Sign in to follow this  
Flink

My thoughts on Xanadu

So I've noticed some discussion about Xanadu's size and people wondering if boats are going to be faster, etc.

Casting aside discussion about whether wurm needs another server, or what kind of server it will be, etc—I think it's a really awesome idea. Wurm has always been about huge, customizable landmasses with forests to get lost in and mountains to climb. Xanadu takes this to the next level and really gives a grand sense of scale to it all. A server where you can truly explore and get lost. 

I don't think I'll be moving to there from my home (Chaos), but Xanadu has always been how I envisioned the ideal wurm server—one huge landmass, rather than islands split up. I support the dev team in trying out this idea—not only is it really cool, it's also rather cutting edge when it comes to open world MMO maps. Definitely a good publicity move for the game. 

Those who were on the test server, what do you think? From the little I got to saw, the map looks quite good—that extra space gives more room for bigger, grander everything, so the map seems much more natural. 

Edited by Flink
  • Like 2

I agree entirely.

My main thought about Xanadu however is just how Wurm absolutely does not need this right now.

• Like 6

I agree entirely.

My main thought about Xanadu however is just how Wurm absolutely does not need this right now.

Agreed. I'm assuming this is just happening now because the dev team now has the resources for it, but I'd be much more excited if the Freedom PVE servers were all initially created as one huge map rather than to have Xanadu + the islands. 

I dont understand why it is Pve only, whats fun about a map thats enormous but nothing to worry about?

Might be my own dumbness tho.

• Like 2

I love the rollng hills and general server layout from the stuff I could explore.  Also like that there weren't cliffs every 10 tiles

My thoughts......A lot more Wurm with different trees and land tiles each stop along the way.  I went to all 10 places to see.

I was very impressed with the sheer size..  It just begs to be explored. 

• Like 1

I dont understand why it is Pve only, whats fun about a map thats enormous but nothing to worry about?

That people can build, terraform and suck dry the natural resources for the sake of it, like a big growing cancer.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was just...big. Meh. Unless they're going to somehow merge all the servers into one better functioning one, I have no need for Xanadu.

• Like 1

I agree with Lorenamontana for once. It would be better off as a PvP map. Maybe if Epic were to be wiped (and Valrei were to be fixed) the new Xanadu map could be a single Epic PvP map. I say that Valrei would need to be fixed because it is the main idea around which Epic was based, which is currently bugged beyond anything else in the game. With something like that, there is no use to remaking a bugged idea with it's current bugs still in place. However, there aren't enough people in the game to justify another map of that size, PvP or PvE.

• Like 1

Couldn't see much because I couldn't ride a horse or make a vehicle.  Now i know what Wurm would be like if there were no starter tools - and it would suck.  I would never have gotten into this game if we had to forage 100x for a branch like that.  What I did see looked nice.  I also wish Freedom servers had been designed like this map.  Hopefully boat bridges will be open right away, because as much as I'd love to explore and get lost in that world, I liked the way it looked enough to sail over here and start a deed, but not enough to want to give up my current character.

So with the population that the 5 current pvp servers have you think you'd have to worry about something on a map as big as this? 

I posted my thoughts on the matter here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/99648-experience-xanadu/page-6#entry1007592

I know it was just a stress test today, but it was so boring I couldn't even stand it.

If I could sum it up in one word, it would either be 'blah', or 'meh'.

What exactly were you expecting? Those features that you beleived in would be on the new server has been nothing more than rumours created by the players. Your fault for beleiving in them.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

I found nothing outstanding about the map, other then it's huge size.  It wasn't amazingly beautiful, so I'd like to see a greater emphasis on terrain generation, such as rivers, maybe one massive mountain that is visible from anywhere, etc etc.  There is only one section that I really liked and that was when I headed away from spawn 8 and found a 2 tile wide valley between huge walls of rock, that was fantastic and felt awesome walking through it.

As for what people were saying, I believe that the map is huge - which is awesome!  However I'd like to see every island consolidated into this server, separate of course - but on the same server or something.

So you can be a hermit and only online once a week without login to find things being raided or have to fit around with people ;)

One hour I only manage to swim the sea and climb a mountain almost at its peak... surprising how the mountain looks ripe for settlements., yummm!

That people can build, terraform and suck dry the natural resources for the sake of it, like a big growing cancer.

As opposed to turning it into a PVP wasteland.

This:

As for what people were saying, I believe that the map is huge - which is awesome!  However I'd like to see every island consolidated into this server, separate of course - but on the same server or something.

If they combined all Freedoms into one, I'd love that.

• Like 1

guess that means there will be much more space for the ones that do want this new server if so many we not impressed. 

Gotta say I am actually excited about this.  The overcrowding on the smaller islands drove me nuts.  This brings back that sense of adventure and exploration that I love.  Gather some basic supplies then head out with my friends in a random direction until we get tired of walking and find a place we want to place our settlement.  Hopefully far enough away from others so as to not encroach on each other, but close enough to still know neighbors in the region and have some trade.

It is the best looking map overall I have seen yet. The way the land lays, the changes in slope and elevation, the heights of distant mountains, look very real, much better than say Indy's overly exaggerated topography.

This is the kind of server where I would build me a Knarr and run a shipping business and love it. Absolutely love it. Even when I looked out to sea I could still see distant islands and land I was itching to explore and had not the time.

If I hadn't of spent a boat load of cash in the last month buying and expanding a deed I would be packing up.... but I get one chance once a year to make big purchases in Wurm, and not every year either, and now I am where I am for the long term. I made my choice based on what I knew about Wurm at that time, before any hint of Xanadu was announced. So be it.

Enjoy the best map ever. I would have. I think it's going to be a great server from what I saw.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

As opposed to turning it into a PVP wasteland.

Wasteland? I think you have never been on Epic.

I agree with Lorenamontana for once. It would be better off as a PvP map. Maybe if Epic were to be wiped (and Valrei were to be fixed) the new Xanadu map could be a single Epic PvP map. I say that Valrei would need to be fixed because it is the main idea around which Epic was based, which is currently bugged beyond anything else in the game. With something like that, there is no use to remaking a bugged idea with it's current bugs still in place. However, there aren't enough people in the game to justify another map of that size, PvP or PvE.

This, so much this.

So you can be a hermit and only online once a week without login to find things being raided or have to fit around with people ;)

I think you have never been on Epic.

I think you have never been on Epic.

I did. I stick a bit on DSC elevation and EB affliction. The numbers of people on one alliance and village do helps tamper off raiders. But can it be said so with one man deed? :) Knowing both sides, I'm just explaining the views of pve to pvpers. Just like I explain the view of pvp to pvers (aka it is not all mass massacre).

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 1

Going forward I see no reason why pvp can't be amalgamated into a single megaserver if that's what PVP people want. But we will definitely want a PvE map of the same. PvE has the population to support it, and if we wanted pvp we'd be on a pvp server.

Server generation seemed really nice for PvE settling, but constant forests everywhere make it kinda hard to see much of the world.

In general: PvP players should get say over pvp maps, PvE over PvE maps. I don't like the PvPers who are constantly looking at things pve and trying to convince anyone who'll listen it'd be better PvP. We play pver servers because we want to be there.

Edited by Sevenless
  • Like 4