Sign in to follow this  
chachajenkins

Tobacco

As a person who enjoys having a puff on my tobacco pipe, I would personally enjoy seeing tobacco being added as a cultivatable crop. Naturally, having the ability to create a smoking pipe and stick it in your mouth would compliment the idea. It dosen't need to have any special status effects, I just think having a pipe in your mouth while riding through the woods can add to atmosphere in my mind.

What is everyone's opinion on having tobacco and pipes added to the game? Sorry if this has been asked before, didn't find any threads about this.

• Like 1

Can already tell you this is a No from the game rules, Heck, people already complain about Wemp, this would be a even higher level.  :ph34r:

Actually per game rules smoking a pipe would be fine, as it only says illegal drugs and the abuse of drugs. I'd think this is further from rule breaking than Wemp. However, don't take this as my opinion as to for/against this idea, that comes later.

Mmm maybe if we ever have some kind of stress or mood stat system.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like to see coffee beans. ;)

• Like 1

+1

Add some papyrus and roll cigars, now we need to figure out which deed is the Havana of wurm

+1 but i know many people rant about even saying name tobacco.

Imo it add atmosphere and illusion of old ways.

Oh yeah and coffee or strong tea please :)

I like the idea. Even if it's just for the visuals

Im an avid smoker in RL, but concering the current trends in media in general, adding smoking to the game could be a publics relations disaster.  Even more, with talks of entering the steam system, where the scrutiny will be much more strict.

Right now the game can get away with a lot of things, because the game was alpha, then beta, and now its a niche game.   But when that is over, smoking in media is a controversial topic.

• Like 1

Im an avid smoker in RL, but concering the current trends in media in general, adding smoking to the game could be a publics relations disaster.  Even more, with talks of entering the steam system, where the scrutiny will be much more strict.

Right now the game can get away with a lot of things, because the game was alpha, then beta, and now its a niche game.   But when that is over, smoking in media is a controversial topic.

Seriously, has smoking ever stopped any game from being published?

Concerning Steam, there's hundreds of "worse" games that include smoking, or even heavier themes such as sex, drugs, heavy bloodshed or alcohol. (Besides Wurm already has booze and butchering monsters or humans.) Saying Steam would have any problem with pipes is bogus.

The last game which they cancelled in a very long time was South Park, for obvious reasons and that was not because of Steam but because of offended countries.

So no, I don't think a typical Gandalf-like pipe being lit while musing around in carpentry, adding flair to a fantasy environment as in so many successful movies or games, would cause heavy controversy and pressure on Wurms publishing...

Edited by Kamill
  • Like 1

Seriously, has smoking ever stopped any game from being published?

Concerning Steam, there's hundreds of "worse" games that include smoking, or even heavier themes such as sex, drugs, heavy bloodshed or alcohol. (Besides Wurm already has booze and butchering monsters or humans.) Saying Steam would have any problem with pipes is bogus.

The last game which they cancelled in a very long time was South Park, for obvious reasons and that was not because of Steam but because of offended countries.

So no, I don't think a typical Gandalf-like pipe being lit while musing around in carpentry, adding flair to a fantasy environment as in so many successful movies or games, would cause heavy controversy and pressure on Wurms publishing...

Today Wurm is PG, bring this issues to the public and age restrictions will have to come into effect.

Today Wurm is PG, bring this issues to the public and age restrictions will have to come into effect.

• Like 1

And how much of our playerbase are actually children? How many children are able to comprehend Wurm's complexity and are bound to it rather than playing any other game designed for their ages?

It is not as complex as you think, any 12 year old kid could learn to play the game without any issue.   I dont have statistics about the age of the playerbase, but I will answer your question with another question.

From the Steam system, wich Wurm pretends to join in order to get more population, what percentage you would imagine are 16 years old or less ?

And how much of our playerbase are actually children? How many children are able to comprehend Wurm's complexity and are bound to it rather than playing any other game designed for their ages?

Well considering how most of the player base act.. must be quite a few.

Edited by Asciana
  • Like 2

Mmm.. if we could do pipes with tabacco.. we could do ash trays?:P New pottery thingy?

It is not as complex as you think, any 12 year old kid could learn to play the game without any issue.   I dont have statistics about the age of the playerbase, but I will answer your question with another question.

From the Steam system, wich Wurm pretends to join in order to get more population, what percentage you would imagine are 16 years old or less ?

Yes, it is complex, not to you and me, but to young people. They won't have the patience like most Wurmians, even most adults don't. Kids that age can learn the game sure, if they bother. But do they have the nerve to? Honestly, you'd believe if they were to choose between grinding hours of farming to get some tobacco, or playing Call of Duty, a child would actually pick first? And Of the 2-3 people in Wurm that are possibly under 12, I'd bet they have already seen heavier things than a game model smoking a pipe.

The age protection on Steam is a joke, there is no validation. How many of those 16 or less year olds have already played worse games? Think of all the kids playing Counter Strike etc., do they care about an age rating? Does anyone? A heavier rating would likely not cut off our 0.1% underage playerbase.

• Like 1

Yes, it is complex, not to you and me, but to young people. They won't have the patience like most Wurmians, even most adults don't. Kids that age can learn the game sure, if they bother. But do they have the nerve to? Honestly, you'd believe if they were to choose between grinding hours of farming to get some tobacco, or playing Call of Duty, a child would actually pick first? And Of the 2-3 people in Wurm that are possibly under 12, I'd bet they have already seen heavier things than a game model smoking a pipe.

The age protection on Steam is a joke, there is no validation. How many of those 16 or less year olds have already played worse games? Think of all the kids playing Counter Strike etc., do they care about an age rating? Does anyone? A heavier rating would likely not cut off our 0.1% underage playerbase.

I think you overstimate how complex the game is.  The unintuitive wogic is the most difficult part of the game, and the lack of proper HUD.   I have interacted with several underage players, just in my local, and just the ones I actually took the time to ask about their age, or to talk long enough for the age subject to come up.  So they may not be as few as you think.

Circumventing any law or restriction is easy, Steam is no different.

I agree with you that the actual number of players already interested, that may be deterred by an age rating is minimal, and would be unnoticeable to the current player base.

I just worry about PR problems, mainly because I am a smoker, and I know first hand the kind of persecution we are subject to, and the animosity that anti-tobacco lobbyst can have.

Just as silly example, on every pack of cigarettes I buy, theres a picture of amputated limbs or burned lungs, or people on their death beds, and such. And on the other side of the pack a sign the size of th epack itself reading "Smoking causes Cancer" or "Smoking causes Lung Enfisema".   I havent whitnessed this kind of thing in any other potentially dangerous products.

Hell. Make option to add bubble mode then.

When others smoke that player sees bubbles comes out of hes mouth.

Just like phobia mode...hehe this is silly :)

Make it have traits like horses. This Crop has a certain hue to it ( makes the smoke purplish) etc etc, make it so that you can breed plants features like your character blows smoke rings when using it, or a heart, a dragon, etc. nice magically cosmetic things for fun.

• Like 1