Sign in to follow this  
Eadwulf

Give ships some love!

Just a couple of thing to make ships more effective and usable. 

1. Quality has an effect on top speed. At the moment ql just decreases decay rate and anything above 10ql will float. If current maximum speeds were set for a ship/boat of 50ql. Above this the ship speed would be increased slightly, below it would be decreased. This would also give good shipbuilders some renown and maybe a little more income. 
  2. Allow a raise/lower sail action. At the moment boats/ships have 2 speeds. Wind and Wind plus Rowing. Have different states of sail between fully lowered and fully raise. 3-5 "levels" would be enough to allow better control for navigation when coming into dock and also entering/navigating canals. There is nothing quite like spending a few minutes push/pulling your Knarr down off a cliff because you entered the cave entrance with the wind behind you! Or beaching every few minutes in a blackness of Colossus Snake Canal on Inde for the same reason.    

I believe that both of these would make travelling by sea a much more pleasurable experience. So please for the love of Vynora consider these ideas!

• Like 15

about #8 time i give +1 to any improvements in current sailing.

+1

Edited by silakka
  • Like 2

I'd love more interaction with ships, +1 to improvements in sailing.

Now if we could only walk about our deck and interact using the wheel at the helm.

• Like 1

+1. Could be something small, like a 1ql boat being 10% slower and a 99ql boat 10% faster than a 50ql boat.

Edited by Alexcross
  • Like 1

I would gladly support a change to better sailing the high seas as someone whom has little time to wait around for a change in wind. For example last night I had roughly 3 hours to play and about 80% of that was crossing deli southbound at 4km/h light breeze from west. The other 20% was ass-dragging between a public token and a public trader so that I could buy a settlement form.

I would only hope Soooomething is planned for speeding up sailing on these future large servers, even if its just boosting minimum speeds

Edited by Kristoff

+1

The idea of being able to control the sail and speed more when navigating around land would be a huge gift. 

+1, been suggesting QL affects speed for years and adjustable sails would be good too.

Highly doubt quality of ships will make ship builders much money. You need too few of them per person, and they are never used up. They would need reimping once per 4-6 months tops.

I don't disagree with the changes (I know there's a big holdback because of the influence on PvP last I heard this discussion), but I don't think it'll fix the shipmaking industry.

Highly doubt quality of ships will make ship builders much money. You need too few of them per person, and they are never used up. They would need reimping once per 4-6 months tops.

Yes there are too few per person. Most people will only buy a sailboat and a ship (mainly either a Cog or a Knarr). However when given a choice between a sailboat that's say 25ql and one that's 70ql, which under a change like this is faster, what one would you choose to buy? Quality has an affect on just about every other usable item in game, so why not boats and ships too?

Wholeheartedy +1. Those are two great suggestions that would really take sailing to the next level.

We have this amazing sea system in Wurm, where we can sail anywhere we like with boats that we make ourselves. We can even transport goods in our boats. Few games have that. Let's take it to the next level and make sea life trully epic. It's begging for it! :)

+1 I was just taking a long trip via boat and thinking these exact things.  Please give sailing some love.

You'll have to realize though with tying in ql with ship speed: most of you will be going slower, not faster, the day that this happens. :)

As a result, a shitstorm about ninja nerfs, nerfing of sailing, etc will make the forum go round for many days before it gets reverted (or not).

I see where you are going with this, Marshlander. And it's a distinct possibility. I still think it's worth doing. We shouldn't let a "shitstorm" stop us from adding good features. Especially since the fix to the "nerf" will be just to get your local shipbuilder to imp yo' ride. It would really benefit the profession too :)

+1  

Something seems off with the state of sailing in Wurm.

How about ship QL decreases the effect of sailing against wind or something as well?  I've nearly given up sailing because every time I get in a ship, I'm stuck creeping along against strong winds...