Posted from other topic, my bad, wrong topic:

Can anyone explain why Xanadu test goes with 50k monsters on this size of a map?

In the past we have had so many issues with inde with finishing lag or sleepbonus lag. Is this server 16 times better that it is able to survive long term? Is the aim to remove old servers? I hope you realize not everyone will move, we have invested 10's of thousands of bricks and mortar in the deed, why would we ever leave that behind? 

Inde has 52k monsters, loads of items. 

Xanadu is 16x that size, we would need 800k monsters and millions and million and millions of items to get even a decent test done. I don't understand how this test tonight can give you any results in what the future of this server will bring.

Have you thought about travel times, about the mailing system? People right now need to travel for hours to get to the other side of inde, on Xanadu it will be impossible and you would need multiple stops to sleep overnight before you can continue walking. Picking up a simple huge axe is taking hours of work because you can't mail them. This system needs a HUGE remake. 

Is things like ORE going to be location specific, are ores going to be easily moveable? Does one have to travel with wagon for over 30 hours to the other side of the server to get the ore? I hope all things are considered if such things are added into the game. Or certain corps. MANY things need looking at creating such a big server. More than devs can see before release, they will need player input to judge what needs to be changed/looked at  before releasing such a huge server. And what are you going to do that gets players to move there? Will it be good enough for players to leave all their created mortar/bricks behind?

Right now it does not look like wurm has the amount of players to require such a big server. Unless you expect it to bring 10000 new players, or shut down the old ones.

Another thing i got suggested is, is this going to be a steam-only server? Are the plans to greenlight wurm on steam and make all those players go to this new huge server expecting a huge rush of players?

• Like 3

uhhhhhhhhh

how can you get 1000 people into a server from a low pop game, in a hour window

assuming there is 4 spawn points, if 500 try the server and are randomly assigned, the client will crash with the numbers, making the whole thing meaningless

The assumption of 4 spawn points is one you shouldn't make. For a test like this there's no need to use specific spawn points, players can just randomly spawn in the world. With the size of the  map there's millions of tiles, so even with 1000 players logging in you might not even have another player in your local during the entire test.

Do you actually KNOW for a fact that this will be using the regular test client, or is it merely guess and/or speculation?

Have you thought about travel times, about the mailing system? People right now need to travel for hours to get to the other side of inde, on Xanadu it will be impossible and you would need multiple stops to sleep overnight before you can continue walking. Picking up a simple huge axe is taking hours of work because you can't mail them. This system needs a HUGE remake. 

Is things like ORE going to be location specific, are ores going to be easily moveable? Does one have to travel with wagon for over 30 hours to the other side of the server to get the ore? I hope all things are considered if such things are added into the game. Or certain corps. MANY things need looking at creating such a big server. More than devs can see before release, they will need player input to judge what needs to be changed/looked at  before releasing such a huge server. And what are you going to do that gets players to move there? Will it be good enough for players to leave all their created mortar/bricks behind?

Actually a lot of interesting items in there - A mailbox rework would be nice indeed or really..do away with them...keep things more local. As for the distances - I see that as a reason for hotels now. I cant count the number of times I have seen people asking about the feasibility of hotels...Might become a reality now. Ores being regionally specific would pose an interesting issue. One could set up trading posts along hiways and ship ores to your various sales points. The distance is one of the most interesting aspects in my mind. it opens a lot of doors.

• Like 1

WKM, the animal cap is 50,000 for the test. Why would they need more monsters? Do you want to fight hordes of mobs while stress testing the server?

Think for a second, dammit!

• Like 1

WKM, the animal cap is 50,000 for the test. Why would they need more monsters? Do you want to fight hordes of mobs while stress testing the server?

Think for a second, dammit!

To make sure the server is able to hold so many animals without causing server lag...

• Like 1

With a map of this sheer size, people could go for hour walks without encountering anyone, the possibility endless of what could happen. The amount of land you could even control would be practically limitless (Unless you are a land control freak) The continent alone would take years for the Wurm community to settle in to it as they have Independence for an example. This project sounds extremely impressive and would be a massive step up in my opinion.

• Like 5

I got the e-mail, let me at the server!

I wonder what would happen if this was just a late April Fools prank, and we all logged in on a single tiny sand island with a coconut tree.

• Like 9

I wonder what would happen if this was just a late April Fools prank, and we all logged in on a single tiny sand island with a coconut tree.

i hope it is,is this is really going to 64 times the size of most pve servers (inde its 4 times the size of the rest and this is 16 times the size of inde) imagine how fun its going to be to sail for 54 hours going on a sailboat at max speed traveling from north to south

i hope it is,is this is really going to 64 times the size of most pve servers (inde its 4 times the size of the rest and this is 16 times the size of inde) imagine how fun its going to be to sail for 54 hours going on a sailboat at max speed traveling from north to south

54 hours?

It is 4 times wider than Independence, okay?

At 8 km/h (slowest sailing speed in a sail boat) it will take 8 hours to sail from one end to another, and to sail around would take 32 hours.

• Like 1

54 hours?

It is 4 times wider than Independence, okay?

At 8 km/h (slowest sailing speed in a sail boat) it will take 8 hours to sail from one end to another, and to sail around would take 32 hours.

i think this guy its right and its really 10 hours

Edited by Tpikol

Distance issues can be solved by hiring person who can transport stuff.

I guess it's preparation for steam >.>.

I will say that the concept of a massive continuous server goes well in line with the spirit of Wurm and helps increase the feel of consistency and vastness.

However, even with as little as 600 players online (and a low creature count) the network lag makes the game pretty much unplayable on Xanadu even in its fresh state. This type of server obviously isn't ready for prime time.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 2

It is server lag, not network lag, as far as I understood from Rolf.

But yeah, I would love for this kind of massive server to be possible, this is what Wurm is all about.

• Like 1

All the client devs have been dropping hints that it's BIG and AWESOME, and...well, I was just there. Tested 4 out of the 10 starting areas.

Ok, it's big. And empty. Where's the awesome?

All that chatter about suspected features... rivers... 3D mining... ice caps... tropical beaches...

And what I see is a blank slate a butt-ton bigger than any of the current maps.

So, unless I've not seen something, it's just a big, new, empty server larger than the current ones, with zilch for new features.

None of which even remotely entice me to abandon my deed on Pristine and move over to Xanadu.

• Like 2

Xanadu is what all the Epic maps need to be (with PvP), each map needs to be that massive and beautifully sculpted.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a giant server but...

1. Wurm can you support 1000 players online simultaneously with nearly no lag?

2. In order to match Indy's creature density Xanadu would need 800,000 creatures (16 * 50k). Wurm could do things to make better use of less. For example, force mob spawning into concentrated areas which would remove the unfavorable situation where hunters have to wander for hours seeking targets. Although, I see no easy way to deal with domestic creatures. This server could easily support 10k + deeds. At 25 domestic creatures per a deed that is 250k domestic creatures just for deeds. I have solutions (ones which haven't been well liked) magic object/tool to pull vehicles (horse substitute), or animal storage buildings (server stops running AI and stores animals inside in a static state).

edit 1.   1k players is mostly to support current player levels + a little buffer. Its hard to say with growth just how many would be online with such a large server. We would need to look at usable land and a deed size distribution similar to other servers covering all of Xanadu. It should be possible to estimate how many would be online if a large portion of Xanadu was utilized.

Edited by joedobo

I wouldn't mind dumping the epic home servers, and a massive map ( with lots of lake systems for boat pop) being put in for ele/homeservers

• Like 2

I have a fairly low end laptop and had no trouble at all.  ;)