Sign in to follow this  
dapperdan

Dirt wall needs a valid/usable replacement?

currently on Chaos a dirt wall is considered essential for survival and personally i think it's a great improvised idea but quite frankly they're ugly and disregarding the principals of logic

diggers should not be able to do this it would only be logical to give this ability to the masons

so my idea was a colossus wall which also gives colossus bricks a practical use

now i know the time it takes to build a dirt wall so it should cost quite some materials i was thinking of a thousand colossus bricks and that would finish the wall on 1 tile

after that you can add more colossus bricks depending on your masonry skill how much bricks you can add making it higher and stronger

the exact numbers need to be discussed by people who have experience in making dirt walls

it has to be equal to a dirtwall thats the most important i think

Edited by dapperdan
  • Like 1

As a maker of dirt walls, I much prefer digging and flat raising to making bricks.

As a maker of dirt walls, I much prefer digging and flat raising to making bricks.

And i hate digging and i am a fo priest... So big

+1 here

Dirt "walls" and what you're suggesting as an alternative are completely different things.  All you are suggesting is another wall/fence.  Dirt "walls" are nothing more than steep terrain and your taller/stronger walls are not going to replace them.  People will just build those walls at the top of those steep slopes, like they currently do.

Wurm's not-so-secret weapon has always been terrain modification and I don't think Rolf is silly enough to start gimping that.

I agree with the OP, dirtwalls in their current form are ridiculous and totally unrealistic.

Besides the collosal wall idea I think dirtwalls should be nerfed by removing the flatraising bug. Also it should be impossible to build strcutures at the edge of slopes steeper than 60-80 for example.

I want wurm to have castles that look like those in Real Life not these mockeries that everyone defends by saying they represent the pinnacle of wurm's greatest feature...

+1

-1 colossus walls

it has been like this for over 5years?

I hope I could go past 301slope some day.

Since the creation of Wurm Deeds on PvP servers looked like square pimples (with exceptions), but back then they actually had ramps leading up the walls.

If something is that way for over 7 years it dose not mean it is the most optimal solution. We didn't have proper animations and character customization a few years ago? maybe it didnt need changing....

Dirt walls where a valid defense on earlier civilizations, so is not unreal. Of course the concept is over exaggerated in wurm, but is scaled with characters abilities. In real life you probably can´t have a 4 meters wide, 150 meters tall dirt wall, but at the same time no human alone is skilled enough to take down such a wall in half an hour with a shovel while drooping the resulting dirt in a magical box of .25 cubic meters.

Dirt walls where a valid defense on earlier civilizations, so is not unreal. Of course the concept is over exaggerated in wurm, but is scaled with characters abilities. In real life you probably can´t have a 4 meters wide, 150 meters tall dirt wall, but at the same time no human alone is skilled enough to take down such a wall in half an hour with a shovel while drooping the resulting dirt in a magical box of .25 cubic meters.

dirtwalls existed, and raising the terrain to force invaders to stand on sloped ground existed too.

-1 to the OP, I actually think that dirtwalls are not "pretty", but are an excellent feature.  I only wish they could be reinforced further.

One of the major draws to Wurm is the fully deformable terrain - do not remove this freedom.

• Like 1

first off how is flat raising a bug? I mean its a core game mechanic its not like were gonna suddenly change the rules on that........*coughs* err I mean first off castles around the ages have used this same technique and if a player is willing to take weeks sometimes months to build this he should be rewarded - and defense is not pretty its meant to save lives - also in real life a similar process is used to make dirt dam's and such there not pretty but people thank god when they block the water that would flood their homes

Just a carebear with a casual suggestion.  How about looking at history for ideas?  From what I've seen, building walls that could withstand a siege entailed making 2 tall stone walls and filling in the space between with dirt.  This made for a very sturdy wall, and if you breached the first, then you still had to remove the dirt to be able to get to the 2nd wall and then destroy it.  This is what your dirt walls are replacing and I'm surprised that none of you have ever suggested it before.

well its also a fantasy game so you could even make a bit of magic - something difficult to craft that would reinforce walls to siege craft or slowly regen walls to make getting through more of a concentrated effort over a waiting game

-1 to colossus walls, because it doesn't even make sense. A colossus is a giant statue. 

Edited by Arronicus