Sign in to follow this  
Rhiannone

Storing Fish

I'm almost certain such an idea has been posted before at least once if not twenty times. However here goes!

It would be nice to be able to preserve fish similar to how we preserve meat. Maybe just simply allow fish to be stored in an fsb, or add some fun to it.

We wurmians are always looking for an interesting way to do things, so what if  the fish needed be salted and stored in a cool dry place. (such as in a cave hung along a rope or piece of string left to dry). After the process was done, the fish could last for a wurmian year so long as it remained in the storage area (cave). Maybe it would start small amounts of damage after 3 seasons past in wurm. Then after the 4th season was over, dmg/decay would increase so fast that it would simply clean out old stock almost over night. This process could also be used without salt, however in that case decay would come much quicker. (of course in this scenerio, fish would remain unable to go into a fsb at any point)

Another route/idea  we be that we could salt/dry the fish in the cave for a few wurm weeks  before putting it into a fsb.  You could say that fish hanging to dry without salt would take small amounts of dmg as it dried, therefore lowering quality. While salted fish would not take damage while drying. Once dried,  you could just you simply place the fish in an fsb for storage.

Or, you could be simple and uninteresting, yet add functionality by giving us the ability to cook fish as we do meat, cool it then store in an fsb.

I think this would just be a great boost for those fishermen/women priests out there who bring in hundreds of lbs of fish, only to watch them decay because there is no way of preservation. Of course as is, we simply cook them up for skill. However, even when we do that we end up with hundreds of meals that need to be sacrificed else they go to decay. Yes I know, saccing meals is a great way to bump up healing bonus for  your village but you can only do this so much!

Preserving fish for later use has at least as much history if not more than preserving meat in history. If we can shove cooked meat in a fsb and have it last forever, save the small monthly kg% loss, I see no reason why this won't work for fish.

• Like 1

I would love a smoking rack. As you add fish and/or filets, it fills up like a weapons rack does.

• Like 1

Not to shut down your ideas and such, but there is a pretty comprehensive thread about drying and storing Fish here, so perhaps idea could be pulled from there too, or vise versa? http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/92695-fishing-items/#entry928682

(Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of storing Fish, just thought I'd throw that thread out there as it was just linked in another fishing type thread, and I thought it would be appropriate to add here)

Thats actually rather close to what I had in mind, thanks.

• Like 1

I saw that one after this one. Then the fishing rod rack. Then the whale hunting. I think a lot of people are ready to end winter and his the surf for some scaly meals.

• Like 1