Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

One giant Xanadu merge to rule them all

As a new server stand alone, it is too much.  Your players will be divided - "Should I stay with my deeds and toons where I have put so much investment, or try this new giant server?"

If I stay:

- I watch many friends leave for the new server and my neighborhood may become a ghost town.

- I possible get to reap the rewards of expired deed looting

- People will sell me their characters at dirt cheap prices and possibly their deeds (not sure why I want more??)

- I can expand and heck, maybe move next to the starter town if I want

- I get to leverage all my investment and keep wurming happily ever after - minus all my friends, so maybe not so happy after all.

*** but Rolf has to keep the lights on for me to enjoy it all and he probably wants to consolidate servers to save money***

If I go to Xanadu:

- I probably get new content, like bridges and 3D mines.

- I get all the room to grow I could ever possibly want.

- Can make a new community with friends that are also going

- Spend a fortune, trying to re-deed all the resources I already deeded on my old server.

*** Rolf gets a new revenue stream, unless he lets everyone take their silver from other servers ***

The choice is hard! Really hard.  I feel like it isn't a good choice either. So, how can this be a win-win for Rolf and his customers?

1. Announce the sunsetting of ALL the old servers (including the new cluster). Make it a rolling sunset, based on server age.  Give us a few weeks to get our affairs in order, then shut down a server every few weeks.

2. Give everyone fair value for their land.  What would it cost to create a new deed of the same size w/same Templars? That is how much credit they get for the new server.

3. Give a refund for Traders and merchants.  100% on merchants and on traders, 100% for newly purchased, 40s for a 1month old trader, 30 for 2 month, 20s for 3 month old, etc.

4. Premuim time get's fully credited.

5. Silver/gold is credited.

6. Items, buildings, bulk goods... tragic loss due to the 'wurld' getting sucked into a black hole.

All of those silver credits go into a new "Master Account", where we can attach multiple characters and then use those funds to re-prem any of our characters we create in Xanadu, as well as buy settlement papers, fund deeds, etc.

Originally, I was worried about old and Wurm wealthy characters taking their wealth to the new server and gobbling up the prime land, but after seeing it today, it just isn't possible. The land is far too big!  Let the wealth come over.  It won't hurt new players, but in fact, if gives the new players someone to sell their goods and labor to.

What about existing character skills? I think it just has to be a complete wipe. That would kill a small fortune in skills that I invested in, but it has to be that way.  It would be to imbalanced to allow old characters to come over. "But why let all the silvers come over?? won't that be an imbalance??" No. People can flat out buy silver from Rolf if they want, so there is no harm in allowing those funds to transfer from old servers. Ok, this was pretty unpopular, lol. Message received ;)

Why would Rolf want to let us bring our money over? Why would he want to credit us for old server deeds, etc?  Because if he can trade in the cost of running 6 old servers and move everyone to 1 new server, a TON of infrastructure cost goes away, as well as eliminating the need to develop two sets of code, for the different server types. Just maintaining the old code for bugs and security risks is expensive. Every driver update, OS update, blah blah, all needs testing on old servers, if you continue supporting them.

So pull the trigger, roll the dice, take the plunge! A grand new adventure for all.

Edited by Wurmhole

Hmm yeah after years of working on my toon? Er I'd have to say GG and walk away. I think most of the folks I know would feel the same. The projects can always be rebuilt (to a certain extent). But the loss of the characters developed in game would be a loss of history of wurm which is one of it's biggest assets. Rolf opens news servers when he wants more money, it's just that simple. He figures folks will pony up for new alts on yet another server. The biggest question is will they?

• Like 8

You nuke my hard worked character stats, and my hard earned items, I nuke my subscription.

• Like 13

-1 another way to say skill wipe 10/10 would not play again

All and good i suppose... if everyone wanted to play on a carebear server...

no thanks

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!

now let them be i want to get some cheap stuff as they start scraping money together for the new server. 

• Like 2

Skill wipe, definitely no, but a land wipe could be up for debate depending on reimbursement.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 2

I can't see a single good reason to wipe skills. Merging all the small PvE server maps into one big one is a great idea though.

• Like 1

First, to quell the cries a little bit:

If we are eventually expected to migrate over to this server, all deed disbands and the upkeep will be reimbursed in full. Traders go back to their "form" state.

As per history of Wurm.

As for skill reset, there's absolutely no reason for it... and if it were to be done, most people would leave, including myself.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

Ok, so I get the desire to keep the old toons, but the development future is with the new server. Maybe we just have to accept an imbalance and port over old toons?  If I were Rolf, I would want to find a way to get everyone to move off the old and retire it.  If nothing comes over, no current silvers, no deed credits, etc, then I stay on old servers.

As far as PVP, they either have to make a portion of the map PVP or create a second PVP server. I would like to see the Xanadu map have a large PVP section.

where is all of this hearsay and thumbsucking rumours coming from?

citation needed.

I second that, Ronin, the sky is falling....

• Like 2

Erm no, i put in a ton of time and effort into building up my deeds, at the cost of working on skills. I don't want to lose those deeds.

wow..... :wacko:

No Thanks.

This already happened when 2 new servers opened a while back, deal with it like those that stayed last time did.

Oh and kiss your precious market good bye pristine / release.  mwhahahahaha... 

• Like 2

Skill wipe? Out of the question, i'd be furious and i have only what? a year into my toon.

I can only imagine the feeling if that happened and I had 5-6 years into it!

Merging is a great idea though. Refund deeds / upkeep / traders? / merchants to players so they can move there.

Take exact copies of old servers, reduce center land mass on new server, drop old servers around the edges of this new land mass.

• Like 2

Take exact copies of old servers, reduce center land mass on new server, drop old servers around the edges of this new land mass.

Was thinking this at work today.  Would be fine with loosing my mine even.  Just move Pristine minus the mining (to allow for new mining model) and plop it as nearby continent next to the main landmass.  

Technically I probably wouldn't even be any the wiser.

Total win/win

• Like 1

Skill wipe? Out of the question, i'd be furious and i have only what? a year into my toon.

I can only imagine the feeling if that happened and I had 5-6 years into it!

Merging is a great idea though. Refund deeds / upkeep / traders? / merchants to players so they can move there.

Edited my post to remove the skill wipe suggestion.

Edited my post to remove the skill wipe suggestion.

So something you thought would horribly outbalance the game you removed because it wasn't popular?  That doesn't really solve the problem.

Also, this asinine idea was supposed to be a suggestion?

If they wanted to move the entirety of Release to the new server (and I mean, everyone's deeds, stuff, etc.I I could cope with a new mine/mining system) I would be fine with that. Not that I would trust them not to kill all our things while doing so...

Was thinking this at work today.  Would be fine with loosing my mine even.  Just move Pristine minus the mining (to allow for new mining model) and plop it as nearby continent next to the main landmass.  

Technically I probably wouldn't even be any the wiser.

Total win/win

If they wanted to move the entirety of Release to the new server (and I mean, everyone's deeds, stuff, etc.I I could cope with a new mine/mining system) I would be fine with that. Not that I would trust them not to kill all our things while doing so...

LOLOL

So something you thought would horribly outbalance the game you removed because it wasn't popular?  That doesn't really solve the problem.

Also, this asinine idea was supposed to be a suggestion?

Frownie faces are always nice, I guess I was more or less wondering how you would balance something that you said would make things unbalanced originally, you'd ideally want some solution to that problem, other than a skill wipe as you originally said.

• Like 1

Before we start any more of a panic, why don't we wait and see what the Devs are actually planning?

• Like 3