Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

sailing on xanadu

is there any plans to make ships hundreds of times faster before opening xanadu?

if im calculating correctly  it takes about 40 minutes from north to south on a sailboat at max speed on a small pve server.

independence its 4 times the size of those and xanadu its 16 times the size of independence =64 times the size of the other small pve servers.

sailing on north to south or east to west straight on the border would take about 10 Hours

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

That's awesome!  Solitude, mini-economies and micro realms within a realm!!  It should take days to navigate it :D

• Like 5

I already corrected you once, and you make a new topic and continue your mistakes?

Well, if you want to make yourself look like a fool, be my guest.

Xanadu will be 64 km * 64 kilometer big, that is 8 hour in a sail boat in one direction at the slowest speed, not 43 hours.

Xanadu will be 16 times bigger than Independence, that is 4 times in each direction.

Math lesson done.

• Like 1

nonstop gale

thunderstorms so we reach 45km/h on knarrs?

some buff needed ^^

I already corrected you once, and you make a new topic and continue your mistakes?

Well, if you want to make yourself look like a fool, be my guest.

Xanadu will be 64 km * 64 kilometer big, that is 8 hour in a sail boat in one direction at the slowest speed, not 43 hours.

Xanadu will be 16 times bigger than Independence, that is 4 times in each direction.

Math lesson done.

yeah seems like i got carried away,inde its 4 times the size of small pve server but that of course doesnt mean what i said,it means its 2 times the size when going north to south.

wich would means about 10 hours using those times for xanadu

Edited by Tpikol

Can anyone explain how this is good for wurm?

This kind of server is what Wurm has needed all along. Too bad it can't handle the lag.

You need to think big to attract more players.

This isn't an issue. I don't see any particular reason why the entirety of the server should be reachable in a single sitting. We might've grown comfortable with having server boundaries that mentally helps us measure up manageable travel distances but it doesn't need to be like that.

The only difference would be that you might have to ask your potential weaponsmith whereabout on the server he is located rather than which one.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 4

Yungsters are always in hurry. Just relax and let the wind take you on it's own speed

Speedboats would just kill the thrill and fun of exploring.

• Like 3

I quite liked the immersion when I first started playing Wurm and it was a huge unknown world; whilst the map wasn't that big because it took a long time to get around it seemed so much larger and even after a year much of it was unkown and untouched - now you can zip around from one side of the server to the other in under a hour on a fast horse so every corner of the map is settled and explored. Whilst I don't currently play on a PvE server I think if I did I'd like to be able to setup a deed hidden away somewhere and hardly ever see anyone in local with large area to myself without needing to pay 10g a month for a large deed.

• Like 4

Just add tents and sleeping bags or allow us to sleep in wagons when we travel and it'll be very fun and hugely challenging.

Just add tents and sleeping bags or allow us to sleep in wagons when we travel and it'll be very fun and hugely challenging.

Or, you know, the Inn mechanic could actually get used.

• Like 1

Sailing Speeds are fine imo.  It should take time and work and investment.  

I quite liked the immersion when I first started playing Wurm and it was a huge unknown world; whilst the map wasn't that big because it took a long time to get around it seemed so much larger and even after a year much of it was unkown and untouched - now you can zip around from one side of the server to the other in under a hour on a fast horse so every corner of the map is settled and explored. Whilst I don't currently play on a PvE server I think if I did I'd like to be able to setup a deed hidden away somewhere and hardly ever see anyone in local with large area to myself without needing to pay 10g a month for a large deed.

Edited by Milosanx

This isn't an issue. I don't see any particular reason why the entirety of the server should be reachable in a single sitting. We might've grown comfortable with having server boundaries that mentally helps us measure up manageable travel distances but it doesn't need to be like that.

The only difference would be that you might have to ask your potential weaponsmith whereabout on the server he is located rather than which one.

I love the idea of having local craftsmen selling their wares, rather than the one uber crafter that covers an entire server of cluster. Mailing goods in a few minutes is convenient, but it sure doesn't help the locals sell their goods to locals.

Honestly, in order to knock out mailboxes you'd need to set up some ingame system to allow contracted moving of goods. Think escrow + contracts ala EvE style (I know they get mentioned too much, but that particular system is a rather good one. About the only EVE economy aspect I'd want to take though).

Without that our current game features would make trading far too un-enjoyable for the benefits.

The idea is that the server is big; therefore, travel times will take longer. To me, requesting faster ships is just laziness and will take away from the vastness of the landscape.

People will sort out how trade works, people always have.

should be able to use ores on a boat like the whips that will give wagons a speed boost :)

I hope to spend 6+ hours on my boat to find a far off spot.

some of the bigger boats should have a bed component added.. can moor and sleep through the night and get up the next day for more sailing!

• Like 1

The server should feel overwhelming. Boats and 45km/h horses may have gotten people used to this short, instant-gratification type of travel, but there's something to be said for a map that can't be completely memorized after just a few hours of living there.

> get some taming > get a traited hell horse > leave a boat near the border in a safe place > job done. 

not crossing but still need to get somewhere on the other side? use a hh.

Edited by Thrrim