If you make a round world - where would a next server be able to  go then? It won't...

• Like 2

Well treat it as though we are explorers as we never knew about Hawaii for a long while. If we make it round we can always add and expand. Remember this is fictional anything can happen. I like the idea of Xanadu being in the center and the other around it and we can always add to the center or expand. Pretty simple logisticaly speaking but code wise I am not sure.

If you make a round world - where would a next server be able to  go then? It won't...

Reset or replace an old one...?

What do you expect? A chain of 10 servers in a row and dozens of hours to get from one end to another? :/

What makes you think Wurm is a oblong spheroid? or even a planet?

Ring-worlds and Dyson Spheres are possibilities.

Personally its a convex disc supported by eight elephants that ride on the back of a great space-faring turtle.

• Like 2

Given that things don't disappear over the horizon I'd say its a flat plane.

Consider what happens when a ship crosses from one server to the next. A sort of warping/teleport action takes place. The sailing is not a smooth transition as if one server is really connected to the next. To me this would suggest that there could be a choice of which server to cross to from any other server. To facilitate this a selection screen could be made to pop up where one could select any other server to cross to and you would be warped onto that servers waters in the same manner that happens currently, without the ability to select the server at present.

For those who would then need a geographical reference point of the arrangement of the servers in relation to each other, a Dev map could be created for their placement. The servers as they stand now are really not connected to each other anyway, since if they were the sailing motion would not be interrupted by this warping/teleporting transition effect. To perpetuate this myth by having to transition through a series of them to sail to the others is hardly worth the excessive travel time involved, which is why I suggest this server crossing selection screen option instead.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Well... whether distances are 'excessive' or not are completely in the eye of the beholder of course. For myself: the larger a world is the more enjoyable. And yes, larger means needing more time to get from one place to the other and then to the next, else it is not larger.

But to each his/her own of course.

Although: both ways at same time are not viable, it's one OR the other, before that gets brought up once again.

The argument 'no-one forces you to not travel slowly while we travel fast hopping over everything' is not a viable one at all, we all know that once shortcuts are made, everyone HAS to follow those. It's simply expected and demanded to follow them if a player wants to remain playing at equal level to his peers. We all know without a shadow of a doubt, for instance, who's products will be bought by someone at some distance - from the seller who warps himself to the buyers doorstep, or from the one who loads everything into a sailboat, then onto a wagon, then perhaps onto another sailboat and repeat, until he finaly gets to buyers door. And that's just one example of which there are countless ones in all fields of play. So 'both ways together' are in no way viable, as soon as shortcuts are made everyone and their grandmother 'must' follow those, it's a law you see working in any game which starts making shortcuts for the hasty ones.

So pushing to get the shortcuts in - thats the right of those feeling that way (although success would definately drive off players). But please stop using this argument of 'no-one is forcing you' which gets brought up time and again when this is being discussed. That is a false argument and I think everyone knows that including those using it. :)

Indisputable fact.....using shortcuts is option. Its up to the player to decided if that is something he or she wants to do.

NO-ONE IS FORCING YOU. This is a true argument because it is fact. Please players of this mindset, exercise your right to choice, and try to respect that other people may have a different opinion of what is fun.

Both option can exists because player can exercise their right to chose. Now, compared to the opposite situation one player's view is being suppress per the wishes of another's opinion. That other could otherwise have the choice to choose to play his or her way. The simple fact that it doesn't work both ways shows that BOTH IS POSSIBLE and is actually the only way.

edit...hit post too early.

Edited by joedobo

As for myself, I would not use the phrase "no one is forcing you" in reference to any option within Wurm because really if there are options concerning any function within the game, this means an individual may choose and thus not be forced to use one option in particular. The only time force comes into play is when there is only one option, as in the instance of crossing server borders by ship when the transition is from one nebulosity to the next. With a screen popup that includes all the choices available, there is no force exerted in those particular choices when more selections are made available.

Certainly faster travel options by ships and other means between servers will influence players to more times than not choose the faster route. This is do not see as a bad thing. Yes, they will also allow players to choose whom they wish to do business with when travel to them would be by portals and those who only get their business due to closeness rather than established amenable relationships will loose business. I don't see this as a bad thing either. 

My leaning within Wurm has always been to provide choices for players, not exclusionary game mechanics which in turn restrict them. Even then there is a choice, although it devolves into using the restrictive mechanic or not using it at all. Beyond this, no one can even be "forced" to play the game, other than perhaps with a gun put to their head, which I would hardly think be worth the waste of a bullet. Semantics are important with the application of words within phrasing and using the word force as applied to choices is a bit beyond making sense.

=Ayes=

In any competitive action, the ability to bypass something, providing a benefit to those doing so, is no longer optional for those who want to remain competitive.  In shipping/sales, getting to/from a delivery point faster allows for greater revenue potential, in PVP this allows for players fleeing combat the ability to get away easier.

So it's not about not using an option if it is there, it is about the impact on players from doing so vs. the impact for those who do not.

If a player is not wanting to be competitive, very little in the way of any mechanic changes impacts them, as they will continue to do whatever they are doing as long as it remains to be allowed.

Personally, I don't care how the travel options fall out, but I'm in the "not wanting to be competitive" group.

Edited by Hussars

The argument about "choice" is quite theoretical. If you're willing to indulge in single-player mode, then you could choose the slow travel method. If you have people a) waiting for you to come over, B) waiting for you to make a delivery, c) wanting to travel together with you - then you will have to adjust to the modus operandi of those around you. And this is not just from a perspective of competitiveness, but from a cooperative aspect as well.

If you allow large-scale teleporting, then this will lead to geography becoming meaningless and the local fading in significance to the global. That convenient waystop deed on the server you were crossing before will become a memory of the past. Establishing relationships with your neighbours will not be important, because the crowd that you're dealing with can be spread out as much as you want. That you (Ayes) are actually arguing a technical limitation (teleporting into a new zone/server) into a reflection of how travel is meant to work in the world of Wurm is unconvincing and unnecessarily blindfolding yourself to the reason of this "feature" in this context.

How well "options" work in game mechanical terms is often seen when a feature deteriorates over time, and the lesser used option dwindles into extinction. No one makes an outcry at this point anymore, because the people following this option have obviously been "doing it wrong" all this time. For instance, with the changes in animal AI anybody who's not using 2x1 pens (on enchanted grass or crops) obviously hasn't understood how to handle animals and can now see their tiles packing due to movement and animals huddling in one corner. :huh:

Other than that, I'm not overly concerned about the layout of the servers... I am just looking forward to finally be able to travel between the old Freedom cluster and P&R. :)

• Like 1

The argument about "choice" is quite theoretical. If you're willing to indulge in single-player mode, then you could choose the slow travel method. If you have people a) waiting for you to come over, B) waiting for you to make a delivery, c) wanting to travel together with you - then you will have to adjust to the modus operandi of those around you. And this is not just from a perspective of competitiveness, but from a cooperative aspect as well.

If you allow large-scale teleporting, then this will lead to geography becoming meaningless and the local fading in significance to the global. That convenient waystop deed on the server you were crossing before will become a memory of the past. Establishing relationships with your neighbours will not be important, because the crowd that you're dealing with can be spread out as much as you want. That you (Ayes) are actually arguing a technical limitation (teleporting into a new zone/server) into a reflection of how travel is meant to work in the world of Wurm is unconvincing and unnecessarily blindfolding yourself to the reason of this "feature" in this context.

How well "options" work in game mechanical terms is often seen when a feature deteriorates over time, and the lesser used option dwindles into extinction. No one makes an outcry at this point anymore, because the people following this option have obviously been "doing it wrong" all this time. For instance, with the changes in animal AI anybody who's not using 2x1 pens (on enchanted grass or crops) obviously hasn't understood how to handle animals and can now see their tiles packing due to movement and animals huddling in one corner. :huh:

Other than that, I'm not overly concerned about the layout of the servers... I am just looking forward to finally be able to travel between the old Freedom cluster and P&R. :)

You are blessed to be living in a popular TZ.

When you are standing in my shoes, in which I only see European activity starting after Midnight Local Time (or Aussie players logging off when I can start to play), I would *extremely* welcome anything that helps bringing business partners in my zone together.

P.S.

I don't believe in large-scale porting, but I feel restricted intra-server portals, say once/hour, cannot drag things thru it, and only available on starter deeds, would be extremely welcome. So basically it becomes a "by courier" option.

• Like 2

My belief is that Xanadu should be placed off to one side or the other of the existing chain of servers unless he's going to give travelers the option to warp past it at the border. I've sailed across Indy in bad winds and I simply cannot imagine having to sail across a server 4 times that large just to reach another server on the other side of it. 

I've said before that I believe this server is just dividing the community and letting it disrupt travel between servers would just make that worse. 

My belief is that Xanadu should be placed off to one side or the other of the existing chain of servers unless he's going to give travelers the option to warp past it at the border. I've sailed across Indy in bad winds and I simply cannot imagine having to sail across a server 4 times that large just to reach another server on the other side of it. 

I've said before that I believe this server is just dividing the community and letting it disrupt travel between servers would just make that worse. 

From what we know so far, Xanadu would in no way disrupt your ability to travel between the servers you can currently travel between. Why should travel to far off places be made easy for you? Travlling to "new worlds" is not essential, so it should not be made easy. If there are any benefits to be had from experiencing these places, then there should be a considerable investment of time or resources to gain them.

Of course we could just ask for technology to be advanced a few hundred years and they could implement aircraft so you can get to where ever you want asap.

From what we know so far, Xanadu would in no way disrupt your ability to travel between the servers you can currently travel between. Why should travel to far off places be made easy for you? Travlling to "new worlds" is not essential, so it should not be made easy. If there are any benefits to be had from experiencing these places, then there should be a considerable investment of time or resources to gain them.

Of course we could just ask for technology to be advanced a few hundred years and they could implement aircraft so you can get to where ever you want asap.

I think they mean Xanadu shouldn't be placed between existing servers because that would make it so anyone going from (for example) Deliverance to Independence would suddenly also have to cross an additional distance of 4X the length of Inde. I've had to row a boat the distance of independence and I can say it's not the fastest journey ever. If Xanadu is off to one side (east of deliverance, for example), no one has to go through it to get to a different server. That way anyone meaning to go to Xan can get there, but someone trying to go elsewhere only has to get through the smaller servers.

No matter how Xanadu is connected to the other servers by ship travel, I will arrange it so that once I arrive there I will never need to depart again. Why? Because travel by ships in Wurm is so tediously a time consuming affair. This then in no way enhances ships as a desirable means for cross server travel. It only makes them a means of transportation to be avoided by most who would prefer to continue to pursue their interests at the various points of arrival. Sure, since there is no option to reach other servers other than by ships, they will and must be used by those who wish to do so. This in no way adds to their allure but rather makes a firm impression of their undesirability for this purpose.

Making Xanadu a remote and time consuming affair to reach will also not deter those who such as myself might desire to settle there. When I arrive, such as I did on Deliverance to build my alts deed there, I do not feel any sense of accomplishment but rather a relief that this hours eating journey is over with. Then I can finally enjoy what I have traveled there to do. With this in mind, my opinion is that Wurm travel times should be minimized in favor of reaching ones destination, not turned into time consuming affairs with various impediments (aggro attacks) put in the way to make the journey even longer. This merely turns the whole travel experience into an annoyance in which ways are searched for to make it less so.

=Ayes=

Do you even have a clue what the current server arrangement is? Or that lots of players sail between servers every day for trade or just to visit friends on other servers? Putting Xanadu into the middle of the chain of servers would be akin to someone plopping and entire country down in between your home and your work place and telling you to just drive across it. You'd bemoan the extra hours of your life that you'd have to waste in travel time and that's what I'm doing here. 

It shouldn't be placed where it would alter current travel times but if it IS then we should be given an option to cross it quickly. IMO asking for fast travel across it is no more unrealistic than the ability to suddenly insert it in the middle of an established travel route to start with. 

Do you even have a clue what the current server arrangement is? Or that lots of players sail between servers every day for trade or just to visit friends on other servers? Putting Xanadu into the middle of the chain of servers would be akin to someone plopping and entire country down in between your home and your work place and telling you to just drive across it. You'd bemoan the extra hours of your life that you'd have to waste in travel time and that's what I'm doing here. 

It shouldn't be placed where it would alter current travel times but if it IS then we should be given an option to cross it quickly. IMO asking for fast travel across it is no more unrealistic than the ability to suddenly insert it in the middle of an established travel route to start with. 

Calm down dear, there is no suggestion that your current travel arrangements will be affected. :rolleyes:

As I said before:

From what we know so far, Xanadu would in no way disrupt your ability to travel between the servers you can currently travel between.

Where has it been announced that Xanadu will be placed:

into the middle of the chain of servers

Try waiting until they actually announce it's placement, then you can start your whining.