the future is not too much to ask. The main reason is time investment, money, and personal investment. People simply need to know is it worth to invest into surface mining, deeds, and other such time worthy activities in Wurm.

Failing to take into account peoples wishes, hopes, and effort will result in ill will as stated by several vocal players. 

On the contrary building up good will and getting us excited for what is coming (whatever that is) is the way to go and would stop all the mystery. 

As for me I will stare at the mountain until something happens. 

• Like 3

ahh come on damnit, all i did was state an opinion and wat it seemed like, Yall went nuts with that, However, Budda, is 3D mines really ready? we would all gladly allow our mines to be wiped for that!!.  Yes, im grumpy alot latley, i have alot of stress in rl. Some choices rolfs made angered me and i went on a  bashing sphree ofem. However, at the end of the day, im still loging in, still playing, no matter how much i complain.  Just let the devs release there plans of it, If everyone hasnt noticed already, i shut up about the consipiracy idea because i was missing something, Info.  Budda,  when you guys do give us the info on what your all up to, can we toss out the secretness and explain it all in full detail that way everyone gets it the first swing.   Also, when will yall have some info about the launch of 3D mines, Xandu, bridges, etc.   ima have a fair bit of money soon, im thinking golds, if i am to move or spend any money, i wanna know whats up first, and thats really what everyone is curious about as most players stoped working on homes, playing the game as they once did and are waiting for your alls response. So heres to hoping we can get that soon.  Also, tell the graphic section  well done on the decorations and the timber walls, love it!

Yes, Ronin, I did that post (btw is flattering to see I already have a fan stalking me on fotums; please let me know if you want an autograph) and I don't rebute anything. I don't blame Rolf, I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I don't demand anything and for sure I am not going to quit.

I just ask a question which I feel is really important. If I won't get an answer, I won't freak out, I won't quit and I won't stop repremiuming; I will hold however on any major investment. And I heard quite a few people saying they will stop any investment for now, waiting to see what's up with Xanadu - people holding on spendings is a lose also for Code Club.

Now about common sense:

- Code Club is a small company; they don't afford unneeded expenses

- The current population may justify a new server, but definitely not one that is more than 4 times the size of Chaos + Old Freedom + New Freedom all together

- If Xanadu will just be "a new PVE server", then we'll end up with a really thined population both on the huge server and on the half-ghosted old ones, little extra income for Rolf (since most people would just move their chars and only set new deeds, nothing else) and a huge extra expense

And my common sense tells me that this doesn't make sense at all.

The most logical alternatives are:

- Rolf expects a huge influx of players (probably going on Steam) and is prrparing for this (this would also make sense with the change to enclosure rules to easr the manual work of GMs team). What if it won't work?

- Rolf expects to consolidate the population on a single server and slowly cut down the expense generated by the other servers. And that is the option I fear.

How could he achieve this without much drama?

Step one: offer one way transfer to Xanadu to thin out population on old servers; eventually even free disbands

Step two: introduce new features only to the new servers, saying the code / database / architecture of the old servers doesn't support them (may or may not be true) to thin out population any more

Step three: because of these reasons recommend any new players to join the new server at start up

Step four: call the old servers deprecated and in order to offer new players the most rich experience, stop registration of new accounts on the old servers

Step five: cut down the support for the old servers

Step six (final): With the now forced valid justification that the population on the old servers is too low to justify their ecistance, shut them down

That's what I think and fear that will happen. And sound quite logical to do so. And I have nothing against it. But if that's the case I would like to know.

So what I look for is a diplomatic answer slong these lines:

- either: we have absolutely no intention to shut down any server or prioritize any server

- either: Xanadu offers us the change to better code the game so it represents the future; the other servers will be kept as long as they finaciallu sustain themselves, but they no longer are a priority

Edited by ScarfaceRo
  • Like 1

Sorry for all spelling mistakes - my big fingers are not made for smartphones' virtual keyboards.

Yes, Ronin, I did that post (btw is flattering to see I already have a fan stalking me on fotums; please let me know if you want an autograph) and I don't rebute anything. I don't blame Rolf, I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I don't demand anything and for sure I am not going to quit.

I just ask a question which I feel is really important. If I won't get an answer, I won't freak out, I won't quit and I won't stop repremiuming; I will hold however on any major investment. And I heard quite a few people saying they will stop any investment for now, waiting to see what's up with Xanadu - people holding on spendings is a lose also for Code Club.

Now about common sense:

- Code Club is a small company; they don't afford unneeded expenses

- The current population may justify a new server, but definitely not one that is more than 4 times the size of Chaos + Old Freedom + New Freedom all together

- If Xanadu will just be "a new PVE server", then we'll end up with a really thined population both on the huge server and on the half-ghosted old ones, little extra income for Rolf (since most people would just move their chars and only set new deeds, nothing else) and a huge extra expense

And my common sense tells me that this doesn't make sense at all.

The most logical alternatives are:

- Rolf expects a huge influx of players (probably going on Steam) and is prrparing for this (this would also make sense with the change to enclosure rules to easr the manual work of GMs team). What if it won't work?

- Rolf expects to consolidate the population on a single server and slowly cut down the expense generated by the other servers. And that is the option I fear.

How could he achieve this without much drama?

Step one: offer one way transfer to Xanadu to thin out population on old servers; eventually even free disbands

Step two: introduce new features only to the new servers, saying the code / database / architecture of the old servers doesn't support them (may or may not be true) to thin out population any more

Step three: because of these reasons recommend any new players to join the new server at start up

Step four: call the old servers deprecated and in order to offer new players the most rich experience, stop registration of new accounts on the old servers

Step five: cut down the support for the old servers

Step six (final): With the now forced valid justification that the population on the old servers is too low to justify their ecistance, shut them down

That's what I think and fear that will happen. And sound quite logical to do so. And I have nothing against it. But if that's the case I would like to know.

So what I look for is a diplomatic answer slong these lines:

- either: we have absolutely no intention to shut down any server or prioritize any server

- either: Xanadu offers us the change to better code the game so it represents the future; the other servers will be kept as long as they finaciallu sustain themselves, but they no longer are a priority

Gawd you are really bored.

Gawd you are really bored.

You bet I am. On train, going to the mountains, girls are sleeping, but I can't clise my eyes. Plus I'm out of cigarettes.

Still my questions stand. ;)

Rolf already said that 3d mining was finished, and that the only way to implement it on the existing servers is to wipe the underground layers of those servers clean. 

Now, I have been one of those speculating a bit, but it is not "fear mongering". Some of us that have been around here for ages have seen all this in Wurm before... we don't fear it, but we don't ignore the obvious signs either. The old servers will be shut down after this mega one settles in a bit. Just like JKh and MRh were, and just like Wild almost was before it got pushed onto the Freedom cluster and renamed to Chaos.

Hell, Wild was threatened to be dropped purely because of low player count...

This, so this.

I too have been around a while and I see some elements of Wurm history repeating itself. I do not Fear the changes, I desire information to react and act with the changes, in a positive manner. I also know full disclosure of all information concerning Xanadu and what plans Rolf and Devs have for it probably won't ever be forth coming, not all the info. Rolf doesn't work that way. That's not his style. Some say I stir up drama and make matters worse... I say ignorance and having no desire to seek the truth of a matter is what is worse, even in the workings of a video game.

Sometimes the important questions are the boring ones. They need to be asked, even if we know the answers may not be available for a while. Keep asking ScarefaceRo.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

Why would they close down the other servers? That's just asking for trouble.

What are we going to do with a server 16x bigger than Indy? 

In the 7 years i've been here, I've seen the game grow... but not that much. Nothing that warrants the size of the new server. Sorry to say, , I don't foresee us gaining enough players to warrant it in the next 5-10 years, let alone ever.

The PVE playerbase's common consensus (from what's been vocalized on the forums) is that no one was interested in a new PVE server that would "thin" out the population more than it already is... so you can't say it's what the people wanted.

If we moved everyone who plays PVE to a map of Xan's size, it still would be too big for the community. Keep the old servers around and it's even worse. If Rolf threatened to close Wild at one time due to poor server pop numbers, I easily see it threatened to the older PVE servers once Xan has been up and operating and has dwindled the pop from the the other, older PVE servers.

Either that, or Xanadu itself will flop and 50 people will be playing with their alts on a extremely oversized map. 

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 2

I want to start by stating that I do understand that by the rules we all agreed with, we have no ownership over anything in the game - neither chars, deeds, coins or items - and that Code Club can at its sole discretion change any rules, close any servers or block access to any of "my" belongings. I understood that when I signed up, I agreed with it and no matter what will happen I won't hold grunge against Code Club, but instead I will try to adapt and I will stay with WURM "for better or for worse".

In the light of the previous affirmation, I do understand that you are under no obligation to answer to this question. Yet, it will be common courtesy towards your paying customers and a really nice thing to do if you will answer. Personally I'll appreciate it a lot.

Xanadu is a big thing, a huge thing, that's why there is no wonder it launched a lot of rumors - tied with a steam release, accessible only by new characters like Pristine & Release were, tied to old cluster, tied to new cluster, tied to both cluster, accessible via portals like epic, etc.

Among all these warning there is however one that kinda scares me (and tbh on which I would kinda put my bet that will happen based with my previous experience with the gaming industry) - that the aim is to attract as much people as possible on Xanadu, then, over time, stop creation of new characters on old servers, eventually stop patching and supporting them and ultimately retire the old servers and force everyone to move on Xanadu.

So that's my question - are there any plans (either short or long term) to retire all servers, have us lose all our deeds (with compensation or not) and force everyone to get on Xanadu?

If that's the case, it will be at least nice to know it from now so we can at least stop investing here, take the portal right on lunch time and claim a nice spot on the new server, etc.

Again, I know you don't have to answer to this, but I think is the fair thing to do.

Hello.

I can tell you that there are no plans on closing the old servers because of Xanadu.

It will be an addition to the current ones.

I might not be able to comment much on the final implementation as I have iterated some times before as we are still in the testing phase of how far we can push it.

But there is no need to nurture such rumors to further the confusion surrounding this release.

Talk to you later Wurmians.

• Like 19

Hello.

I can tell you that there are no plans on closing the old servers because of Xanadu.

I might not be able to comment much on the final implementation as I have iterated some times before as we are still in the testing phase of how far we can push it.

But there is no need to nurture such rumors to further the confusion surrounding this release.

RedBaron,

I am very glad to read your post here that discredits the unreasonable speculators who tired to perpetuate and build upon the rumor they had created that any of the current servers would be closed because of the opening of Xanadu. Although I had never thought for a moment that there was any sense to justify doing this or that it would be done, your first statement made above was a very necessary one for others to read that might have some concern for this happening due to others overblown exaggerations.

Hopefully now some peace of mind will be regained in this respect at least; however, patience can not be learned from a simple reading of the facts. So, no doubt further wild speculative impediments will be presented as to how Xanadu will be the end of all Wurm enjoyment of the current confined spaces of these lands wherein we so fondly reside. Myself, I will remain little disturbed while waiting for the plans to all unfold and evolve from further testing of this new server. Something to look forward to indeed.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Either that, or Xanadu itself will flop and 50 people will be playing with their alts on a extremely oversized map.

Now that sounds like heaven... How much can to get in on that deal? Only a few thousand? Deal!

But No, there's no way they will be closing current servers, at least not for a very, very long time. That would be beyond stupid, especially to wurms type of players. The team would screw themselves over with that one.

And to those saying Xanadu had no reason to be that size.... Well, there's no reason are deeds shouldn't be any less then 500x500 either, there's not enough room on these servers for 10 people more less are few hundred.

Your point of views are invalid! ^_^

But seriously, the more I can play this game without having to worry about other players that I have no idea who, what, or where they come from settling on my perimeter, screwing land around me up - that I work on. Ect, the better. I'd be perfectly fine to take my 3 characters and a few alliances buddies to the new server, and never be seen, or see anyone else, again. I love other players to play with, just not when I have no clue who they are, and they usually wish to do harm.

ima go win the lottery then plant a 5000x5000 on xandu, then you all will be my slaves!!!!!!!. In all seriousness, im not leaving my island, I personally see the massive size of xandu ending up a big problam as then ur all hermits! will take years to fill the gaps. Hell look at indy, theres a ton of areas with no players in site. no homes. So peoples ###### reasoning there is no land is pure lazyness. they all want costal deeds, once xandus coasts are taken, youll hear it again or people are simply too lazy to look. other day in kchat, guy told me he wants the hunt to come to him, not him to go to it.  tons of animals yet people are simply too damn lazy and retarded to actually go out and look for it.  Wurms attracting the wrong kinds of players now as these people are feeling entitled to instant this n that!

• Like 1

I don't see why the developers should waste any time answering rumours and conspiracy theories. Let them focus on developing the game.

Personally I like to be surprised, so I don't see why they are obliged to answer any questions. They asked for a test of a server. They never made any statements, nor should they.

Don't pay attention to fear mongers and people spreading rumours, and try to use your common sense for a bit.

The new server will be available to both clusters. There is no reason to believe old servers will be shut down in near future. There is more reason to believe that more new players

and old players will flock to the new server. Also don't get your hopes up about rivers and 3D mines. They are still working on collision code for bridges, rivers and 3D mines are probably 2 years away.

To the OP, I was going to post something along the same lines about the new server.

To Pwent, why shouldnt the devs answer a simple question about the approach of the new server?  Here is a simple FACT, the devs didnt just decided one day when they woke up lets make a HUGE map just because... They have a plan with it, something they have yet to share any details with us about. Its kinda stupid if you ask me to not share any information about what they can/might do with the new server. It would not take Rolf or anyone else to much time to say hey these are the few options we are looking at with the new map, we have not made a final decision yet but we have x y and z as options.

Simple clarifying communication is the key to all games, and those that have lacked it failed hard. So just like the OP i also would like to know what possible direction this new server might take... NOTICE that i am asking the possibilities the Game Devs want to take, not the population. The population has thrown out many good ideas, but overall it comes down to what the dev team wants to do with it, and I along with 5k other premium players would also like to know at the very least what direction the dev team is trying to focus on. 

THIS IS NOT ASKING FOR A LOT.

Hello.

I seriously love how this Dev team always beats around the bush. The same time it took to make this comment could have been the same time to just list a few possible approaches the team is trying to achieve. We all already know that Xanadu is being made to push the player count on one server limit, we are not asking about that, we would like to know to what approach is the Dev team looking to do with the server be it will it most likely be on its own, will there be a better possibility of it being connected. You cannot tell me the dev team does not know, i am 110% sure the dev team has it all laid out in front of them, just come out with the possible plans for the server and be done with it already.

It is never the devs "wasting time" answering questions, its the people they pay to do customer relations, yes that's right.. They employed someone to do customer relations because they /want/ to be able to answer questions and communcate with their player base. Amazing huh?

I personally see the massive size of xandu ending up a big problam as then ur all hermits! 

I love being a hermit.  Most of my large deed is completely unused just because I don't want to even see other people from the middle of it.  I'm hedging on enough people leaving for Xanidu that I get to be even MORE of a hermit.  Huehuehue.

right now the devs wasting time,clearly

the paying customers ,demand a clear statement,as they notice clearly that pretty much all trading around the servers is dead

short example,try to sell 3 refs, all you get from the usual buyers "nah i dont buy right now,until they clear up,whats happening to xanadu"..from players who buy them stackwise

try to sell deeds ,"nah until they explain how they throw us on xanadu,i wont buy deeds.." such answers going on and on

since that server shown up,pretty much every trade got a hold

if that stays for another 2 weeks,people have to ask themself,do they want to efford another 64€ to update 4 accs, if they cant even sell the reffs for 3 batteries anymore?

some are already right now at that point.

so,incase they plan to keep paying customers,they better clear this whole mess and confusion up,right away.

and that doesnt mean some fishy roundabout,that means clear words.where we can point to,and quote in case of need.

and i dont ask for any sort of player opinion,we all know what happend before,and that this wouldn't be the first time all got thrown from a server,with some refunds but not all..

people are confused,in my case,if iam unclear,i wait with further funding.

• Like 1

Your point of views are invalid! ^_^

Actually, I think my point of views are most logical.  It makes absolutely no sense to make a server that big, which would spread the population of PVE players even thinner.

Johan can say there is no plans to merge. That might be very true... as of now. Give it 6 months or a year.  ;)